Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shplock

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2015
Somewhere in a Galaxy far far away
As long as these apps have been properly approved for distribution via Apple's App Store, I don't see a problem with Apple devices having a folder with a few legally required apps pre-installed in it, with it being easy for the customer to uninstall/remove them.

Or maybe even just make installing them part of the first-time user set up... one of the questions will be "Do you want your national apps installed? They can be easily installed later and are not required for your device to function properly."

That is how it should work in the real world but sadly Russia is not part of the real world under Putin.

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008
It’s baffling how commenters here are demanding higher standards from Apple than other companies or their own government.

The entire American society is built on money and capitalism, but Apple is a bad boy for trading with China or Russia.

Why doesn’t the American government prohibit trading with those countries if exporting democracy is so important? That way the playing field is levelled for all US companies.

DeadeyeM

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
Don't worry guys Apple or TimChina bent the knee to Russia also about making Crimea part of Russia, this headline might be also a plot to gloss this fact also, I'm still surprised that MacRumors does not mention this fact.

Seoras

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
Scotsman in New Zealand
WT?! We are now all dumber for reading this. Just...no.
Waiting for you to actually say something intelligent other than that empty knee jerk reaction. No?
You don't think Apple will pull out of Russia? I don't see them having any option.
or
You don't think this could be the beginning of a very alarming trend in authoritarian countries?
or
You don't think...

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
Don't worry guys Apple or TimChina bent the knee to Russia also about making Crimea part of Russia, this headline might be also a plot to gloss this fact also, I'm still surprised that MacRumors does not mention this fact.

that's not a rumor though.

Eorlas

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2010
NSA. PRISM. Mass surveillance. Secret courts issuing National Security Letters. Guantanamo.

But sure, it's always the other countries that do the really, really bad things that violate everybody's rights.

MK Ultra. Spreading STD's into african american communities.

It's fun to poke and stare at other superpowers for having egregious human rights violations completely forgetting the US has a stockpile of them that they just don't like talking about.

Reactions: TOGURO06 and mijail

mattster16

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2004
Just leave the Russian market. The average annual salary in Russia is $718. How big can the market there possibly be? The oligarchs that reap (steal) 99% of profits in Russia can only be buying so many phones...

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
Exactly! Google’s apps and services are banned in China, I had to use the low offering Apple counterparts, wonder how they are allowed? Well... privacy is a myth and Apple, like any company, is a ho when it comes to money.

Google makes 90%+ money off of advertising. They can afford to talk tough.

This is what Google is actually doing:

https://www.scmp.com/tech/enterpris...ound-chinas-great-firewall-investing-its-most

They're currying favor by investing in Chinese startups. So they aren't altruistic whatsoever.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Pull out of China, Russia, Saudi and every other dictatorship... If every company did this we’d probably be living in a better world today, but money is all that matters.
One of the most shortsighted posts in this thread.
The west might not appear to be dictators but they are. The difference is they do it to others, mostly third world and Arab countries

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
Pull out of China, Russia, Saudi and every other dictatorship... If every company did this we’d probably be living in a better world today, but money is all that matters.

oh boy they should pull out of the states too by that standards.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2014
Team America would do well to look a little closer to home in the pursuit of uncovering oppressive surveillance regimes. UK is the same with the butter wouldn’t melt, World Police bovine excrement.

On topic, I would think Apple will not reciprocate with this legislation.

spotlight07

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2007
Doesn’t seem much different than what we have with carriers installing software on phones in the US. Remember Carrier IQ? Privacy is an illusion. Digital security is about as effective as locking your front door at night. Get on with your life.

T-R-S

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2010
Silicon Valley
Russian economy is so small companies to even a lot of US states like California, New Your, Texas, and Florida. All it's going to do is going to drive mobile phone sales in Russia to a black market. All it's going to do is put Russia more behind in the world compared to other countries. Since the Russian invasion into Ukraine I am surprised that more companies have not boycotted Russia. My company already refuses to do business with anyone Russia until they stop the ware against Ukraine and return captured Ukrainian territory to the Ukraine.I hope Apple does boycott Russia.

m4mario

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2017
San Francisco Bay Area
The US government should mandate their companies not to allow this. This way Russia and China does not get both iOS and Android. The problem is, Google is too weak here. If one allows this in the Chinese market, then the other is bound to allow it, else the consequences to share holders is way too much.

Another problem is, Samsung will sell their phones in China and start dominating. This is the problem in a competitive market. Unless all major smartphone companies stand together and pull out, they will have options.

koruki

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2009
New Zealand

posted from my Chinese made high horse. How many countries have China Russia invaded compared the "best country IN THE WORLD"

diddl14

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2009
Meanwhile at the White House: "What a great, fantastic idea. Can we do that too? Moscow Mitch, get on it, now! I want all fake news media only be allowed to use our apps!"

tridley68

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2014
You hit the nail on the head with your post 100% agree.

Packers1958

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota
I will fight until my toes point up for DACA, but will bow to China when it comes to Hong Kong, ignore the "reeducation" camps for the Chinese Uighurs, etc. Yea Tim, you really care about people.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.