Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has officially announced that its long-awaited Mac Pro and Pro Display XDR will be available starting in December.

Apple_16-inch-MacBook-Pro_Mac-Pro-Display-XDR_111319.jpg

Apple also announced that the new Mac Pro will be available with up to 8TB of SSD storage, after originally promising up to 4TB.

The base model Mac Pro starts at $5,999 and features an 8-core 3.5GHz Intel Xeon processor, a Radeon Pro 580X GPU, 32GB of RAM, and 256GB of SSD storage. Additional technical specifications and configure-to-order options are available on Apple's website.

The high-throughput machine was originally announced in June, when Apple promised a "fall" release. Apple confirmed December today:
Today, Apple also announced that the all-new Mac Pro, the world's best pro desktop, and Apple Pro Display XDR, the world's best pro display, will be available in December. Designed for maximum performance, expansion and configurability, Mac Pro features workstation-class Xeon processors up to 28 cores, a high-performance memory system with a massive 1.5TB capacity, eight PCIe expansion slots and a graphics architecture featuring the world's most powerful graphics card. Pro Display XDR features a 32-inch Retina 6K display with P3 wide and 10-bit color, 1,600 nits of peak brightness, 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio and a superwide viewing angle, all at a breakthrough price point.
Apple is also releasing the Pro Display XDR alongside the Mac Pro next month. The high-end monitor costs $4,999, or $5,999 for a version with a "nano-texture" matte coating. The stand costs $999 and a VESA mount costs $199.

Today's announcement was brief, and Apple stopped short of providing specific dates for Mac Pro and Pro Display XDR preorders and availability.

Article Link: Apple Announces Mac Pro and Pro Display XDR to Ship in December

Last edited:

jjhny

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2005
I've been ready to buy multiple of these for the past five years. Only thing I'm upset about is that I might be forced to use Catalina. Maybe we can hack Mojave onto the box.

Reactions: mrxak and osx86

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009

Additional technical specifications and configure-to-order options are available on Apple's website.

Which apparently is the same "additional specs" that were released 5 months ago. The "December" is the only redundant 'new' info here. ( Since only one month left in technical Fall to slide into .... that too isn't much of a mystery at this point. ).

Chuckle, back in the April 2018 "dog ate my homework" meeting Apple communicated that the Mac Pro wouldn't be coming in 2018 so that useful information could be communciated so that folks could financially plan in advance. Cue up 2019 and Apple has done a pretty SNAFU job of that so far. (at least for folks who wanted to weave this into tax depreciation schedules. )

Reactions: ct2k7 and ssgbryan

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
I've been ready to buy multiple of these for the past five years. Only thing I'm upset about is that I might be forced to use Catalina. Maybe we can hack Mojave onto the box.
Catalina really isn't that bad. It will just take a while to get everything updated. It should be fine by April.
Hopefully 10.16 is a smaller update that doesn't break compatibility with many things

Reactions: Websnapx2

Onelifenofear

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2019
London
Very exciting!

It starts at $5999 but I think the average unit will sell for closer to $30,000

I'd like to see an update in the iMac Pro - it came out in December 2017

I personally like that computer a lot better since it comes with the screen built-in..

Well no - that's not an "Average" unit - that is close to the top spec... But 1.5 TB RAM is going to cost you $18k on Mac or PC....

I suspect like all previous Mac Pro's that had a Relatively high starting price, there will be a sweet spot. In the last one that was the D700 / 8 Core / 32gb Ram

My guess is...
16 Core
1TB SSD
128gb RAM
1x Vega Pro Single
$10K

I think the Second you start pilling on the CPUs and RAM the force will shoot up. But not that many people will need that power. The above WAAAAAY exceeds my current Hackingtosh ( that cost about 5K by the
way)

I suppose I'll find out soon. Doesn't really matter. I am buying one...Need to offset my tax somehow!

jermwhl

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2014
Philadelphia, PA
Non-issue. You can upgrade it to whatever you need.
It is nice that you'll have the option to upgrade yourself later on. But, you'd think that dropping 6K on a computer, you'd get better than 256GB of storage, especially since the new 16" Macbook Pro is now using 512GB as its base storage option. Maybe they'll bump that spec prior to launch in December (not that I'll be getting one). I guess one could also argue, if you're dumping 6K on a new computer, the storage bump from 256 to 512 is a drop in the bucket anyway, but still, 256 seems way too small in todays computers (iCloud or not).

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
Still can’t believe that at this price point, it comes with only a 256GB SSD.
Really. It does seem that Apple still charges too much for storage, but you can always go external. I would love to see a technical review by someone actually knowledgeable about why Xeon's are actually worth the money that Intel charges. Obviously they are, because 1) Intel makes them and buyer's buy them, 2) other vendor's sell expensive Intel Xeon based computers at also high pricing points
[automerge]1573655093[/automerge]
Price is totally out of whack with reality and I’m in pro film and video post production...

... and it still looks like a cheese grater.
Are you comparing it to other workstations with Intel Xeon's and high throughput? Comparing it to i9 computers is not comparing like to like. If you don't need a Xeon, maybe you don't price them out. I priced a couple of ws with older Xeon's and less impressive specs, they were more money.

Last edited:

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
in the US, when you buy something like this, can you tax deduct it at once? I’m wondering because so many people are complaining about that they can’t use it anymore for 2019.. just wondering because in Germany it gets deducted over 3 years from the date of purchase, so it doesn’t really matter that much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.