Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
It amazes me how many people throw out there Apple boxs :rolleyes:You are buying a qualty product and you throw out the box.Some years ago before i bought my current Mac Mini i some one was selling the top of the range Mac Mini 2012 i asked if she stukk had the box she said no ,why would you want to throw such a small box away :rolleyes:Unforunatly i ended up buying the lowest modal and paying a lot more for the one i have now.:rolleyes:Are you someone who keeps the box?

Reactions: Starfia

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
No, in general, I am not, although some Apple boxes do seem to be in evidence around the house, as I had been advised to keep them as future buyers may wish to have them.

Most of my old Apple computers have been given to my brothers, and they have as little concern for (or interest in) boxes - they take up space, and are simply a box, a container in which to keep the computer when you first receive it - as I have.

And, the few people to whom I did sell a computer had no interest whatsoever in a box. Rather, they wanted a working computer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Gutwrench

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I toss the boxes. I don’t need the clutter.

Agreed.

I don't need the clutter, - these boxes take up space - and, also, who uses a box for keeping their Apple computers in?

Rather, my computer sits on a desk, or travels in my briefcase, or can be found in an airport café or lounge, or on a train. It is never back in its box.

I do keep a few boxes, or cases, but not for computers; I have a rather attractive set of serious Japanese steak knives; they came complete in an elegant box, and that is where they live, some of the time; likewise, most of an exceedingly elegant set of antique fish knives and forks also live in their box. However, a few of them live in the cutlery drawer, where it is entirely possible that they look down on the other inhabitants of the cutlery drawer.

iAssimilated

Contributor
Apr 29, 2018
the PNW
I have the boxes for most of my Apple equipment (kept in a container in my storage room). Why? I tend to keep the box of anything new I buy in case it is DOA and I hold on to the box until I have verified the product works correctly. At that point I recycled the box.

As for the Apple boxes, since they are small and stored away I forget about them.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
Agreed.

I don't need the clutter, - these boxes take up space - and, also, who uses a box for keeping their Apple computers in?

Rather, my computer sits on a desk, or travels in my briefcase, or can be found in an airport café or lounge, or on a train. It is never back in its box.

I do keep a few boxes, or cases, but not for computers; I have a rather attractive set of serious Japanese steak knives; they came complete in an elegant box, and that is where they live, some of the time; likewise, most of an exceedingly elegant set of antique fish knives and forks also live in their box. However, a few of them live in the cutlery drawer, where it is entirely possible that they look down on the other inhabitants of the cutlery drawer.

I‘m temped to save the Apple box because if I were to buy second hand I’d like to have it. But I toss it a week or two later anyway.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
I've kept my Apple boxes, not only are they great for the resale value of the product (depending on the buyer), but some of them also just look amazing.

Reactions: LizKat

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
No, in general, I am not, although some Apple boxes do seem to be in evidence around the house, as I had been advised to keep them as future buyers may wish to have them.

Most of my old Apple computers have been given to my brothers, and they have as little concern for (or interest in) boxes - they take up space, and are simply a box, a container in which to keep the computer when you first receive it - as I have.

And, the few people to whom I did sell a computer had no interest whatsoever in a box. Rather, they wanted a working computer.
I am one of the buyers who prefer to buy seconded hand with a box. My impressionism is that people who keep the box. perhaps i am wrong look after it better.I can see they do take up space well the IMacs do,but not the rest of them Mac Mini etc.

Reactions: 4sallypat

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
.... My impressionism is that people who keep the box. perhaps i am wrong look after it better.....

Not necessarily.

The truth of that statement depends on the value you ascribe to the box; I ascribe none - however, many in the Mac world ascribe considerable value to the box the computer, or device, came in.

However, my computers tend to be reasonably well looked after.

Reactions: revmacian

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk

People who buy second hand
I've kept my Apple boxes, not only are they great for the resale value of the product (depending on the buyer), but some of them also just look amazing.
:)
You hit the nail on the head there Skywalker resale value of the product :)i have a lot of Hifi stuff all have there boxs except my Quad 405 mk2 and the 34 Quad ,i am a HIFI buff.:)

Reactions: TheSkywalker77

Killbynumbers

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2019
I still have all of them. I just have a big garbage bag that I toss them into and put them into a closet that I don't use.

I was glad I keep them when I sold my 2015 MBP about 1.5 years ago. People always ask if I have the box when I sell things.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
OK, I'm a bit of a box hoarder, but we have a decent amount of storage space :D

Apple items make sense __if__ you often resell your equipment (the presence of the original packaging tends to be a plus in the used market), and Apple gear really seems to last, vs. crapping out before you even could resell it. I also keep a few boxes of items through their warranty period, umm, not even sure if that makes sense, warranty doesn't really require the original packaging, but on a few occasions, it did make it easier to pack up to send back.

My wife also keep special packaging, like boxes for Louis Vuitton or Gucci products.

Funny, we just did a major clear out, and I pitched a ton of empty boxes, many for items I didn't even own any longer :D

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
It amazes me how many people throw out there Apple boxs :rolleyes:You are buying a qualty product and you throw out the box.Some years ago before i bought my current Mac Mini i some one was selling the top of the range Mac Mini 2012 i asked if she stukk had the box she said no ,why would you want to throw such a small box away :rolleyes:Unforunatly i ended up buying the lowest modal and paying a lot more for the one i have now.:rolleyes:Are you someone who keeps the box?

2019-12-02 20.10.57.jpg 2019-12-02 20.11.15.jpg

Unfortunately, I only go back as far as the iPhone 4s. The 5 was my first purchased new, but I got a 4s for my son for $20 for his birthday.

It was fun hunting down the box, the headphones and cords, manual and stickers. The only thing I wasn't able to do was shrinkwrap.

That big white box in the second pic is for a Mac Pro. A PowerMac 6500 and a Quad G5 have been shipped back and forth between Kentucky and Arizona in that box.

The black box is one I got with one of my 17" PowerBooks.

As you can see, I keep boxes. ;)

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Starfia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2011
Yep, I always keep the boxes and try not to touch the paperwork. I usually take care of my products, sell them when I'm finished with them, and want them to make a good impression on the next owner.

Reactions: Roxy.music

artfossil

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2015
Florida
I'm a minimalist. And cheap. I don't "store" anything I don't use frequently. I give my used tech to someone who'll use it. They don't care if there is a box.

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
I keep the boxes for my current models and toss the rest. They're cool, but they're also sitting in a closet where you can't see them. The device/machine itself is cooler anyway. ;)
I would not go that far hugg
View attachment 880498 View attachment 880499

Unfortunately, I only go back as far as the iPhone 4s. The 5 was my first purchased new, but I got a 4s for my son for $20 for his birthday.

It was fun hunting down the box, the headphones and cords, manual and stickers. The only thing I wasn't able to do was shrinkwrap.

That big white box in the second pic is for a Mac Pro. A PowerMac 6500 and a Quad G5 have been shipped back and forth between Kentucky and Arizona in that box.

The black box is one I got with one of my 17" PowerBooks.

As you can see, I keep boxes. ;)
Good for you ,i see you have something by the Beatles in there.?
[automerge]1575388660[/automerge]
I'm a minimalist. And cheap. I don't "store" anything I don't use frequently. I give my used tech to someone who'll use it. They don't care if there is a box.
I would nt either if someone gave it to me for free.?Chance would a fine thing.
[automerge]1575388822[/automerge]
Yep, I always keep the boxes and try not to touch the paperwork. I usually take care of my products, sell them when I'm finished with them, and want them to make a good impression on the next owner.
Cool Starfia?

Last edited:

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I don't have much storage space in my small condominium apartment, but I do keep most of my Apple boxes or boxes my camera gear comes in. Sometimes I use an older box for something else, such as keeping small items in or at tax time, when the envelopes that say "IMPORTANT TAX DOCUMENTS ENCLOSED" arrive, I'll use the top half of an iPad Pro box to put them in so that they don't get mixed up with other mail, and I'll add other supporting documents such as receipts for personal property taxes paid, receipts for donations, etc. Then I'm all good to go when I sit down to do my taxes.

It does make a nice impression when selling or giving away a computer or other Apple item to have the original box to hand over to the recipient. If I am trading in an older iPhone for a new one, though, I keep the box in that instance.

topcat001

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2019
I am a "box hoarder". Keep everything! I threw away the box for my ancient iPhone 4 and am regretting it. It was a beautiful box lol.

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
I don't have much storage space in my small condominium apartment, but I do keep most of my Apple boxes or boxes my camera gear comes in. Sometimes I use an older box for something else, such as keeping small items in or at tax time, when the envelopes that say "IMPORTANT TAX DOCUMENTS ENCLOSED" arrive, I'll use the top half of an iPad Pro box to put them in so that they don't get mixed up with other mail, and I'll add other supporting documents such as receipts for personal property taxes paid, receipts for donations, etc. Then I'm all good to go when I sit down to do my taxes.

It does make a nice impression when selling or giving away a computer or other Apple item to have the original box to hand over to the recipient. If I am trading in an older iPhone for a new one, though, I keep the box in that instance.
I don,t either just live in a studio flat. Sounds like a good idea making use of your Apple box.s.:)I agree with you there Clix Pix:)
[automerge]1575465278[/automerge]
I am a "box hoarder". Keep everything! I threw away the box for my ancient iPhone 4 and am regretting it. It was a beautiful box lol.
The poor little box did not take up much room:oops:

Reactions: Clix Pix

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
I just received an Apple Thunderbolt Display in the original box it would be hard to pack it if you did not have all the original packing it even has the cloth covering for the screen. :) Whereas the first one I got, was damaged because the box was a bit too small and had to put it at an angle hence the stand was damaged. Most people don,t know how to pack a parcel it is a skill I was a packer myself back in the day.:)
[automerge]1575466346[/automerge]
I realise the IMAC boxes take a lot of room especially the 27-inch ones.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I like the box that an iPhone comes in, so usually hang onto it until the next iPhone lands at my house. I just like seeing that box when I walk past it. I still always think I'll re-purpose it for something or other, and still always end up recycling it when its cousin shows up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.