Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sanlitun

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
Again, if protesters are using the app to pinpoint the police in order to attack them with clubs, hammers, and incendiaries, you good with that?

What authority does a communist police officer have? By what agency do they have that power?

The people of Hong Kong are fighting for the freedom of their children, lest they end up like Xinjiang. The Police supporting the authoritarian dictatorship are nothing more than criminals.

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
Uhh, really dude? Are you listening to yourself? Ever been surrounded by fifteen men, all with the intent to seriously hurt you, swinging at you with metal rods or a hammer? A hammer was definitely involved. It’s evident in the video and one of the news outlets highlighted it.

If I’m in that situation, I’m pulling out any advantage I can get to scare them away. Now would I have actually shot someone? Maybe not. But I wasn’t in those circumstances. What if someone grabbed his gun and shot HIM?

I think it’s pretty ballsy of Apple to pull an app like that at this point in time and they will feel the backlash of this for sure. But the protests are definitely getting out of hand. There’s nothing much peaceful about them anymore.

Last edited:
Reactions: DmPsTrFyR

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
Understand this is the people's last stand. If they fail, there will only be a totalitarian police state left to live in.

Government's like even America's increasingly use technology to amass data on everyone and increasingly in real time. Your car, your phone, social media. Who you interact with. Financial data and every shred and tidbit of data.

Apparently China has the means to install tracking software without the need to take physical possession or user action. I see that as a next step in HK and police state tactics.

Reactions: tonileung and B4U

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
Which include the use of lethal force if someone is trying to murder you. And btw, did the protester die? If not, it’s not murder. If so, it’s homicide but not necessarily murder. Unless you know the law, don’t play with legal terminology. I’m sure all this seems simple from your couch, and that in the middle of the melee the officers must’ve had plenty of time for a rational warning to the guys swinging billy clubs and hammers at their heads, but as I posted above, you should really watch the video footage to understand what actually happened.
I am going to tell you that is where my family came from. So I have first hand experience. In addition, with background in military training as a vet.
From what I see in all the videos, it is an attempted murder with intention to do severe bodily harm because the cop was shooting at close range to the upper torso using a revolver AND did not attempt to or have someone to tend the injured until well over 3 minutes.
Additionally, they are still bloody LYING about shooting the shoulder when it is already all over the news where the bullet was 3 cm from his heart. Not sure how big of the shoulder he has or if his heart was that close to his shoulder (Not biology major, but common sense tells us the cops are flat out lying).
It was also shown in multiple videos that there was no verbal warning prior to the firing of a live round.
Lastly, the cops are still saying that they are afraid of their own life and might drop the hand gun on his right hand because of the victim was hitting him there. Well, what the hell is that left hand holding?
I can't believe anyone can still side with the evil CCP.

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
What authority does a communist police officer have? By what agency do they have that power?

The people of Hong Kong are fighting for the freedom of their children, lest they end up like Xinjiang. The Police supporting the authoritarian dictatorship are nothing more than criminals.
So that makes it okay to beat one to death with a hammer. Interesting perspective. I guess the way to sleep well after beating an officer to death with a hammer is to dehumanize him first.

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
So that makes it okay to beat one to death with a hammer. Interesting perspective. I guess the way to sleep well after beating an officer to death with a hammer is to dehumanize him first.
Did you know that there are undercover cops that dress up as protestors and started to act violent?
Honest question, did you read or see the traditional Chinese versions of the reports?

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
Did you know that there are undercover cops that dress up as protestors and started to act violent?
Honest question, did you read or see the traditional Chinese versions of the reports?
Not relevant to this. If people were piling on top of cops and attacking them with clubs, wrenches, and hammers, I’d completely expect one of them to be shot regardless of whether or not the person was a plant or an actual protester. If it were a plant, I submit he needed better training on how far to take his pretend protesting.

Reactions: russell_314

wolfshades

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2007
Toronto, Ontario Canada
Now is NOT the time to stand on ceremony, Apple. In allowing the app back in the store, you’re not facilitating evasion from police; you’re facilitating evasion from state terrorists.

Reactions: B4U

atomic.flip

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2008
Orange County, CA
Ok based on the statement from Apple I’m absolutely in total disagreement with their decision. The justification for their decision is tantamount to banning Wikipedia because the information contained there-in could be used to commit crimes. (Absolute and utter bs.)

Hey Apple, your tools and technology are routinely used by criminals to commit crimes.

If the app had a call to action insisting people commit crimes that would be different. But informing them is different. Granted, if the Hong Kong government has a specific piece of legislature that says you shall not be able to know where police are under any circumstances. Or what ever. Ah this matter is a mess. LOL

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
In America, driving over the speed limit is OK because "good people" do it. We like to focus only on law-breaking that's done by "bad people".

Discuss.
Yes speeding is sort of accepted but you will still get a ticket. Hitting people with hammers, pipes, or other blunt objects is less accepted in society. Should one be able to argue that if Bob can speed Bill should be allowed to hit people with a hammer? Maybe
[automerge]1570142506[/automerge]
Not relevant to this. If people were piling on top of cops and attacking them with clubs, wrenches, and hammers, I’d completely expect one of them to be shot regardless of whether or not the person was a plant or an actual protester. If it were a plant, I submit he needed better training on how far to take his pretend protesting.
I can tell you in the USA where I live you swing at a police officer with any type of pipe, plastic or otherwise you'll get shot and it won't be once.

SoGood

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Good on Apple for stopping violent mobs from using Apple platform to break legitimate laws. Those so called demonstrators are nothing but thugs and violent mobs. Anyone thinking they are saintly has been brainwashed by the media you read.

Reactions: russell_314

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
Actually, very relevant.
They have incited the other protesters. It had been proven again and again where it was captured by media.

Eorlas

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2010
This is a move purely to keep the Chinese government happy. Shame on apple and captain cook.

What's the alternative? They don't do it, China bans the sale of iPhones, China forcibly confiscates an iPhone they come across which is insanely easy to do when your police force has no concerns about assaulting citizens, and then no one gets to talk to their family and friends.

Apple: a trillion dollar company that sells computers, phones, tablets, and watches.

China: a gigantic country with ********s of people, a huge military, and a government that does not care about anything but control.

Round 1. gg no re.

lixuelai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
It is rather amusing to see all the posts from people thousands of miles from HK with no idea what is actually going on on the ground. Personal freedom is the basis for political freedom. Just today some expat banker got beaten up by a protester while getting lunch in Central (the business district) because he was speaking Mandarin. Even in China they wouldn't do that to you. So lets cut the crap about the protesters all being angels...

sinoka56

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2013
Good on Apple for stopping violent mobs from using Apple platform to break legitimate laws. Those so called demonstrators are nothing but thugs and violent mobs. Anyone thinking they are saintly has been brainwashed by the media you read.
Look who's talking.

They want democracy but you don't?

Reactions: DmPsTrFyR

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
Maybe next Tim will deactivate camera apps that might be used to record police brutality?
[automerge]1570193929[/automerge]
Protesting is fine. Protesting with tons of violence is not fine. The protestors in Hong Kong currently use waaay too much violence against the police. Does people here understand why the protestors use this app, or are people just Sanders fans and want to allow anything and everything? They track the police for the purpose to use violence. This is not ok regardless of which country it occurs in.

Even the government admits a 3:1 injury rate for civilians vs police. Imagine what the numbers really are.

Reactions: tonileung

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
Yes speeding is sort of accepted but you will still get a ticket. Hitting people with hammers, pipes, or other blunt objects is less accepted in society. Should one be able to argue that if Bob can speed Bill should be allowed to hit people with a hammer? Maybe
[automerge]1570142506[/automerge]

I can tell you in the USA where I live you swing at a police officer with any type of pipe, plastic or otherwise you'll get shot and it won't be once.

So killing pedestrians because your text message is too important is better than a minor injury to someone in the name of basic human rights. Got it.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
"Tsang Chi-kin was shot in the chest at point-blank range on Tuesday"

Way to go fake news for spinning the story leaving out critical parts. Him and his fellow rioters were attacking a police officer with hammers and metal pipes. The guy who was shot just swung at the officer. Go swing a metal pipe at a police officer in the free USA and see what happens.

I'm all for peaceful protest and even war but if you attack violently don't cry when you're attacked back.

All for war ? I dont think you know what war is.

One doesnt attack peacefully in a war,

Im just sayin

ChromeAce

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
Who says the app is used to EVADE law enforcement? It tells you where they are. You could use that to bring them donuts. Citizens have a right to know everything about taxpayer funded entities and employees in the spirit of transparency.

Reactions: decafjava and B4U

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
And just how low will Apple go to kiss the CCP's butts? (Inserts middle finger emoji here)

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California
South Park just did a great episode about American companies kowtowing to the demands of the Chinese government. As long as China remains a huge market, this kind of thing will continue to happen.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
In America, driving over the speed limit is OK because "good people" do it. We like to focus only on law-breaking that's done by "bad people".

You're obviously not American. Even law abiding citizens with spotless driving record prefer to avoid law enforcement since they have been known to abuse small technicalities to pull people over to meet their quotas.

Anyhow, just the cost of Apple doing business in China. Profit over democracy.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.