Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
Nice deflection from the conversation at hand.

Still, it sounds like you have hard information supporting your assertion. I sure would like to see your proof on the above. Post a few links, if you will.

I look at Apple job openings for engineers. All require a BS or MS, many a PhD.

Not a single mention of increasing opportunities for people from poor backgrounds, but plenty of talk about how they're willing to hire people who look like they might have been disadvantaged.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011

Not a single mention of increasing opportunities for people from poor backgrounds, but plenty of talk about how they're willing to hire people who look like they might have been disadvantaged.

Another deflection from you.

Up above in Post# 103 you asserted: "...Apple actively discriminates in its hiring so they can exploit their "diversity" for marketing."

Since you put that out there as truth, I asked for proof. And you respond with just another big bowl of FUD.

Naraxus

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2016
Another deflection from you.

Up above in Post# 103 you asserted: "...Apple actively discriminates in its hiring so they can exploit their "diversity" for marketing."

Since you put that out there as truth, I asked for proof. And you respond with just another big bowl of FUD.
Is it impossible for you to answer a simple question?

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
why people are not boycotting Apple and publicly shaming them like they did with Blizzard
Because Apple bans Alex Jones and makes a squirt gun emoji. It has all the “right” liberal values, so when things like this happen, it gets a pass. I call it “Woke Credit” and Apple has a perfect score

why do you think people like Alec Baldwin get a pass when they demean gays? They have the “right” liberals values in all other respects, so they get a pass.

It’s why when Harvey Weinstein got caught, his first statement was to say he was going to spend all his time going after the NRA. His credit wasn’t quite good enough and his sin was heinous, so he didn’t get a pass.

Reactions: hermes16

iRutherford

Suspended
Oct 30, 2018
Columbus, OH
Please. Stop showing "The Morning Show" for everything to do with Apple TV+.
Advisory board. Does anyone who’s distressed, concerned, outraged, etc know what that position entails? Hint: the advisory board meets once per year. But it’s definitely a great networking opportunity.

Cook’s been a member since 2013. Chairman is a three year term, so you won’t have to be concerned for too long, only three meetings. Maybe Elon Musk will be the next chairman and you’ll direct your outrage and conspiracy theories at him :)

If not Elon, maybe one of the other advisory board members:

The Advisory Board of Tsinghua University School of Economics and Management (2018-2019)

Honorary Chairman
ZHU Rongji
Founding Dean, School of Economics and Management, Tsinghua University (1984-2001)
Premier, State Council, People’s Republic of China (1998-2003)

Honorary Members
Lord Browne of Madingley
Executive Chairman, L1 Energy
Chairman, Huawei Technologies (UK) Ltd.
Former Group Chief Executive, BP PLC

Henry M. Paulson, Jr.
Chairman, Paulson Institute
Former U.S. Secretary of the Treasury
Former Chairman and CEO, The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc.

H. Lee Scott, Jr.
Member, Senior Advisory Council Board for BDT and Company
Former President and CEO, Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.

WANG Qishan
Vice-President, People’s Republic of China

Chairman
Jim Breyer
Founder and CEO, Breyer Capital

Vice Chairmen
QIU Yong
President, Tsinghua University

QIAN Yingyi
Distinguished Professor of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences, Tsinghua University
Professor of Economics, School of Economics and Management, Tsinghua University
The Fourth Dean (2006-2018), School of Economics and Management, Tsinghua University

Members
Mary T. Barra
Chairman and CEO, General Motors Company

Lloyd C. Blankfein
Chairman of the Board, The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc.

Carlos Brito
CEO, Anheuser-Busch InBev

CHANG Zhenming
Chairman, CITIC Group

CHEN Jining
Mayor, Beijing Municipal Government
Former Minister, Ministry of Environmental Protection, People’s Republic of China
Former President, Tsinghua University

CHEN Yuan
Vice Chairperson, The 12th National Committee of the Chinese People’s Political Consultative Conference (CPPCC)
Former Chairman, China Development Bank

Tim Cook
CEO, Apple

Michael L. Corbat
CEO, Citigroup Inc.

Michael Dell
Chairman and CEO, Dell Technologies

Jamie Dimon
Chairman and CEO, JPMorgan Chase & Co.

Robert Dudley
Group Chief Executive, BP PLC

Denis Duverne
Chairman of the Board, AXA Group

Laurence D. Fink
Chairman and CEO, BlackRock, Inc.

William E. Ford
CEO, General Atlantic

Victor K. Fung
Group Chairman, Fung Group
Honorary Chairman, Li & Fung Limited

Christopher B. Galvin
Former Chairman, CEO and Co-Founder, Harrison Street Capital LLC
Former Chairman and CEO, Motorola Inc.

Geoffrey Garrett
Dean, The Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania

Carlos Ghosn
Chairman and CEO, Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi

Terry Gou
Founder and CEO, Foxconn Technology Group

Mario Greco
CEO, Zurich Insurance Group

Maurice R. Greenberg
Chairman and CEO, Starr Companies

GU Binglin
Director, Institute for Advanced Study, Tsinghua University

GUO Shuqing
Secretary of Party Committee and Deputy Governor, People’s Bank of China
Chairman and Secretary of Party Committee, China Banking and Insurance Regulatory Commission
Former Governor, Shandong Province

HO Ching
CEO, Temasek Holdings Private Limited

Nobuyuki Idei
Founder and CEO, Quantum Leaps Corporation
Former Chairman and Group CEO, Sony Corporation

Muhtar Kent
Chairman, The Coca-Cola Company

Henry R. Kravis
Co-Chairman and Co-Chief Executive Officer, KKR

Harald Krüger
Chairman of the Board of Management, BMW AG

Ramon Laguarta
CEO, PepsiCo

Jonathan D. Levin
Philip H. Knight Professor and Dean, Stanford Graduate School of Business

Richard C. Levin
Senior Adviser and Former CEO, Coursera
President Emeritus, Yale University

Richard Li
Chairman and Chief Executive, Pacific Century Group

Robin Li
Co-Founder, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Baidu, Inc.

LI Rongrong
Former Chairman, State-Owned Assets Supervision and Administration Commission of the State Council

LIU He
Member, Political Bureau of CPC Central Committee
Vice-Premier, State Council, People’s Republic of China
Head, General Office of the Central Leading Group for Financial and Economic Affairs

LIU Mingkang
Former Chairman, China Banking Regulatory Commission

LIU Shiyu
Chairman, China Securities Regulatory Commission (CSRC)
Secretary, The CPC Committee of CSRC

LOU Jiwei
Standing Committee Member and Chairman of the Committee of Foreign Affairs, The 13th National Committee of the Chinese People’s Political Consultative Conference (CPPCC)
Chairman, National Council for Social Security Fund
Former Minister, Ministry of Finance, People’s Republic of China

Andrónico Luksic
Chairman, Luksic Group

Jack Ma
Executive Chairman, Alibaba Group

MA Kai
Member, Political Bureau of the 18th CPC Central Committee
Vice-Premier, State Council, People’s Republic of China (2013-2018)

Pony Ma
Core Founder, Chairman of the Board and CEO, Tencent

Eric S. Maskin
Adams University Professor, Harvard University
2007 Nobel Laureate in Economics

Doug McMillon
President and CEO, Walmart Inc.

Mike McNamara
CEO, Flex

Elon Musk
CEO, Space Exploration Technologies (SpaceX)
CEO, Tesla, Inc.

Satya Nadella
CEO, Microsoft

Nitin Nohria
George F. Baker Professor of Administration
Dean, Harvard Business School

Brian L. Roberts
Chairman and CEO, Comcast Corporation

Ginni Rometty
Chairman, President and CEO, IBM

David M. Rubenstein
Co-Founder and Co-Executive Chairman, The Carlyle Group

David C. Schmittlein
John C Head III Dean, MIT Sloan School of Management

Stephen A. Schwarzman
Chairman, CEO and Co-Founder, Blackstone

Risto Siilasmaa
Chairman, Nokia Corporation
Chairman and Founder, F-Secure Corporation

Kevin Sneader
Global Managing Partner, McKinsey & Company

Masayoshi Son
Chairman and CEO, SoftBank Group Corp.

A. Michael Spence
Professor, Stern School of Business, New York University
2001 Nobel Laureate in Economics

Ratan N. Tata
Chairman, Tata Trusts
Chairman Emeritus of Tata Sons, Tata Industries, Tata Motors, Tata Steel and Tata Chemicals

John L. Thornton
Executive Chairman, Barrick Gold Corporation
Chairman, Board of Trustees, Brookings Institution

Ben van Beurden
Chief Executive Officer, Royal Dutch Shell plc

Jacob Wallenberg
Chairman of the Board, Investor AB

WANG Dazhong

Marjorie Yang
Chairman, Esquel Group

YI Gang
Governor, People’s Bank of China

ZHAO Chunjun
The Second Dean (2001-2005), School of Economics and Management, Tsinghua University

ZHOU Xiaochuan
Vice Chairperson, The 12th National Committee of the Chinese People’s Political Consultative Conference (CPPCC)
Former Governor, People’s Bank of China

Mark Zuckerberg
Founder and CEO, Facebook

I guess people are concerned because no other college or university in the world has this much "support" from Western countries. These CEOs don't even have the same positions in their home countries!

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
I get the feeling Cook won’t be CEO much longer. I wouldn’t be surprised if in the next couple of years Jeff Williams is named CEO. Maybe Tim Cook stays on the board or the executive team as chairman or something but not CEO.
Williams seems to be a Cook clone. Same dude.
[automerge]1571716188[/automerge]
I don't see what's the big deal, Cook has been on the committee since 2013. He just moved to chairman because of a vacancy.

The famous University of Chicago/Booth School of Business advisory committee has CEOs and business leaders from all over the world, including China. Same with Wharton and London School of Economics.

I see no reason why prestigious universities from other countries teaching management doesn't do the same.
Appearances and timing.

iRutherford

Suspended
Oct 30, 2018
Columbus, OH
Because Apple bans Alex Jones and makes a squirt gun emoji. It has all the “right” liberal values, so when things like this happen, it gets a pass. I call it “Woke Credit” and Apple has a perfect score

why do you think people like Alec Baldwin get a pass when they demean gays? They have the “right” liberals values in all other respects, so they get a pass.

It’s why when Harvey Weinstein got caught, his first statement was to say he was going to spend all his time going after the NRA. His credit wasn’t quite good enough and his sin was heinous, so he didn’t get a pass.

Harvey Weinstein was more of a sacrifice, so feminism can be weaponized politically (#MeToo, #TimesUp, false allegations, #BelieveAllWomen) against successful men and those who don't hold the same values. It was quite evident it was planned in preparation of the midterm elections and maybe the next one.

You see, Weinstein rarely ever gets mentioned now. Oprah, of all people, denounced Michael Jackson based on debunked and unfounded sexual harassment allegations, yet stays quiet about her best friend, Harvey. Same goes with Clinton. I'm no conspiracy theorist. It's just so funny how blatant it all is.

Reactions: Glockworkorange

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
Unfortunately, social issues like equal rights and commitment to not discriminate, ie treating everyone equally, don't come with tax breaks.

Treat everyone equally unless they believe in the Second Amendment. Those folk get a squirt gun emoji.

Or unless they’re Alex Jones. Those people get disappeared.

Apple—modern day book burners. Especially on orders from Beijing.

Reactions: Naraxus

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Treat everyone equally unless they believe in the Second Amendment. Those folk get a squirt gun emoji.

My comment above regarding equal rights was respect to Apple's employment policies.

However... As a consumer, if a tech company giving you a squirt gun emoji gives you a major case of the shakes, and you feel that your rights are being violated so strongly, maybe its time to find a different product manufacturer.

Vote with your wallet and find happiness. Why be weak and compromise on your principles?

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013

This is the point missed by Apple defenders who argue Apple isn't a monopoly like their life depends on it.

Monopoly isn't about going from 49.9% market share to 50.1%, it's about being able to unilaterally take actions against the interests of your own customers but being so confident that you're big enough that you won't suffer any negative consequences from it.

Reactions: Menneisyys2

BGPL

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2016
California
Meanwhile, my macs and my iPhone won't sync anything since I updated to Catalina and iOS 13, so it's hard to know which to blame. A month into iOS 13, and we're at 13.1.3. Back at apple, there's paper airplanes floating through the office, people sleeping at their desks, and someone's cat eating leftovers in the break room.

This is what happens when your CEO checks out, plays politics and stops caring about actual products.

Tim, all Apple does is product development and you have completely lost sight of that. When is someone going to see that and get rid of him? If he continues to steer the ship, AAPL will fall hard.

Reactions: Menneisyys2

atomic.flip

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2008
Orange County, CA
I would love to say this is just business as usual. As an entrepreneur myself. I have several colleagues who sit on numerous boards separate from the work they do as heads of their own companies.

That being said. This particular board appointment is so “in your face” at just the wrong time for Apple.

Let’s all call this what it is. Apple’s board of directors and Tim Cook are both well aware that the US and Western European markets are contracting due to product saturation. The only viable areas for growth are places like India and China. China is a far more prosperous and likely candidate for an initial full fledged push.

Frankly, all the moves Apple has been making of late seem to point to a general detachment from it’s US based roots.

Regardless the financial justifications this just wont sit well with the American consumer and even less so with the American business community (who still have a serious influence on us politicians). But considering the abysmal result of the current administrations “trade war” with China and the lack of knowledge or understanding of the average US consumer I see little opportunity for change.

Eventually all this will settle into the background as noise.

For the record: I believe this is definitely one of those moments where the ethical boundaries are being seriously tested. These moments rarely result in a positive long term outcome.

Wiesenlooser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
How can Apple make us believe they care about privacy when they are in bad with the biggest spying machine and anti-privacy regime ever created in human history?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.