Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleTrap

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2018
There is literally no Apple machine that o worth buying right now.
iMac - sealed mess
Mac Mini - Connect anything to USB and it will fry your Wifi and Bluetooth. T2 crashes
MacBook Pro - Gift that keeps on giving. T2 crashes for sure but just you wait...with every passing year, it will surprise you with a new kind of issue.

I feel sick to the stomach using Apple nowadays. Just here for the OS...hoping the slide in its QC will stop soon

Reactions: GalileoSeven

developer13245

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2012
Obvious answer is to return it to the retailer. Duh

ya think so, but we contacted the retailer and discovered its a dead end. They won't even spend the money to send us a return label. The customer account used to order the laptop was not my wife's, but a fake account. So even if they sent us a return label there's a risk that whoever accesses the fake account will just get a cash credit that can be converted to actual cash. Unbelievable, but yes, the retailer is that stupid. I guess being so big (A->Z) makes that not matter.

To them it's more trouble than its worth to retrieve it.

The credit card company, retailer, and even the police cannot be bothered with it.

But the serial number is now reported as stolen merchandise, meaning no warranty. That's the extent of the action taken.

So it's a write off, and basically garbage.
[automerge]1575574050[/automerge]
Don't destroy it, Take it to an. Apple Store, or a Best Buy, explain what happened, and tell them to take it. Someone could use that
See above.
But even "theoretically" the only entity that has the ability to "recover" (clear serial number, etc..) the item is Apple. But those recovery costs aren't even worth it. And, I'm certainly not going to waste an ounce of effort to help Apple, or the retailer.

At most, I could re-box, stick a pre-paid return label, and set it on my doorstep for pickup (additional cost to retailer - see where this is going??). But then I risk the thief just stealing it again - off MY doorstep. I'm certainly not going to drop it off anywhere - why even risk a door ding when parked outside the UPS store?

[automerge]1575574420[/automerge]
And you assume this for what reason?
1. Credit card number gets stolen, and laptop is ordered and delivered to address associated with card.
2. Package gets taken off doorstep by a thief.

Coordinated steps require a certain level of organization. It's not simple theft.

Last edited:

developer13245

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2012
Even worse the perpetrators could have planted a tampered laptop on your doorstep. If they've put malware on it, they can potentially get all kinds of data from a user(s) if you decide to keep/gift it. This is a tough one.

I'm quite sure the whole thing was a plot by Apple and the retailer to kill me (they both hate me), then frame my wife. It's probably loaded with Semtex with a detonator wired to the power button.

However it meets its end, much distance will be placed between it and myself. I'm a person with certain "skills", which exceed these:

(I'm very, very, good and long distance "outreach")

• Haha
Reactions: dan110

Soccertess

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
Apple had the best year
Iphones got what users wanted better battery camera perf
Macbook better battery thermals and reliable keyboard
Proper mac pro
Better airpods

MacBook got a thicker condom, but it's still full of stds though

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Lalatoon

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
The problem I have is that he’s doing all the grandstanding as Apples CEO. If he wants to be a social political activist he should retire from Apple. Then he is free to preach all he wants.

I don’t give a rats behind about politics. Tired of all the BS in today’s politics. The government is corrupt. Always has been always gonna be. So your wrong about my attacking his politics.

Then I recommend that you vote, specifically for anti-corporate candidates, since you’re referencing corruption. The biggest corruption issue for a long time has been the invasion and takeover of government by corporations.

Reactions: GalileoSeven

V_Man

Cancelled
Aug 1, 2013
Then I recommend that you vote, specifically for anti-corporate candidates, since you’re referencing corruption. The biggest corruption issue for a long time has been the invasion and takeover of government by corporations.
Isn’t that exactly what Apple is doing. Pushing the company into politics. Apple is just as corrupt as any large corporation. You don’t get that big without doing some things that are questionable or shadyish.

Big corporations run the world. Like it or hate it. It’s not changing anytime soon

Reactions: PC_tech

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
Isn’t that exactly what Apple is doing. Pushing the company into politics. Apple is just as corrupt as any large corporation. You don’t get that big without doing some things that are questionable or shadyish.

Big corporations run the world. Like it or hate it. It’s not changing anytime soon

Sure, Apple is lobbying. Compared to other corporations and industries, Apple’s lobbying is nothing. Look at the lobbying that ruined the patent system, for example. That’s a systemic issue, not an individual company to blame (as far as I know; maybe someone like IBM spent a majority sum on lobbying to allow filing of software patents, I don’t know).

Then there’s an entire party that wants to destroy all regulation of business. Sigh.

What I’m saying is: There are OPTIONS. Walking away and just blowing it all off as “corrupt” or whatever, is shirking the duty of American citizens to participate in our own governance. If we don’t put anti-corporate politicians into power, we are just rolling over and taking it.

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
iMac - sealed mess
Mac Mini - Connect anything to USB and it will fry your Wifi and Bluetooth. T2 crashes
MacBook Pro - Gift that keeps on giving. T2 crashes for sure but just you wait...with every passing year, it will surprise you with a new kind of issue.

I feel sick to the stomach using Apple nowadays. Just here for the OS...hoping the slide in its QC will stop soon

great answer ! I am still using my 2012 non-retina fully upgradable MacBook Pro which suits me fine. 2010-2012 MacBook Pro.. these were built with love and care. Apple today doesn’t care - all they Care about is how small they can make the MacBook pro and stop upgradability.

georgB

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2004
Europe
Tim Cook, if you’re listening! Here we are, on MacRumors, a long-standing website dedicated to the Mac and other Apple products. Its denizens are mostly experienced and dedicated, really hard-core, Mac users - of which I am one. Some of us are uncritical fan-boys, but most of us use Macs simply because they were always the best machines around. Have you seen what this community and others like it have been saying about Macs recently? For perhaps the first time we have been talking about how disappointing and frustrating Macs and the MacOS have become. We’re talking about putting off upgrades and new Mac purchases, and even mentioning ditching Macs altogether and discussing alternatives.

If this is happening here, with us, what do you think others, those who’ve never used a Mac, Windows users and first-time computer buyers, are thinking? How many $2,500 Macs do you think you’re not selling? Many, and counting. Many of us are beginning to think that Apple is no longer interested in Macs, and maybe even on course to stop producing them altogether in the not-too-distant future. We believe that would be a big mistake. Please give us and others products we can love and want to have again. Apple did it once, and I’m sure you can do it again. It’d be a win-win situation.

Last edited:

ChrisMoBro

Suspended
Oct 31, 2016
No. The whole ridiculous use of the word 'gate' being appended to every minute problem needs to stop. This is not a 'gate'. Do you even know why that word was initially used? (without resorting to google?)
Dude, I’ve listened to all 20 hours of David Reynolds audiobook ‘Empire of Liberty’ as well countless documentaries so I probably know more than some Americans (I’m British). I’m a history buff so, yeah, I know the context and I was being ironical.

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
Tim Cook, if you’re listening! Here we are, on MacRumors, a long-standing website dedicated to the Mac and other Apple products. Its denizens are mostly experienced and dedicated, really hard-core, Mac users - of which I am one. Some of us are uncritical fan-boys, but most of us use Macs simply because they were always the best machines around. Have you seen what this community and others like it have been saying about Macs recently? For perhaps the first time we have been talking about how disappointing and frustrating Macs and the MacOS have become. We’re talking about putting off upgrades and new Mac purchases, and even mentioning ditching Macs altogether and discussing alternatives.

If this is happening here, with us, what do you think others, those who’ve never used a Mac, Windows users and first-time computer buyers, are thinking? How many $2,500 Macs do you think you’re not selling? Many, and counting. Many of us are beginning to think that Apple is no longer interested in Macs, and maybe even on course to stop producing them altogether in the not-too-distant future. We believe that would be a big mistake. Please give us and others products we can love and want to have again. Apple did it once, and I’m sure you can do it again. It’d be a win-win situation.

hi, I agree with your post, however Cook is a business man and a Steve Jobs he will never be. Even the keynotes suck now. Apple is very overpriced with their 6000 dollar Mac Pro and they price gouge you with their 16 inch non-upgradable junk MacBook Pro and make you buy dongle after dongle.

The Apple we all grew up with is long gone and it died with Jobs. I have a 2012 MacBook Pro non-retina and just put a 1 TB SSD drive in it, I might even try to put 32 GB memory in it. Yes, Apple is designing junk and also cook doesn’t care about macrumors or us in general. His mistakes will cost Apple at best.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I have the early 2019 MacBook Pro with 4 Thunderbolt 3 ports and no issues here. Wonder why it's just affecting the 2 thunderbolt 3 port models refreshed in July.
There are differences in the design and chipsets. I have experienced some shutdown issues on my 1.4GHz model and will look into this possible fix.

GalileoSeven

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2015
iMac - sealed mess

I wouldn't call the iMac a mess necessarily - my 27" has performed flawlessly. Everything else though? Spot on.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Apple really needs to retire the 13" 2015-2019 macbook pro's. we've already seen with the 16" that they CAN make a better laptop.

The thermal design, ultra thin size, keyboard and throttling of the 2015-2019 model years just showcased how out of touch the design team and the tech team were on how to implement good quality laptop.

Really excited though the prospect of them just ditching the 2019 13" and replacing it with the same upgrades they did in the 16".

V_Man

Cancelled
Aug 1, 2013
Sure, Apple is lobbying. Compared to other corporations and industries, Apple’s lobbying is nothing. Look at the lobbying that ruined the patent system, for example. That’s a systemic issue, not an individual company to blame (as far as I know; maybe someone like IBM spent a majority sum on lobbying to allow filing of software patents, I don’t know).

Then there’s an entire party that wants to destroy all regulation of business. Sigh.

What I’m saying is: There are OPTIONS. Walking away and just blowing it all off as “corrupt” or whatever, is shirking the duty of American citizens to participate in our own governance. If we don’t put anti-corporate politicians into power, we are just rolling over and taking it.

nothing will change in our lifetimes. Politics are run by money and guess who has the money.

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2018

That's funny, I got a 2-day ban for injecting politics outside of the PSRI forums.

Hey mods, you going to enforce the rules equally?

I feel offended at my party being insulted albeit not mentioned directly.

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
nothing will change in our lifetimes. Politics are run by money and guess who has the money.

“Nothing will change”, quoth all the people who use the statement to justify not voting.

How exactly do you think that it will ever change if people shirk their responsibility to be involved?

Like I said: vote for anti-corporate candidates wherever you can find them. Getting money out of power is a society problem, not one of waiting for fate, in future generations.
[automerge]1576178502[/automerge]
That's funny, I got a 2-day ban for injecting politics outside of the PSRI forums.

Hey mods, you going to enforce the rules equally?

I feel offended at my party being insulted albeit not mentioned directly.

You feel offended by what? What insult?

V_Man

Cancelled
Aug 1, 2013
“Nothing will change”, quoth all the people who use the statement to justify not voting.

How exactly do you think that it will ever change if people shirk their responsibility to be involved?

Like I said: vote for anti-corporate candidates wherever you can find them. Getting money out of power is a society problem, not one of waiting for fate, in future generations.

I’m not complaining. I’m pretty happy with the way my life is going.

V_Man

Cancelled
Aug 1, 2013
So you’re one of the people with the money?
Not me. I live a comfortable but not extravagant life. Make enough to live on and have some fun. Not gonna lie my parents have some money. But that’s theirs.

Why is it if someone is content with their life and not interested in the political BS, they are looked down at. I’m worry about me. It’s not my place to worry about others.

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
Not me. I live a comfortable but not extravagant life. Make enough to live on and have some fun. Not gonna lie my parents have some money. But that’s theirs.

Why is it if someone is content with their life and not interested in the political BS, they are looked down at. I’m worry about me. It’s not my place to worry about others.

I’m glad you’re comfortable and content. I hope you manage to live the rest of your life as comfortable and content. Many of us aren’t. I grew up lower-middle-class, but now I’m in poverty (no, it’s not my own fault).

Who’s looking down on you here? I responded to what seemed to be your complaints about corruption. You said you’re not complaining. Sounded like you were, but ok then.

It IS your place to be involved in your governance, at least by voting. If anyone is looking down on you, maybe it’s for commenting that the government is corrupt but not being willing to participate in the system.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.