Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sakurarain

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2018
Shanghai
I won't be surprised that one day our Timmy gives himself an official Chinese name, and then plans to invest some real estates in China.... or maybe he did that already?

Reactions: Menneisyys2

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.

Not a single mention of increasing opportunities for people from poor backgrounds, but plenty of talk about how they're willing to hire people who look like they might have been disadvantaged.

Actually, they do. Keep in mind, Apple needs new hires with sufficient education and training. But if you look at the part where Apple talks about educational institutions they partner with, the first type they list is "community colleges". Community colleges, on average, serve kids who come from educationally disadvantaged backgrounds; in other words, "poor".

It's there; you just need to unstick your mind from your preconceptions.

Reactions: citysnaps

Damian83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Why "apple CEO" tim cook? i think that people that reads macrumors knows who he is, like people of the world knows who is donald trump. rarely i read on news "president of the USA donald trump"
anyway, i'm wondering what tim cook ever did for apple, apart from posing with his meme-style smile...

Reactions: simonmet

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
So much for “Think Different.” Apple’s motto should be: “Don‘t think. Don’t question. Accept and Obey.”

ElectricPotato

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2018
Seattle
I wonder if this will "deeply concern" U.S. lawmakers like last week?
This is serious enough they might be troubled, or even alarmed. They will never actually do anything though.
[automerge]1571765287[/automerge]
Apple’s motto should be: “Don‘t think. Don’t question. Accept and Obey.”

Cue Tim's face pasted on Davros.

Last edited:

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
That was not young back then.
I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but I suspect you're thinking of life expectancy over history which has improved over the years but is heavily weighted by child mortality. Not many countries are founded by infants...

Jefferson died at 83, Franklin at 84, Adams at 90, Madison at 85, and Washington at 67 (turns out blood letting doesn't cure a sore throat).

Hamilton died fairly young at somewhere around 48, but gunshots can do that. On the other side of that gun, Burr lived to 80.

So I'd still argue 33 was pretty young in that context.

Reactions: Hirakata

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but I suspect you're thinking of life expectancy over history which has improved over the years but is heavily weighted by child mortality. Not many countries are founded by infants...

Jefferson died at 83, Franklin at 84, Adams at 90, Madison at 85, and Washington at 67 (turns out blood letting doesn't cure a sore throat).

Hamilton died fairly young at somewhere around 48, but gunshots can do that. On the other side of that gun, Burr lived to 80.

So I'd still argue 33 was pretty young in that context.
No, that's not what I was referring to.

33 year olds weren't "man children."

The priorities and life outlook of a man in his 30's in the 1700's is much different that today.

In a word---more mature. Much, much more mature.

But go ahead and "WELL, ACTUALLY..." me.

Don't assume next time, smart guy.

fermat-au

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2009
Australia
Apple CEO Tim Cook is now the chairman of the advisory board of the Tsinghua University School of Economics and Management (SEM) in Beijing,
Now that Tim has a new job who is going to taking over as CEO of Apple?
Surely he can't hold both positions simultaneously that would be a conflict of interest.

KanosWRX

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
Is Apple going to become a Chinese based company? Where is Tim leading them? I realize this doesn't directly relate to Apple.. but damn that doesn't look good!

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
No, that's not what I was referring to.

33 year olds weren't "man children."

The priorities and life outlook of a man in his 30's in the 1700's is much different that today.

In a word---more mature. Much, much more mature.

But go ahead and "WELL, ACTUALLY..." me.

Don't assume next time, smart guy.
Thank you for illustrating that maturity vs. man child point so clearly.

Your ambiguous 6 word comment probably didn't deserve the respect of a thoughtful and researched response, and I apologize if my taking your comment at face value offended you, but if you don't want people to assume then you should say what you mean. Don't say "young" when you mean "immature", and if you're trying to pivot someone else's conversation away from a discussion about age to one about priorities and life outlook then either be explicit about it or be understanding when those in the conversation you interrupted didn't follow the change in focus-- because I agree with what substance there was in your reply, but your tone makes it really hard to continue any kind of civil discussion.

Last edited:

Muzzakus

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2011
Tim Kong Wing Tong and the United States of China

Who ever though capitalism would knowingly walk itself into communism. I guess there are no limits to the pursuit of the almighty dollar.

Williesleg

Cancelled
Oct 28, 2014
Nice deflection from the conversation at hand.

Still, it sounds like you have hard information supporting your assertion. I sure would like to see your proof on the above. Post a few links, if you will.

I look at Apple job openings for engineers. All require a BS or MS, many a PhD.

Unfortunately lots of people from certain areas of the world simply pay to get a BS, MS or PhD.
I've personally experienced many of them. They even joke about it.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Unfortunately lots of people from certain areas of the world simply pay to get a BS, MS or PhD.
I've personally experienced many of them. They even joke about it.

That's only unfortunate for small companies that don't verify degrees or engage an applicant with multiple rigorous technical interviews.

We did, as do all large companies such as Apple who are fussy about who they hire. Nobody wants an unqualified engineer in their ranks dragging a department down.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Yep...same with Satya Nadella, Elon Musk, Michael Dell, Muhtar Kent, Ginni Rometty, and many other successful CEOs.

How's your courage lately? Have you mustered enough to commit to not purchasing products, tech and non-tech, from companies that that manufacture their products in China, since you feel so strongly about the situation?
I actually don’t care if I end up buying a OnePlus phone that’s made by the Chinese in China. Really, with the way our corporations have sold our country and our values out, what choices are we left with? Carrier pigeons?

But when it comes to this thing with Apple, it is not China that’s p*s*** people off per se. The weasels who are torturing dissidents aren’t the same people making and selling OnePlus phones or vacuum cleaners for Bissel. I have nothing against the vast majority of Chinese people. They’re just trying to live as best they can, same as I am

No, it is an American CEO who constantly preaches a certain set of values and constantly throws his weight around trying to influence politics in this country using the most self righteous tone. And actually I agree with most of his politics, but that’s beside the point.

But when push comes to shove and he can make a stand for those values in the smallest most quiet of ways, he not only caves (which is halfway understandable) but does so in the most disingenuous way possible.

And worse he really didn’t need to. It was in an internal communication to employees that got leaked. And it was absolute disingenuous crap he fed his own people. How can a man who looks up to Dr. King the way he says he does spout such bull crap and then go look in the mirror later?

Up to that point, none of us customers were storming the spaceship demanding an explanation. He could have just said it was a business decision. End of. What were they going to do, have a protest food fight in the employee cafeteria? Doubtful. And you know what, if the Board didn’t like his honesty, they can get rid of him. He’s still a flipping billionaire. But then he’s a billionaire with integrity. Let someone else be China’s you know what.

I have respected what Tim Cook has tried to do for LGBT causes and the environment, but he courts China with a fervor that is disturbing to witness from the CEO of a company that was founded by a former smelly hippy.

Apple made waves with a commercial that evoked images of a rebellion against 1984. Yet Tim smiles the biggest when he is singing the praises of a country that is the very embodiment of Orwellian dystopia. I get that even Steve Jobs might have ended up here, too. I’d be pissed at him, too, honestly. But maybe less so because he never pretended to be a humanitarian. Or even particularly nice.

And it does me no good to see the list of the other people on that board. I can’t say I have any special respect for the lot of them either. At best I’m ambivalent.

Tim being on this board is no huge deal, yes that point has been made. Just the timing of this announcement opens up the opportunity to vent yet again how over the top devoted he seems to be to that country. I can only hope he’s really a secret agent stealing THEIR IP for once. Actually I shouldn’t even joke about that. Those crazy🤬 can’t even take a Winnie the Pooh joke.

Reactions: Ian4Mac and ipponrg

Omega Mac

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2013
Exactly! Conflict of interest, much!

Ya know the more we see Tim out in the wild I wonder has he los the run of himself, a great operation mad ok but when it comes to politics, be nice of these mega crops stepped back, thy are set appointed high-priests as such was men point, his recent dinner with Obama and De Niro, well freedom of association and all that but hmmm.. considering what's going on politically, his position of influence across geographical markets and media platforms, well a BIG Hhmmm consider the pressure O & DN are under presently, maybe it's nothing and they're all just media buds talking about their favourite scripts, TV Shows and movie stars of all time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.