Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple CEO Tim Cook and President Donald Trump this afternoon visited the Texas facility where Apple plans to manufacture some new Mac Pro models, and during the visit, Cook spoke with ABC News about the factory and Apple's new campus opening up in Austin, Texas.

Cook said he's "proud" to build the new Mac Pro in the United States. Apple plans to assemble the new Mac Pro at its Austin facility, with the machines put together in Texas to be shipped "across the Americas." Apple also assembled the 2013 Mac Pro in Texas at the same facility.

timcookabcnews-800x600.jpg

"We are really proud to make the Mac Pro here," said Cook. "This computer is our most powerful computer we've ever made, by far."

When asked why the iPhone is still made in China, Cook said that he believes the "iPhone is made everywhere." Cook also confirmed that while the Mac Pro is being assembled in Texas, there are no plans to begin assembling iPhone models in the United States.
"If you look at the glass of the iPhone, which everybody touches all day long, that glass is made in Kentucky. If you were to take apart the iPhone you would see many of the silicone components that are made in the United States as well," he added. "The iPhone is the product of a global supply chain."
Cook declined to comment on how the next China tariffs could impact the iPhone, restating his hopes that the U.S. and China will come to an agreement.
"I'm so convinced that it's in the best interest of the U.S. and best interest of China, and so if you have two parties where there's a common best interest there has got to be some kind of path forward here. And I think that will happen."
Cook said that he has no concerns over Apple's relationship with China, though he prays for "everyone's safety" in Hong Kong," and more broadly for dialogue. "I think that good people coming together can decide ways forward," Cook said.

Apple has been facing criticism for pulling the HKLive app from the App Store, which was used by protestors in Hong Kong to share information on police movements. Cook said that despite the criticism, Apple acts the same in China as it does in the United States and Europe.

China, said Cook, has never asked Apple to unlock an iPhone, but the United States has. "And we stood up against that, and said we can't do it," Cook said. "Our privacy commitment is a worldwide one."

Of his efforts to communicate directly with President Donald Trump, Cook said that he doesn't believe in "having people talk on [his] behalf." Cook also said that he's focused on "policies and not politics" and has "full faith" in the American system.

Cook wrapped up the interview with some thoughts on Apple's future investments. "I don't have my eye on anything big," he said. "I have my eye on a lot of interesting small things."

Cook's full ABC News interview can be read over on the ABC News website.

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Political News forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Apple CEO Tim Cook 'Proud' to Build New Mac Pro in Texas

Last edited:

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
I love that Tim’s helmet doesn’t fit properly. It’s symbolic of this pathetic PR stunt to play to Trump’s ego so Apple can get tariff exemptions. It reminds me of how the Saudi’s plastered his Trump posters everywhere like a visiting dictator.

I generally love Apple’s values, but this a bridge too far. For shame Tim. For shame.

Justanotherfanboy

Suspended
Jul 3, 2018
I love that Tim’s helmet doesn’t fit properly. It’s symbolic of this pathetic PR stunt to play to Trump’s ego so Apple can get tariff exemptions. It reminds me of how the Saudi’s plastered his Trump posters everywhere like a visiting dictator.

I generally love Apple’s values, but this a bridge too far. For shame Tim. For shame.
That’s Tim’s personal hard hat. Notice how hers is completely different? Tim wears this same one, w/ the custom Apple logo in all construction photos (Apple Park pics, mostly). I think it fits just fine.

rjp1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2015
Good move, but it’s not enough!

Get out of China!

It was very disturbing to read the reports last week that the Chinese are still killing prisoners to harvest their organs. Sad to see Apple bow down to their government that does stuff like this. I’d gladly pay more to not support the Chinese!

rikscha

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2010
London
I am proud that our President is there to see the new facility and the plans for the Mac Pro! Good stuff.
I think you should read up on the definition of proud. You can be proud of your own achievements but not for someone visiting a factory. To your defense, the word ‘proud’ is overly and incorrectly used in US all the time.

Adam Warlock

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2016
When asked why the iPhone is still made in China, Cook said that he believes the "iPhone is made everywhere."
Huh. So why does it say "Made in China" on the box?

And what does he mean by he "believes" it's made everywhere? Is it, or isn't it? If it is he should talk to the guys who print the text on the box and the back of the phone 'cuz it still reads "Made in China."

McTaste

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2014

And what does he mean by he "believes" it's made everywhere? Is it, or isn't it? If it is he should talk to the guys who print the text on the box and the back of the phone 'cuz it still reads "Made in China."
You've never just had that feeling like iphones are made everywhere?

inhalexhale1

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2011
PA

You're mad because Tim wore a hard hat in a hard hat area?

And/or he's faking head safety to make Trump happy?

....or you saw Trump and melted down....I'm guessing this one....;)

drumcat

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2008
Otautahi, Aotearoa
24 posts in, and nothing on the participant on the left... proud of you, MR. :)
[automerge]1574303548[/automerge]

That's actually how they're supposed to fit. See photo, left.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise

Unless it changed it doesn’t. It says assembled in China.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.