Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wbeasley

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2007
Another sour Apple story. What else is lurking in Tim's closet? The obsessive drive for profit will always result in hypocrisy. Even for lib companies.

Just a whiff of homophobia from your use of the "in the closet' phrase?

You can confirm that when Apple release the new Lavender/Lilac phone in a few days with a "for THOSE people" quip...

I'd be pretty sure Apple staff including the CEO keep their reports, even damning ones, electronically or in a locked drawer.

Reactions: AutisticGuy

dantroline

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2016
Every time apple gets caught put. “Oh sorry guys! We didn’t know. We are going to do better.” Get caught out again. “Oops… is it that bad? We didn’t know. Promise we’ll do better.”

Apple is really starting to leave a bad taste in my mouth. Lucky for Apple Google leaves an even worse taste.
I want to say something contrarian, just for the sake of it. Apple probably knew but no one, including Apple, cared until the trade war broke out. So we can somehow blame Trump for this I am sure. The real shame isn't really Apple here, it's the whole globalisation movement that is now many decades old.

Reactions: itsmemuffins

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
So did Apple do this or was it Foxconn? Does Apple employ temporary workers in China or are they employed by Foxconn? If it’s Foxconn do they have this issue with other companies they manufacture for or just Apple? Does this report document actual worker abuse or is it just saying the balance between temporary and permanent employees was off?
Do you even read the articles? Every question you asked is answered in the article. All you have to do is read the article. That still probably wouldn't stop you from your "I'm just askin' questions shtick". nvm. carry on.

Reactions: PC_tech

IPPlanMan

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2009
If I had to, I would pay more to have these phones built in the United States, by American workers.

If Apple cared more about its morals than its margins, they would build them in the United States.

It’s clear where Tim Cook stands on this. All their PR talk about civil rights and human rights idols rings hollow given their work with China. It’s a Corporate farce and the joke’s on us.

Shame on you Tim.

Reactions: brendu

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
If I had to, I would pay more to have these phones built in the United States, by American workers.

If the lowest priced new iPhone model starts at $999 and the monthly base wage of the Foxconn worker is 2,100 yuan ($295), how much do you think an iPhone would cost if it was manufactured in the U.S. with the same Apple margin?

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
Tim the slave owner
[doublepost=1568029342][/doublepost]
When your biggest quarter has 87% more sales than your weakest quarter how are you supposed to account for that peakiness with only 10% temporary workers? six month wait times for pre-ordered iPhones each year?

Maybe if Tim cared a tenth as much about people as he claims to he'd put people ahead of marketing campaigns?

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
China has labor laws? Lol. Whatever. Obviously some here seem to think it was paradise over there for Foxconn workers. This report just came out of no where. So shocking. But let’s all take a min and pretend to care.

Ok done. See ya at the Apple event tomorrow!

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
China has labor laws? Lol. Whatever. Obviously some here seem to think it was paradise over there for Foxconn workers. This report just came out of no where. So shocking. But let’s all take a min and pretend to care.

Ok done. See ya at the Apple event tomorrow!

Apple has a long history of abusing Chinese workers. When they were committing suicide over the abysmal working conditions their response was to install nets on the building so they couldn't jump to their death on work premises.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
I find it fascinating that this site posts all manner of articles about Android, and Xiaomi, and Huawei, and Samsung, etc etc. when it comes to products. “It’s now a tech site, not just an Apple site,” everyone says. But when it comes to Chinese supply chain conditions, there’s a peculiar quiet here unless it’s about Apple/Foxconn.

I guess Apple must be the only one making their phones in China. Learn something every day.

No company is squeaky clean obviously. However, Apple's shenanigans, mistruths, "mistakes", actions lacking transparency etc. are highlighted by many people (rightfully so) as Apple claims to be honest, ethical, very concerned with social and other equality, virtually obsessed with their customers privacy and so on. When one places oneself upon a shiny pedestal higher than one's peers, one has the potential to fall further than one's peers. The weight and dirt of lies and scandals tends to tarnish and weaken the pedestal over time. This is preventable of course but Apple seems not to be heading in the right direction. Shame really...

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
No company is squeaky clean obviously. However, Apple's shenanigans, mistruths, "mistakes", actions lacking transparency etc. are highlighted by many people (rightfully so) as Apple claims to be honest, ethical, very concerned with social and other equality, virtually obsessed with their customers privacy and so on. When one places oneself upon a shiny pedestal higher than one's peers, one has the potential to fall further than one's peers. The weight and dirt of lies and scandals tends to tarnish and weaken the pedestal over time. This is preventable of course but Apple seems not to be heading in the right direction. Shame really...
As soon as most people here stop treating Apple like their lover, they will truly open their eyes to understand that Apple is just like any other company and their main focus is cash. They use terms like privacy and human rights as a marketing scheme. Since their products have been way more overpriced than a few years ago, it started affecting their sales, so in order for them to keep sales and profits high they had to create an illusion (like a trend) in people’s minds by thinking with their products they are helping human rights and their informations are private, which in this day and age this is simply not true.

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States
It’s Foxconn and China, Apple just uses them because it makes sense from a business perspective. I bet 90%+ of the people outraged by this don’t actually care, they only pretend to care because Apple is in the headline.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
You might but history shows us the majority of consumers will price shop. People complain how Walmart destroyed the small town stores yet the very people who used to shop at their local store flocked to Walmart to save a buck.

The only way Apple will manufacture in the US is when 90+% is automated.

IPPlanMan

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2009
If the lowest priced new iPhone model starts at $999 and the monthly base wage of the Foxconn worker is 2,100 yuan ($295), how much do you think an iPhone would cost if it was manufactured in the U.S. with the same Apple margin?

Again, Apple chooses margins over morals.

Apple could easily build these phones in the USA and it would realize greater efficiencies over time that would bring the price down to parity with what we pay today, as is the case with every manufacturing technology.

Lastly, perhaps Apple should spend its money more intelligently by focusing on price and quality instead of building useless monuments to itself like the overpriced ring.

Apple needs to live up to what its own professed values are and get its manufacturing out of China.

IPPlanMan

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2009
You might but history shows us the majority of consumers will price shop. People complain how Walmart destroyed the small town stores yet the very people who used to shop at their local store flocked to Walmart to save a buck.

The only way Apple will manufacture in the US is when 90+% is automated.

As I mentioned in another post, prices will eventually reach parity through manufacturing efficiencies realized in the USA over time.

Apple could have easily invested in USA production facilities instead of spending so much money on share buybacks and a showpiece corporate campus.

And to your point, if manufacturing is going to be automated, I’d rather have it automated here in the USA. There are a lot of jobs involved in automation. Those jobs should be here, not China.

Again, margins over morals.

dantroline

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2016
As soon as most people here stop treating Apple like their lover, they will truly open their eyes to understand that Apple is just like any other company and their main focus is cash. They use terms like privacy and human rights as a marketing scheme. Since their products have been way more overpriced than a few years ago, it started affecting their sales, so in order for them to keep sales and profits high they had to create an illusion (like a trend) in people’s minds by thinking with their products they are helping human rights and their informations are private, which in this day and age this is simply not true.
And after that, people might come to realise Apple as a company doesn't have such a culture by accident. A bit of research and this kind of hubris is what runs the modern economy. Will that change any time soon?

BootsWalking

macrumors 68020
Feb 1, 2014
Surprised we didn't get the usual "In very rare instances..." PR spiel Apple uses to minimize their bad corporate behavior or product defects.

Reactions: PC_tech
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.