Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

avz

Suspended
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
An original Apple box with the matching serial number of the product can be used as a proof of purchase(so you know that it is unlikely that the seller stole it), apart from that it does not have any value. I still have mine for the late 2008 unibody MacBook5,1 as it was my very first Mac which I still use everyday.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
I keep my current Apple device boxes and toss anything older. I do love Apple's packaging design (for the most part), but I only keep in case of resale or returns. That really helped when my former coworker inherited my 2010 iMac and it was shipped down South.

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
An original Apple box with the matching serial number of the product can be used as a proof of purchase(so you know that it is unlikely that the seller stole it), apart from that it does not have any value. I still have mine for the late 2008 unibody MacBook5,1 as it was my very first Mac which I still use every day.

You talk about that it was some time after I bought my 2012 Mac Mini outer box bit was for the 2014 modal :rolleyes:Yes that is true. That is good going 11 years for your Macbook, but I should not be surprised it is a Mac after all :)
[automerge]1575544219[/automerge]
I keep my current Apple device boxes and toss anything older. I do love Apple's packaging design (for the most part), but I only keep in case of resale or returns. That really helped when my former coworker inherited my 2010 iMac and it was shipped down South.
Of course, if you have the original box and packaging it makes it easy to ship. As I have found out with the Apple display I got on eBay the seller put it in a box that was a bit too small the stand came damaged, I am waiting to send it back plus the fact he only used sellotape :rolleyes:Whereas the second one i got this week came in the original box and packaging then put it in another box . :) So simple that way.:)

Last edited:

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
Actually, I've still got the special bags that we were given when buying the first generation iPhone in 2007 and the following year the next iPhone in 2008..... After that, it was just the boxes that the phones came in, no special bag as well.
It could be collectible in years to come. :)

TimothyL

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2019
I keep them somewhere out of the way and I’m always glad I did when it comes time to sell it. Makes it worth more and easier to ship

Reactions: ScreenSavers

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
I kept most of my Apple boxes dating back to the 4S, but they are just taking up so much space. I need to throw them out at some point, but need to go through all the boxes for accessories and things like that, lol.
[automerge]1575604676[/automerge]
Actually, I've still got the special bags that we were given when buying the first generation iPhone in 2007 and the following year the next iPhone in 2008..... After that, it was just the boxes that the phones came in, no special bag as well.
Yeah I can see keeping the very first iPhone box, but after that it’s just something you replace every year.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Well, today I just bought a new LG monitor....and now have THAT box to store! Normally I don't keep large boxes that things come in, such as a delivery from Amazon or B&H containing two or three items, but in this case I am looking ahead to the day (not imminent, but probably within a few years) when I might move from my current residence and if that is the case I would want to carefully pack my display for safety during transfer to the next destination..... Guess it's time to clean out that closet that is stuffed with odds-and-ends that probably don't need to be in there!

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
1-Yes, if you are a collector
2-Yes, if you intend to sell it later on
3-Yes, if you can use it for something else (repurpose as storage unit or used for decoration)

Otherwise, through it away. The box is beautiful but it will only create clutter in homes.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Well, today I just bought a new LG monitor....and now have THAT box to store! Normally I don't keep large boxes that things come in, such as a delivery from Amazon or B&H containing two or three items, but in this case I am looking ahead to the day (not imminent, but probably within a few years) when I might move from my current residence and if that is the case I would want to carefully pack my display for safety during transfer to the next destination..... Guess it's time to clean out that closet that is stuffed with odds-and-ends that probably don't need to be in there!

Monitors are also tricky to ship, in the event (knock on wood) you have to send it for service. That's a keep-it-till-it's-OOW-or-sold sort of box for me :)

Reactions: Clix Pix

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
Monitors are also tricky to ship, in the event (knock on wood) you have to send it for service. That's a keep-it-till-it's-OOW-or-sold sort of box for me :)
Tell me about that D.T .I have it from first-hand experience because the guy put it in a box too small,eBay got in touch today with the labels to send it back.:)
[automerge]1575815380[/automerge]
1-Yes, if you are a collector
2-Yes, if you intend to sell it later on
3-Yes, if you can use it for something else (repurpose as storage unit or used for decoration)

Otherwise, through it away. The box is beautiful but it will only create clutter in homes.
I don,t keep them as a collector, I save the box for future use to sell it. If it has the box it is worth more, that is my opinion.:)

user_xyz

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2018
It amazes me how many people throw out there Apple boxs :rolleyes:You are buying a qualty product and you throw out the box.Some years ago before i bought my current Mac Mini i some one was selling the top of the range Mac Mini 2012 i asked if she stukk had the box she said no ,why would you want to throw such a small box away :rolleyes:Unforunatly i ended up buying the lowest modal and paying a lot more for the one i have now.:rolleyes:Are you someone who keeps the box?

Yep I keep my apple boxes: And Fender and Gibson and Marshall and Vox and Colt and Marlin...:)

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
I always keep all of my boxes to hold resale value etc. I have an out building so they don't clutter the main house and are kept in a brick built out-house. I even have the box for my Apple Magic Mouse!

Apple boxes are valuable.
At a previous workplace we installed a suite of 30 27" iMacs. They were throwing all the boxes out (along with the inner packaging etc) so I said I would take them off their hands rather then fill their skip. They were only to happy to help me load up my car!!
3 trips later I had bought the whole lot home and sold them all at 35GBP each via eBay. I wish I had more to sell!! Ended up treating the team to dinner and was able to pocket the rest!

Reactions: D.T.

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
I always keep all of my boxes to hold resale value etc. I have an out building so they don't clutter the main house and are kept in a brick built out-house. I even have the box for my Apple Magic Mouse!

Apple boxes are valuable.
At a previous workplace we installed a suite of 30 27" iMacs. They were throwing all the boxes out (along with the inner packaging etc) so I said I would take them off their hands rather then fill their skip. They were only to happy to help me load up my car!!
3 trips later I had bought the whole lot home and sold them all at 35GBP each via eBay. I wish I had more to sell!! Ended up treating the team to dinner and was able to pocket the rest!
Yes as I can see the prices they asking for them on eBay. :oops: that is a plus if the packaging comes with them too. Good for you:)

Reactions: Ifti

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
You are buying a qualty product and you throw out the box
Yes, I'm buying the product, I'm not looking to worship, oogle, or stare at the box that it came in ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'll only keep the box (regardless of the product) if I think I'll need it later, for instance, I just bought a 34" monitor, I'll keep that box in case it needs to be sent in for repair for any reason.

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
Yes, I'm buying the product, I'm not looking to worship, oogle, or stare at the box that it came in ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'll only keep the box (regardless of the product) if I think I'll need it later, for instance, I just bought a 34" monitor, I'll keep that box in case it needs to be sent in for repair for any reason.
Or if you want to sell it in future. I speak from experience having been sold an Apple Display that was put in a box that was a bit too small.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Or if you want to sell it in future. I speak from experience having been sold an Apple Display that was put in a box that was a bit too small.
YMMV with that, I've not had any issues selling computers and what not without the original box. For laptops its not hard to sock a box away if you think you'll sell it. On the other hand, I dumped the HomePod box, as I have no need for that and why keep a cardboard box, regardless of how nicely it was designed.

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
Unless the box/packaging plays a vital role in the operation of the product, the product will function regardless of the existence of the box/packaging. I see no reason to retain the box.
[automerge]1576506538[/automerge]
... depends on the value you ascribe to the box
That seems to sum it all up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.