Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In an internal document shared with Apple Authorized Service Providers today, obtained by MacRumors, Apple has indicated that some customers may report that the camera button on the Smart Battery Case for the iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, or iPhone 11 Pro Max does not function correctly.

smartbatterycasebutton-800x450.jpg

Before providing service, Apple has advised technicians to ensure the iPhone is updated to the latest iOS version, noting that the camera button will not function correctly unless the device is running iOS 13.2 or later.

Apple has also advised technicians to remind customers that a single quick press of the button will not launch the Camera app in order to avoid unintentional presses. The button must be pressed and held for the app to open. Holding the button for too long, however, will close the Camera app and return to the Lock screen.

All in all, Apple does not appear to be acknowledging an actual issue with the cases here, but rather helping to clear up some confusion.

Smart Battery Cases for the iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, and iPhone 11 Pro Max launched late last month and are priced at $129 for all models. The cases are available in White and Black, and the Pro versions also come in Pink Sand.

Article Link: Apple Advises iPhone 11 Smart Battery Case Users to Update to iOS 13.2 to Ensure Camera Button Works Properly

ryanarrr

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2014
I'm up to date and it's not reliable for me. Fine in Camera, but in notes it's roughly 50/50 whether it acts as shutter release or switches to the camera app.

13.2.3 / iPhone 11 Pro

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Another ButtonGate. You heard it here first folks. /s

But honestly, it's not a simple button, yet it should be. It's literally a "gesture-button", in that the right amount of trigger is needed for it to work correctly. Press it differently and the outcome is different.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
Should have made it standard on the phone itself.
Do people not know that the Volume Up button works to take pictures? Why would we need an additional shutter button when we already have one?

miniyou64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
How anyone can look at those OLED screens without a splitting headache is beyond me

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
How anyone can look at those OLED screens without a splitting headache is beyond me
I’ve read some people do indeed have issues with the OLED screens. Too bad to hear that. Its a good thing the LCD screens are still so good that its not that big of a deal really to not have the OLED.

Reactions: miniyou64

miniyou64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
I’ve read some people do indeed have issues with the OLED screens. Too bad to hear that. Its a good thing the LCD screens are still so good that its not that big of a deal really to not have the OLED.

I just got the phone 2 days ago wasso excited. In the dark it was like looking at lightning. Couldn’t focus on a thing, made me nauseous. Never happens with my 7. Beyond disappointed. Apple is so concious of disability issues, but puts out a phone called Pro that a good percentage of its users can’t use because of the technology? Wow.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I just got the phone 2 days ago wasso excited. In the dark it was like looking at lightning. Couldn’t focus on a thing, made me nauseous. Never happens with my 7. Beyond disappointed. Apple is so concious of disability issues, but puts out a phone called Pro that a good percentage of its users can’t use because of the technology? Wow.
What would be a good percentage of users exactly?

OLED is fairly established and essentially standard technology these days and has been around for a while used in many devices and phones. That said, Apple also offer an LCD option as well.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Apple is so concious of disability issues, but puts out a phone called Pro that a good percentage of its users can’t use because of the technology?

Bolded: I would love to see some empirical data what would be considered ‘a good percentage’. Now, I’m not trying to be dismissive that PWM doesn’t affect others, but you can’t definitively mudsling a ‘good’ percentage when you yourself have no idea the amount of people that suffer from PWM.

miniyou64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
What would be a good percentage of users exactly?

OLED is fairly established and essentially standard technology these days and has been around for a while used in many devices and phones. That said, Apple also offer an LCD option as well.
They offer an LCD version that doesn’t come with the flagship, high end features. The data says around 5-10% of people suffer from the issue. And it’s very specifically Apple’s implementation. Other manufacturers devices sometimes don’t present these same issues. What percentage of people are affected by Apple’s foray into accessibility features? What percentage of users is Apple comfortable with alienating due to a manufacturing choice in the most important component of the device?
[automerge]1575885905[/automerge]
Bolded: I would love to see some empirical data what would be considered ‘a good percentage’. Now, I’m not trying to be dismissive that PWM doesn’t affect others, but you can’t definitively mudsling a ‘good’ percentage when you yourself have no idea the amount of people that suffer from PWM.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The data says around 5-10% of people suffer from the issue. And it’s very specifically Apple’s implementation. Other manufacturers devices sometimes don’t present these same issues.
Curious, where does that data come from, both about the numbers and that it's specifically related to Apple's implementation?

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
Curious, where does that data come from, both about the numbers and that it's specifically related to Apple's implementation?
I don't see anything on my phone but I know some people do. I guess what you're looking for is a link to a scientist who has tested this and proven all statements above. I get it, its testing someone who simply made a statement. If you really do want to know more about this you can search Google "apple pwm oled" and find plenty of information. The basic issue comes down to Samsung OLED displays making use of overly high voltage. Apple does their best to calm this with their own formulas but do know they cannot stop it for everyone. Apple if called, will swap your OLED phone with one that has an LCD. They know that some people are going to see it flicker but do the best they can to make it work for the most people. People that have this issue might see it in other places that PWM is used since its a common thing to do to control tightness of LEDs. I have some bulbs at my house on a dimmer that never go completely off because the dimmer cannot pulse long enough to trick my eyes into not being able to see the light. Still, it does not bother my eyes and good thing. If you do search you will find some high speed recordings of the screen that show the effect and what some people see. Once Micro LED is used it should eliminate the issue since the tech needed to control brightness is different.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I get it, its testing someone who simply made a statement.
It's not some sort of testing, it's trying to get more details about the claims. As has been mentioned before, there isn't some sort of a denial that some people are affected by some screen technologies, but the question of how many are affected, which screen technologies (Apple vs. others) are involved, or how some companies might somehow be doing something almost knowingly on purpose at the cost of many users, that's all somewhat different.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
It's on the wrong end of the phone. Ever try it? You tend to have your fingers in the shot.
Yes, I use it exclusively, and have been for years. With no fingers in my photos.
[automerge]1577768361[/automerge]
I, for one, knows that; but does it launch the camera? ?
Didn't think so. ?
Of course not, but the camera button does. Or a slight swipe of the home screen. Both of which don’t require adding a giant cyst to my phone.

• Disagree
Reactions: B4U and compwiz1202

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Yes, I use it exclusively, and have been for years. With no fingers in my photos.

Of course not, but the camera button does. Or a slight swipe of the home screen. Both of which don’t require adding a giant cyst to my phone.
Going to depend on what your types of photos are. If you have kids or pets that don't stay in a pose for long, you could lose the shot by the time you open the camera without the button.

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location

Apple can't be serious when they try to advertise the camera when something so bloody basic is missing.
So, how are you dealing with the giant cysts of the side button and volume buttons now?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.