Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

prestigiouswireless

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2019
California
I had the error “You have applied a number of times so we cannot verify the information you have provided at this time” after having identity verification issues when applying for the Apple Card last month. I just reapplied for the Apple Card today and was approved instantly on the first try all without needing to scan my ID and with no credit history. Things have certainly improved!

I’ll have to give it another try since I have my iPhone 11 Pro Max now

Reactions: i505

shoehornhands

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2014
Well, I just applied for the Apple Card on my new iPhone 11 Pro Max and got the "We are unable to verify your identification information" message. After I entered my generic information it asked for a full social, so I entered that and then got the identification message (it never even asked me for my driver's license). This is kind of obnoxious...

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
So this thing with the too many attempts, it sounds like it still hasn’t been fixed yet. Mine is up on the 30th (was also flagged for too many attempts), but sounds like it’s not even worth attempting then either. Is this more on GS or Apple at this point? Or both? And I love how they’d always say to talk to TransUnion – TransUnion can’t fix GS’ issues.
Lots of better cards out there from companies that know how to efficiently run credit card businesses. Why continue being frustrated by Apple GS shoddy service?

rabdj

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2019
Been having the same issue here since I received the preview invite. First it wouldn't accept my valid ID, then went to the "too many attempts" thing. That was mid August. Waited 30 days as instructed, still not working. GS told me yesterday that basically they are aware that this is impacting a "handful" of people and that i should keep applying once a week or so. But i won't be....over it. (however it seems like if they are aware this is happening they would setup some way to manually review and approve/deny applications for those with legitimate IDs. Whatever.

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
OK, my 30 day time out expired and I tried again today with my MN Enhanced DL and got the same error message as before. :-(

I had an idea. I still have my previous VOIDED non enhanced DL. In MN they used to clip a corner off, but now they punch small holes that spell the word VOID over your photo. It's not that noticeable, but the license also had expired in 2018 on my birthday. Anyway, it immediately went through and I was approved! If you have your previous ID's, give them a try!

Also, interestingly enough, my spouse applied last weekend and immediately got the card without having to even scan an ID.....go figure!

Last edited:

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
OK, my 30 day time out expired and I tried again today with my MN Enhanced DL and got the same error message as before. :-(

I had an idea. I still have my previous VOIDED non enhanced DL. In MN they used to clip a corner off, but now they punch small holes that spell the word VOID over your photo. It's not that noticeable, but the license also had expired in 2018 on my birthday. Anyway, it immediately went through and I was approved! If you have your previous ID's, give them a try!

Also, interestingly enough, my spouse applied last weekend and immediately got the card without having to even scan an ID.....go figure!
Wow...what a great example of Apple's interest in security. In their eagerness to rope people into their credit card net, their upstanding partner - GS - is accepting expired voided ID.

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
Wow...what a great example of Apple's interest in security. In their eagerness to rope people into their credit card net, their upstanding partner - GS - is accepting expired voided ID.

Well, the fact that it's expired and voided doesn't give me any security concern. The ID is still mine and the info on it was still current. They aren't looking at anyone's face and comparing it to what's on the ID either, so there really is no positive match going on that way even with a current ID. My guess is that it simply scans for the DL number and address and then does a match with state databases to make sure that is the person.

I actually thought of trying this when I put my visor down in my car the other day because I kept my old DL there with my insurance card. My idea for keeping my old license there was that if I ever accidentally forgot my wallet with my current DL, I'd at least have something to show an officer. While I'm sure the police would prefer to have my current DL if I'm pulled over, I bet they'd appreciate having the expired one presented over none at all or a fake one. It is the same DL number as my current one and does still show my identity, voided and expired or not.

I do think it's a shame that the verification system GS/Apple are using can't process all legal state ID's. Especially since the ones that don't seem to be working are the ones that actually have the enhanced security features. And I'd guess that there's a big overlap between best qualified credit customers and people who cared enough to get an enhanced ID.

One other interesting part of my experience. I did have a freeze in place on my credit report with TransUnion. I went online and did a temporary lift of the freeze before applying. Once I did apply and got approved and got the AppleCard loaded into my wallet, etc, I went back online and removed the freeze. A few hours later I got an alert from one of the credit protection websites informing me that GS had tried to pull my report and that it was blocked because of my freeze. I find it strange that I was given my credit line and account opened before they even pulled my credit? I'll have to see if this causes any problem with the actual opening of my account, and I'll be interested to see if the hard inquiry shows up on my credit report.

Last edited:

prestigiouswireless

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2019
California
Well, the fact that it's expired and voided doesn't give me any security concern. The ID is still mine and the info on it was still current. They aren't looking at anyone's face and comparing it to what's on the ID either, so there really is no positive match going on that way even with a current ID. My guess is that it simply scans for the DL number and address and then does a match with state databases to make sure that is the person.

I actually thought of trying this when I put my visor down in my car the other day because I kept my old DL there with my insurance card. My idea for keeping my old license there was that if I ever accidentally forgot my wallet with my current DL, I'd at least have something to show an officer. While I'm sure the police would prefer to have my current DL if I'm pulled over, I bet they'd appreciate having the expired one presented over none at all or a fake one. It is the same DL number as my current one and does still show my identity, voided and expired or not.

I do think it's a shame that the verification system GS/Apple are using can't process all legal state ID's. Especially since the ones that don't seem to be working are the ones that actually have the enhanced security features. And I'd guess that there's a big overlap between best qualified credit customers and people who cared enough to get an enhanced ID.

One other interesting part of my experience. I did have a freeze in place on my credit report with TransUnion. I went online and did a temporary lift of the freeze before applying. Once I did apply and got approved and got the AppleCard loaded into my wallet, etc, I went back online and removed the freeze. A few hours later I got an alert from one of the credit protection websites informing me that GS had tried to pull my report and that it was blocked because of my freeze. I find it strange that I was given my credit line and account opened before they even pulled my credit? I'll have to see if this causes any problem with the actual opening of my account, and I'll be interested to see if the hard inquiry shows up on my credit report.

Yes but the fact that it’s expired no longer makes it legal and unusable to use for verification purposes in the eye of the law.

Your credit won’t be touched. Several others have verified doing the same with no credit pull and GS being blocked as well.

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
Yes but the fact that it’s expired no longer makes it legal and unusable to use for verification purposes in the eye of the law.

Your credit won’t be touched. Several others have verified doing the same with no credit pull and GS being blocked as well.

It's no longer legal for driving for sure. But does it completely cease to be an identity document on expiration? I'm not sure, just asking. I believe the DMV will accept an expired DL as proof of identity once the DL expires. That is, if you forget to renew your license on time they don't make you come in with birth certificate and everything else again to re-establish your identity.

prestigiouswireless

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2019
California
It's no longer legal for driving for sure. But does it completely cease to be an identity document on expiration? I'm not sure, just asking. I believe the DMV will accept an expired DL as proof of identity once the DL expires. That is, if you forget to renew your license on time they don't make you come in with birth certificate and everything else again to re-establish your identity.

They don’t in California. Not even to buy alcohol or tobacco. Must be valid

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
They don’t in California. Not even to buy alcohol or tobacco. Must be valid

Because there's no national law requiring and standardizing IDs, the validity of an expired ID depends on the specific party accepting the ID and the regulations behind it. For example, California in the past did not accept US Passports or military ID for alcohol.

The relevant laws here would be GS/Apple's risk tolerance and any know-your-customer and anti-money laundering regulations.

It's not GS, but I suspect a French company, Idemia, behind this: https://www.idemia.com/id-proofing

Idemia is who makes the physical cards.

tatoz

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2019
Hey guys, I have been following this forum for nearly 2 months. The day apple card came out to early releasers, I applied and it asked me to take a photo of my photo ID and got the message "Identity could not be confirmed" bs. I tried applying 14 times that day and the next and got the same crap, called apple who told me to wait while they report my case to engineers, called me back 1 week later and said to try to regurgitate the issue again. So I tried and then I got a new message saying some bs about my loans (I have no loans lol). Transferred me to G.S and they transferred me to TransUnion who also couldn't do crap,(keep in mind my credit is great in the mid 700's) then I got the whole "too many attempts" bs like many did here. So I saw some called GS and they said to wait 30 days, did just that. come my 30th day applied again, and got the "identity not verified" garbage again. I gave up hope. I tried again a week later (while this time monitoring the number of attempts I try) and got the same error message AGAIN. So another week later I figured I might as well try again, and I got it. No photo identification, no taking any pictures with a black background, I got it. My advice to you is spread out your attempts, don't keep attempting the same day. If you dont get it, wait a week, apply again. If your credit is good enough and you have no issues with other cards it will go through eventually. Don't lose hope. Ive been at this for 2 hard months now, and I got it. Just.Keep.Attempting. but not too much to where you get locked out lol. I normally don't write responses, but I've been following you all for so long I practically know all of you and consider y'all my family. Hope this helped lol

Smigovsky

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2019
Vermont
After my 30 day lockout, I tried again and same “can’t verify, rescan” message. Called in. GS Rep couldn’t help, and connected me to Apple Support. No one answered, so gave me callback number. Finally got a manager who took info and sent email, so we could communicate directly. That was two days ago. Talked to manager tonight. He said, yes, enhanced driver’s license can’t be verified. He talked to the engineers. He said GS is using Greenspot, I believe, and until they fix it, it won’t work. He will notify me when they get the update done. Said it could be a month or many months.
Wow. Nice job Apple. Partnered with a firm that uses incompetent vendors. How long did you have to make sure you covered all bases? The least you could do is give me 5% off at the Apple Store until you fix this. No new Apple products this year...

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
I am in same boat. Got denied and it takes me about 1-2 weeks each time just to get the result. The chat with GS has never been helpful. Don't have enhanced ID so no idea what is issue.

eXoenDo

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2010
This morning I got approved for Apple Card on the third attempt. First attempt I used my current address and my current enhanced drivers license. ID verification failed. Second attempt I used my current address and an old drivers license. ID verification failed. Third attempt I used an old address and an old drivers license (which didn’t even have the same address I used) - Approved. $8k Limit/Highest APR (23.74%). Credit Score 770. Hoping that APR comes down but it doesn’t really matter since I don’t carry a balance. Crazy insecure though, I had to use outdated information and documents that conflict and don’t match just to get the approval.

prestigiouswireless

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2019
California
This morning I got approved for Apple Card on the third attempt. First attempt I used my current address and my current enhanced drivers license. ID verification failed. Second attempt I used my current address and an old drivers license. ID verification failed. Third attempt I used an old address and an old drivers license (which didn’t even have the same address I used) - Approved. $8k Limit/Highest APR (23.74%). Credit Score 770. Hoping that APR comes down but it doesn’t really matter since I don’t carry a balance. Crazy insecure though, I had to use outdated information and documents that conflict and don’t match just to get the approval.

I’ll have to try again later today. But I have no other addresses to use. I’ve been at the same place for almost 10 years now. System never asks me for my ID though

Reactions: eXoenDo

Smigovsky

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2019
Vermont
I tried with an old DL that wasn’t an EDL. Couldn’t verify. Then got email saying couldn’t verify.
Tried again with old DL but seriously lowered my income. Couldn’t verify. Got email saying couldn’t approve because income not sufficient to cover debt. LMFAO. So you could verify my debt GS?! Idiots. Great company to partner with Apple. Maybe spend less money on advertising your Apple Card fiasco and more on fixing its issues.

eXoenDo

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2010
I tried with an old DL that wasn’t an EDL. Couldn’t verify. Then got email saying couldn’t verify.
Tried again with old DL but seriously lowered my income. Couldn’t verify. Got email saying couldn’t approve because income not sufficient to cover debt. LMFAO. So you could verify my debt GS?! Idiots. Great company to partner with Apple. Maybe spend less money on advertising your Apple Card fiasco and more on fixing its issues.

That's incredibly strange! The application entirely needs to be reworked. I have a coworker who is going through the same issues.

Same result

So here's an interesting tidbit I noticed this time around....my denials for ID verification indicated they pulled my credit report from SageStream LLC. I have requested a copy of my credit report from SageStream and what I expect i'll find is that they don't have my new address on file. It's worth noting that the address that eventually got me approved was rejected during my first round of applications when it had a single variation - I used Line 2 for Apartment Number whereas this last time I put it all on Line 1.

I've gotta wonder if there's something up with your SageStream report. Does your denial letter say anything about that? If so, i'd suggest using this link and requesting a copy of your SageStream report to see if you can find the issue that way. I'll update the thread when mine comes and I can see how my theory pans out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.