Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple CEO Tim Cook and United States President Donald Trump will soon tour facilities in Texas where Apple products are made, reports Reuters.

The goal of the trip is to showcase companies that "keep jobs in America." Both Apple and the White House declined to comment on the upcoming tour.

2019-mac-pro-side-and-front-800x581.jpg

The planned journey comes as Apple is seeking tariff waivers on imports from China that include iPhone components, Apple Watch, AirPods, HomePod, and more.

Apple in September said that its newest Mac Pro will be manufactured in Texas at the same Austin facility where the existing Mac Pro has been made since 2013.

According to Apple, the new Mac Pro includes components designed, developed, and manufactured by more than a dozen American companies. Suppliers span states that include Arizona, Maine, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Texas, and Vermont.

Apple has pledged to invest $350 billion in the United States economy by 2023, and last year, spent more than $60 billion with 9,000 domestic suppliers across the country.

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Apple CEO Tim Cook and U.S. President Donald Trump to Tour Apple Operations in Texas

jlocker

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2011
Lake Michigan
People forget history Ross Perot said in 1992 nafta would be bad for the USA. We lost hundred of thousand of manufacturing jobs all the media did was make fun of him and his charts while running for president. Other countries have taken advantage of us for 30 year. Why do we have to be number 2? I like making a higher wage so I can buy the things that I like! other countries do now.

davidec

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2008
Trumpy make Cook pay extra tariffs if he doesn't get it out by fall!!!!!
Incentivise!

boccabella

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2010
Tim Cook is pure garbage, a Republican through-and-through who will only break party ranks when something negatively affects his company’s ability to exploit overseas labor. History will not be kind to him or anyone seen currying favor with Donald Trump. And the Texas factory is certainly a non-union factory, I would expect nothing less.

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Why is Tim Cook associating with Trump? I don’t like it.

Because Cook is smart (although not about technology) and its the way America was meant to be; tolerant.

For those that have forgotten, America was founded on the principle of tolerance. Primarily on religion, but that was expanded over time and rightly so, at least until recently when nobody seems to tolerate anything they don't agree with. Which is just plain wrong. Freedom requires tolerance, totalitarianism is the opposite with no tolerance what-so-ever.

Totalitarian regimes are often characterized by political repression, a total lack of democracy, personality cultism, control over the economy, restriction of speech, and mass surveillance. Sound familiar.

A totalitarian regime attempts to control virtually all aspects of the social life, including the economy, education, art, science, private life and morals of citizens. Sound familiar.

The authoritarian state is only concerned with political power and as long as that is not contested it gives society a certain degree of liberty.

So there we have it, Republicans tend towards totalitarianism and Democrats towards authoritarian state. Both have principles of the other and neither of which are good for anyone but the elite.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Why is Tim Cook associating with Trump? I don’t like it.

Tim Apple seems to spend more time with Donald Trump then any other CEO. I'd say they have a good relationship. Tim's "feel good" progressive views are just put out there to cater to that crowd and sell more product. Deep down he has the same love as Trump and that's money. He doesn't really care about those "social" things... He just cares that you keep buying and buying.

Reactions: iMi

psingh01

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
This is where all the MBP 16” have been sent. They will say look at all the manufacturing that we do here ?

DocMultimedia

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2012
Charlottesville, VA
Of the 700 top companies, the only openly gay CEO is Cook. When he dies his wealth is getting left to charity. I respect Cook (but I really wish HomePods weren’t so flaky). I don’t respect Trump, and never will.

gnipgnop

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2009
Tim Cook has done an excellent job establishing a working relationship with Trump, even though they probably disagree on almost every political issue.

Working relationship? Apple is still subject to tariffs and Trump has entirely ignored Cook's advice on China and also on DACA. Regardless of how many photo ops or meetings Trump has with Cook, he's just as likely to do something negative towards Apple as positive. Cook tries to engage while Trump will ignore it and act on personal whims of the moment.

Reactions: stylinexpat

BlazednSleepy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2012
Hopefully when Tim Apple describes the overall functions of the Mac Pro, Trump will have plenty of Sudafed on hand to mumble his way through it.

cuencap

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2011
Tim Cook is pure garbage, a Republican through-and-through who will only break party ranks when something negatively affects his company’s ability to exploit overseas labor. History will not be kind to him or anyone seen currying favor with Donald Trump. And the Texas factory is certainly a non-union factory, I would expect nothing less.

Tim Cook is a republican? A homosexual republican that donates to Democratic candidates? Try again...
[automerge]1573621593[/automerge]
Regardless of your thoughts on Trump and Cook as individuals, this marketing tour is what America needs. When it comes to large companies with manufacturing influence, Boeing punched themselves in the eye, the auto industry appears old and tired from the outside (while new companies like Tesla constantly get beat up by the public,) and most other electronic companies have very little pull in the US. If you read the headlines you would think all jobs are going away while America struggles to keep its head above water.

I'm happy to see two polar opposites get together - albeit for a photo op - and at least discuss their differences. Too bad a large portion of America disagrees with this and would rather hurl insults and judge each other. #cancelculture

Last edited:

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
Tim Cook doesn’t care about Americans having jobs. If Cook really cared about Americans having jobs, then Apple wouldn’t have hired the vast majority of its H-1B workers instead of Americans.

If there were Americans qualified enough - or interested enough - to do those jobs, Apple probably wouldn't have to go through the gigantic legal pain to get H1B visas for foreigners. It takes at least two years to get such a visa even if you have Apple's huge legal department and their unlimited financial resources at your disposal. And then there still is no guarantee that you will get the visa.

The truth is slightly different than what Trump tells you: It's incredibly hard to become a legal alien in the US. The other truth is that those legal aliens are not taking away any American jobs, because the reason they got their visa is that there was no qualified American to do the job.

You should be grateful for every foreigner who is stupid enough to migrate to a country that still has the barbaric death sentence and someone like Trump as its president.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.