Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

prestigiouswireless

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2019
California
That's incredibly strange! The application entirely needs to be reworked. I have a coworker who is going through the same issues.

So here's an interesting tidbit I noticed this time around....my denials for ID verification indicated they pulled my credit report from SageStream LLC. I have requested a copy of my credit report from SageStream and what I expect i'll find is that they don't have my new address on file. It's worth noting that the address that eventually got me approved was rejected during my first round of applications when it had a single variation - I used Line 2 for Apartment Number whereas this last time I put it all on Line 1.

I've gotta wonder if there's something up with your SageStream report. Does your denial letter say anything about that? If so, i'd suggest using this link and requesting a copy of your SageStream report to see if you can find the issue that way. I'll update the thread when mine comes and I can see how my theory pans out.

Mine doesn’t pull a report from any agency.

prestigiouswireless

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2019
California
That's incredibly strange! The application entirely needs to be reworked. I have a coworker who is going through the same issues.

So here's an interesting tidbit I noticed this time around....my denials for ID verification indicated they pulled my credit report from SageStream LLC. I have requested a copy of my credit report from SageStream and what I expect i'll find is that they don't have my new address on file. It's worth noting that the address that eventually got me approved was rejected during my first round of applications when it had a single variation - I used Line 2 for Apartment Number whereas this last time I put it all on Line 1.

I've gotta wonder if there's something up with your SageStream report. Does your denial letter say anything about that? If so, i'd suggest using this link and requesting a copy of your SageStream report to see if you can find the issue that way. I'll update the thread when mine comes and I can see how my theory pans out.

My apologies it does say it pulls from TU. But TU has my correct address and no matter which line I put my Apt # at line 1 or line 2, I still get the same result.

eXoenDo

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2010
My apologies it does say it pulls from TU. But TU has my correct address and no matter which line I put my Apt # at line 1 or line 2, I still get the same result.

Ah, I see. I wish I could help you, you've been having this issue longer than me. I'm lost as to where the failure is here.

I included screenshots attached to this in case it might help anyone else to demonstrate the subtle change to the ID verification denial email I got.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-10-28 at 8.39.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-10-28 at 8.39.52 PM.png
    238.4 KB · Views: 843
  • Screen Shot 2019-10-28 at 8.42.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-10-28 at 8.42.25 PM.png
    187.6 KB · Views: 826

prestigiouswireless

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2019
California
Ah, I see. I wish I could help you, you've been having this issue longer than me. I'm lost as to where the failure is here.

I included screenshots attached to this in case it might help anyone else to demonstrate the subtle change to the ID verification denial email I got.

Yep I’ve had both of those. Strange.

Smigovsky

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2019
Vermont
It’s hopeless. Filed with CFPB. GS responded with same circular canned answers. CFPB closed complaint even though it wasn’t resolved.
Contacted GS again through Apple text help. Same circular canned answers. They refuse to acknowledge issue after literally hours of texting with them. Completely useless company. Apple royally f’d up partnering with them. What’s also laughable, is Apple’s claim “Created by Apple, not a bank”. Um Goldman Sachs Bank USA is a bank, and they hired the crappy third party software company who didn’t test their product with EDL before rollout. GS is going to lose Apple customers.

Last edited:

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
I have been following this thread because at first I was rejected for identity. I replied again but changed nothing and after 3 weeks was approved. Not sure what is going on with them...but now I can try it out. I was hoping to save a little money on an iPhone but I missed it because I was sure I was not going to be approved.

eXoenDo

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2010
I have been following this thread because at first I was rejected for identity. I replied again but changed nothing and after 3 weeks was approved. Not sure what is going on with them...but now I can try it out. I was hoping to save a little money on an iPhone but I missed it because I was sure I was not going to be approved.
Did you change anything on your approved application? If so, what did you change? Hoping we can figure it out for those who are still waiting.

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
I am having a problem as well. My online application keeps coming back with the message that they cannot verify my ID. I took very clear pictures of my NY State driver’s license that doesn’t expire until 2025.

I make a good living & my credit rating is in good standing. The message just said they couldn’t verify my ID.

So I called the number provided & spoke with a representative. She said it’s because my driver’s license was issued in 2017. She said if it was issued in 2016 one year earlier or 2018 or later, I would be fine.

I was like.... Huh? That makes NO sense.

She explained that there are certain years in diff states that Goldman Sachs, for whatever reason, cannot confirm people’s IDs! Lol. Really?

When i asked the rep what are my options. She said wait for Goldman to fix the problem with the various States(unlikely) or... to go get a new driver’s license! LOL. WHAT?!

When i asked if i could use my valid US passport, she said no. That they only use State IDs.

This is so bizarre! Right? Apple must be inundated by frustrated people if there are certain random years in different States where the IDs cannot be used even if they are valid and don’t expire for years. I am really trying to wrap my head around this. Why should I have to go down to the DMV to pay for a new license to replace my current valid license that doesn’t expire until 2025?...just to apply for an Apple card? I am laughing...but it’s really not funny. It’s very frustrating actually.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Reactions: MarkB786

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
Correct.

But I just want to confirm - do all "enhanced" drivers licenses not work or is it just NY state ones or something else? Considering this is in big letters on top of the DMV page:
"URGENT: Your regular New York State license or ID card will not allow you to fly starting October 2020. Get a REAL ID or Enhanced Driver License now!" Apple/Goldman Sachs should fix this, sooner than later.

i am from NY. I got the “cannot verify ID” message when applying for the Apple card. My NY State license was issued in 2017 & doesn’t expire until 2025. So I called the number on the message, and the woman from Goldman Sachs said NY driver licenses issued in 2017 don’t currently work. She said if it was issued in 2016, 2018 or 2019 it would work. But 2017 doesn’t work. I was like HUH?! So I said you mean to tell me that anyone with a NY State license issued in 2017 cannot apply for an Apple card? That makes absolutely no sense! But she said that was the reason. She told me i could wait for NY State & Goldman Sachs to fix the issue...or I could go down to the DMV, wait in line...and then PAY to have a NEW license issued. Lol. Yeah right.

Reactions: MarkB786

Novaoblivion

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2006
Yep, pretty much the same thing I was told. The current design introduced in Oregon in late 2018 is unsupported :rolleyes:

Soybomb

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2019
I’m not especially wowed with the cards perks, but everyone is cutting benefits so I thought I’d give it a try and see how it evolves. What a terrible application process I found. I’ve never provided photo ID for a credit card before and yet with that and my social they can’t verify my identity.

Chatting with the rep by message is easy and would be a huge win for the card, but unfortunately they can’t do anything other than suggest you try adding your middle name or initial or try variations of your address. They have no insight into the specifics of what couldn’t be verified and cant perform a manual review.

This is a very un-Apple like experience and Id encourage anyone interested to look at cards that provide better benefits and capable customer service - I’ve had good luck with citi‘s double cash.

Soybomb

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2019
Another deny then an iMessage chat and phone call. My state‘s drivers license, if issued this year, isn’t able to be verified by their system. Amazing that it took that much hassle and that Many chats with support to be told they can’t support a US state ID issued this year.

bitwonder

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2019
i am in the same boat as you guys, the third time it said:
You have applied a number of times so we cannot verify the information you have provided at this time
i am in california with the new 2019 issue id, my guess i might have to add my middle name next time. but no chance for now to apply as it wont allow

MarkB786

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
USA
I am having a problem as well. My online application keeps coming back with the message that they cannot verify my ID. I took very clear pictures of my NY State driver’s license that doesn’t expire until 2025.

I make a good living & my credit rating is in good standing. The message just said they couldn’t verify my ID.

So I called the number provided & spoke with a representative. She said it’s because my driver’s license was issued in 2017. She said if it was issued in 2016 one year earlier or 2018 or later, I would be fine.

I was like.... Huh? That makes NO sense.

She explained that there are certain years in diff states that Goldman Sachs, for whatever reason, cannot confirm people’s IDs! Lol. Really?

When i asked the rep what are my options. She said wait for Goldman to fix the problem with the various States(unlikely) or... to go get a new driver’s license! LOL. WHAT?!

When i asked if i could use my valid US passport, she said no. That they only use State IDs.

This is so bizarre! Right? Apple must be inundated by frustrated people if there are certain random years in different States where the IDs cannot be used even if they are valid and don’t expire for years. I am really trying to wrap my head around this. Why should I have to go down to the DMV to pay for a new license to replace my current valid license that doesn’t expire until 2025?...just to apply for an Apple card? I am laughing...but it’s really not funny. It’s very frustrating actually.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Well, I guess that would explain my ID rejection. DL issued in 2017...

Tron72

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2007
This issue is still ongoing. Tried 5 times and it couldn’t verify me. And now I’ve tried too many times and am locked out. There is no “it just works” magic with this card process.

Last edited:
Reactions: Novaoblivion

milguy

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2019
Anybody else having problems applying for there Apple Card? I have tried several times over the past 2 days and it keeps coming back with the same "identity cannot be verified" screen. I have entered my full SSN and provided pictures of my photo id,(Drivers License) and it simply will not accept them. I have gone over every detail with a fine tooth comb to see if there was a small typo anywhere, and there is not. I have tried submitting the id under several lighting conditions and backgrounds, and I even tried using my passport card to see if my id for some reason wasn't being accepted.

I have called Apple Support 3 times, the last time got a "supervisor" at Goldman Sachs who said he has escalated it and will be in touch when there is a resolution, but gave no time frame.

I was so excited I got the invite, but this really is the most trouble I've ever had applying for a card. I suppose this is why there doing a "preview" rollout
My wife has had the same problems x5; applied 5 times and the same "identity cannot be verified" response reply. The issue was "escalated" to Carlos at Goldman Sachs who promised that we would be contacted. No response follow-up call so, I'm contemplating cancelling my Apple Card. Very frustrating.

jasonmvp

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2015
Northern VA
I just went through this fun exercise myself a couple of days ago. All of my data on TransUnion matches the application. And I was able to take clear photos of my VA state driver's license. But no matter what I did, the application process failed in the identity process. And no one at Apple nor GS could tell me exactly why.

The annoying thing is the rejection email says you should "try again!" But they don't tell you that there's a trap set. If you "try again" too many times, you get put into a time-out for thirty days. Which I'm in, now, and can't re-apply again. That's frustrating.

The pisser is: an extra 6% back on purchases before 31 December. Dammit!

Novaoblivion

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2006
So FWIW I tried to apply again today just for the heck of it since I hadn’t in at least a month or two. It went through right away, didnt even ask me to scan my ID or anything ?‍♂️

Last edited:

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
I always get the "Application is in review, wait 1-3 business days" then three days after, I get an email denying it due to 'unable to verify identity'

I don't get it immediate, my application makes it to review, but fails to verify. I'm certain my iPhone 6S camera captured my DL just fine, it took three attempts before it would even get to the 'review' stage. The first two scans failed outright and allowed me to take another.

I'm obviously not lying about my SS#, Birthday, or address. Even Verizon approves my credit so obviously I have some. Oh well my AMEX works fine, and where it won't I can always get a Green Dot card to make Apple Pay work at Meijers and Target (my AMEX flags NFC contactless at those two places as attempted fraud only with Apple Pay--AMEX can't figure it out)

remington79

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2020
Any updates on how to remedy the “unable to verify identity” problem? My wife tried twice with no luck. I messaged support and they recommended changing the address in settings to match that on her DL. Then try while I was chatting. Still no luck.

The only thing I can think of is for her to use a different card for a couple of months and maybe that will help. She has a good credit score but not much history.

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
Any updates on how to remedy the “unable to verify identity” problem? My wife tried twice with no luck. I messaged support and they recommended changing the address in settings to match that on her DL. Then try while I was chatting. Still no luck.

The only thing I can think of is for her to use a different card for a couple of months and maybe that will help. She has a good credit score but not much history.
Are you in an enhanced driver license state like NY ?

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017

Well they don't verify IDs manually so if you can't get through their narrow-minded electronic ID verification system you'll never be able to apply for the Apple Card. Ever. Not even if you have credit history and a good credit score. The problem is how their electronic system verifies photo IDs and what it accepts (which is ONLY a standard DL, no enhanced DLs, no passports, no green cards, nothing else goes through). That system was designed by someone with an extremely narrow mind. I've been trying for almost year with no luck because no change has ever been made to the photo ID verification system since Apple Card was released last year. Not everyone is asked for a photo ID, but you are asked for one and can't get past that step, you'll die without ever being able to complete the application for the Apple Card.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.