Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marco114

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2001
USA
I am happy Trump was able to Negotiate to keep the Mac Pro in Texas. Apple had announced that it was moving it back to China. China is a communist dictatorship and we should not be supporting their slave labor ways. They also steal technology from the US.

The only way to get them to change is to stop buying their products. This is a TINY step in the right direction. But it needs to be a major shift. There is zero reason Americans can't build the products we need.

The stuff going on in China Hong Kong right now is terrible. Hong Kong always thought of themselves as a free state away from the Mainland China and this power grab is pretty much an invasion. Hong Kong was a bustling economy with a lot of freedoms and they are going in the wrong direction. All this stuff going on is a step back 30 years for China.

Their economy is starting to fail and that's why the Dictators are coming in and taking over Hong Kong.
[automerge]1574441516[/automerge]
https://daringfireball.net/2019/11/cook_trump_campaign_ad

First time I’ve seen John Gruber take a swipe at Tim Cook on his website. I’m curious though, if Tim Cook was a fan of Trump (or at least neutral) would Gruber stop using Apple products? Tim Cook isn’t going to get Trump re-elected. Also he’s got more important things to worry about than whether he’s allowing Trump to use Apple for some good PR. If doing so benefits Apple policy wise I would argue it’s a worthwhile tradeoff.

I feel like Cook is a libertarian with so much emphasis on Privacy. That's why I like him.

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007
I bet Apple marketing would love that... But really there is no logic in your statement.
How about you take your own advice and boycott all sites and social media that portrait Apple in a negative light? Because it would be much more righteous for you to express your outrage with complete silence. Because complete silence leads to change and a better world, especially when it comes to social and political issues. Not.

I don't go to sites I don't like just to snarl and whine. If you don't like Apple this isn't the place for you.

ZeuSGoKiL

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2016
Norlisk, Mother Russia
I understand why they need to give Trump this photo op (tariff help), but I wish they would stand by their morals in this regard. They always tout that their principles drive their decisions, but this clearly motivated by money and overlooks a lot of shortcomings of the current administration.

SPeakingof morale infront of Trump policy yeah think again and better think hard while at it.
[automerge]1574466998[/automerge]
I wasn't correlating or comparing the two. Both are problematic and are no good for society.
[automerge]1574350077[/automerge]

That's a fair point. It hasn't for the most part, aside from me recognizing more and more how truly corrupt things are and how the bulk of America is too dumb to realize it. I suppose I should be used to Apple speaking out both sides of their mouth, as every company generally does.

Well then again Companies will always says where the money is .

developer13245

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2012
WRONG! Inferior in every way possible.

Jony Ive did NOT reimagine that hard hat with Apple DNA design genius, therefore it is totally inappropriate for any purpose. Putting an Apple logo on it is the highest form of SIN!!!

But Tim's and Elon's heads are thicker than the hardhat anyway, so it's unnecessary:

I'd like to see the steel ball test on them!

Williesleg

Cancelled
Oct 28, 2014
When will Tim Cooked donate his billions to the border jumpers and open his home to refugees? Didn't think so. But he has no problem telling everyone else what to do. Time for Californians to take back their state, the frog has done been boiled.

supercoolmanchu

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2012
Hollywood
Is this inception? The trade war called for the end of assembling the Mac Pro in the US so a waiver of trade war that didn’t need to be started kept them here...

Apple never stated the trade war or tariffs were behind the decision to stop making Mac Pros in Texas.

Apple only had said to the Wall St Journal that it’s engineering team wanted access to cheaper parts and more established manufacturing line already more available in China.

Given that all their other manufacturing is done there, and low volume of 2013 Mac Pros, seems like a typical cost savings move than current political one.

And considering that low volume of the desktops, moving production back was probably an easy bone to throw Trump for some tariff relief.

However I think it’s time Apple also starts making their ARM CPUs in the US, and especially if they transition Macs CPUs there. Trump admin would be smart to recognize the value of keeping the manufacture of advanced parts like CPUs inside the US, and pressure Apple (and others) to keep the choice stuff made at home.

Cook would also be smart to use the repatriated foreign cash horde to start setting up exactly this. Even smarter to push Trump for help/tax breaks to set-up advanced manufacturing plants and jobs in the US. The short term cost is worth offsetting the long term IP bleed from manufacturing in China.

If partisans are too preoccupied in stupid political slap fights to also realize this, they are complete fools and... horrible for the future of the Mac platform.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
That’s not true. Rent and basic necessities may be lower, but the prices of other goods are not. A surviving wage is not a livable wage. Slave owners used to make the same kinds of arguments. “They grew up as slaves so it’s all they know. They like being slaves. They have everything they need.”

Do you have any statistics to back that up? College professors in China, for example, typically earn between 3,000 to 6,000 yuan ($420 to $850) per month and are still able to afford a middle class lifestyle. Foxconn workers earn about 2000 yuan per month on average in comparison. While it's not a high wage by any means, I wouldn't say it only amounts to a surviving wage.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
It was very disturbing to read the reports last week that the Chinese are still killing prisoners to harvest their organs. Sad to see Apple bow down to their government that does stuff like this. I’d gladly

Jesus H ... are you even remotely BS'ing about this? I sincerely hope so ... what is being done with those organs? Source?

Cook and Trump we shall see good things to come.

First you Trump ... then you Cook ... then you eat hardy.

developer13245

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2012
You are looking for 'justice' in the wrong place. Our governments need to make doing business with China illegal. I'll wait to see when that happens (certainly not in my lifetime)!

I am completely in agreement with you that China/CCP have very obviously violated the agreement, and have done for some time now. These latest changes though were where the HK citizens knew would be a point of no return.

Unfortunately, we all know how this will end. With these kids—and probably their families!—imprisoned and the murdered by the state.

Then their organs will be harvested and sold to the highest bidders/wealthiest. Which we should call what it is: cannibalism. What else do you call it when human beings consume other human beings for parts!?

No one in any democracy should be doing business with China. They should be treated like the pariah state that they truly are. But until our government addresses this, businesses will continue to invest and sell products in China. It is their fiduciary duty to their companies to maximize profit and...sell to all available markets. China needs to be made 'unavailable.'

The U.S. thought that capitalism would ultimately democratize China. We're seeing that this will not happen—not without another revolution, and probably a great deal of bloodshed. Those monsters in power have no plans to ever relinquish control. China is the dream-nation for murderous totalitarians everywhere.

It just gets worse. When students attempted to leave HK Polytechnic (albeit in mass to avoid arrest), the Hong Kong police deployed tear gas to drive them back into the campus - then - fired more tear gas into the campus.

Fact: Tear gas is designed to disperse crowds - this is its ONLY proper use. Using it to confine crowds is inflicting terror. Firing tear gas at people in a confined space is torture.

If justified legally, Police can make arrests and disperse crowds using proper methods that require limited use of force. Using tear gas to terrorize and torture people - even if they are breaking the law - amounts to tyranny.

But this is where things get tricky.

It's certainly valid to assert that by allowing this type of police behavior the Hong Kong government has lost its legitimacy, but we must be careful. Making this charge only plays into the Chinese Communist Party's (CCP) strategy of moving in to occupy Hong Kong. If there is an international charge that the Hong Kong Government is illegitimate, then the CCP would actually be justified in moving in (even based on the 1997 handover treaty). Condemning the Hong Kong government in this way would be an impotent / stupid move.

The other alternative would be the "Big Move" in making the truthful charges of CCP meddling in the Hong Kong situation. There is evidence of CCP directed violence, incitement, and other actions aimed at destabilizing Hong Kong. There is also evidence that the CCP actions have been covered up by the Hong Kong authorities at the direction of the CCP. But calling out the CCP on its efforts to destabilize Hong Kong will create a huge problem because the claims will need to be "prosecuted" in the international arena. This will be a S61t show that no one needs right now. Such "prosecution" will only justify Hong Kong anger and certainly escalate damaging protests, which will cause the situation to further devolve, and eventually play into the CCP's strategy of a justified Hong Kong occupation.

So both the above options are bad because Hong Kong gets "burned" if either option is chosen.

But we all know that communism is the failed system because it relies on authoritarianism to even "keep the lights on". Sadly, we thought gassing people was a horror of history, but now we are seeing it perpetrated by the CCP right before our eyes. Even the "veiled proxy" of Hong Kong Police is wearing thin. Tear gas may not be fatal, but when used the way we've seen in Hong Kong it certainly amounts to terror and torture.

But luckily there is a 3rd option that will take out the CCP while hopefully sparing Hong Kong and as much of China as is possible. Yes, the CCP must go down, but it has to crumble on its own, or at least it has to appear that way. Option #3 is the stealth option, and it is underway. There is a huge and vulnerable set of CCP interests world wide, so expect some visible "flare ups" while option #3 is in play. But be assured there are many things already ablaze behind the scenes. Been to Canada lately? :cool:

Communism is a sham, and a scourge on humanity. It should have auto-failed a long time ago, but world leaders made stupid mistakes in the past. Finally taking it down is turning out to be easy by just removing the idiotic enablers that have kept it going this long. Taking additional adverse actions will expedite its demise. And, this is where everyone can join in the fun! How exciting!
[automerge]1574579545[/automerge]
Oh, One more thing:

"China, said Cook, has never asked Apple to unlock an iPhone, but the United States has. "And we stood up against that, and said we can't do it," Cook said. "Our privacy commitment is a worldwide one.""

This is a pathetic and stupid dodge.

The CCP does not need Apple to unlock an iPhone. The user just hands over the password, or watches his family, and his own organs get donated. The CCP will just rip your child's beating heart out their chest while you watch unless you give them what they want. I cannot believe people believe Timmy the Crook's ignorant, smug blathering.

Last edited:

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
That’s Tim’s personal hard hat. Notice how hers is completely different? Tim wears this same one, w/ the custom Apple logo in all construction photos (Apple Park pics, mostly). I think it fits just fine.

agreed. Some people just like to post fluff for the sake of it. I’m so sick of people not taking time to do a little hw.

FriendlyMackle

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2011
NYC
Apple, and the rest of the companies in the entire globe, exist for the express purpose of making money.
Making money is the cornerstone of capitalism, right along with competition to make said money.
And capitalism is amoral.
Thus, the expectation of egalitarianism from any company is disingenuous at best.
If American companies don't do business in China, someone else will.

It is not the role of companies to democratize countries. It is the role of the people in the country, and of foreign governments by leading by example and diplomacy (not war).

All that said, I am not Chinese, and I've never even been to China, let alone conversed with someone from there. So ALL the info I have regarding the country is hearsay.

But what's going on over there is, at least in part, the consequence (and perhaps overreaction?) of centuries of unchecked Euro-centric capitalism, ever since Europeans developed sails and cannons, and decided to conquer the entire globe in one form or another. That, coupled with human base instincts of greed and power.

The issue is nowhere near as simple as standing up and expressing (justified) dissent, although we have to start somewere. But no one want's to discuss or even acknowledge the root cause, we just try to address the visible symptoms. Beacuse no one wants to go: "oh man, WE started this".
I agree 100% that companies are amoral and exist only to make money, and that is how our economic and social system is currently organized. So company execs do have a duty to their shareholders/companies to maximize income and profit.

Which is why governments need to mandate action—that is, if a government has such an inclination.

Our government (in the U.S.) really does not care about human rights.

The only actions we take are against nations who are 'enemies' and who are also despotic. But if they are 'friendly' and despotic and murderous, well that has always been fine with the old U.S. of A.

Examples: Brazil, Argentina, El Salvador, Guatemala, Peru, Bolivia, & Chile back in the '80s; Saudi Arabia, Turkey, Syria, and of course the huge mess we directly helped to create in the Middle East (like Saddam Hussain in Iraq, propped up with copious US dollars throughout the '80s).

Unfortunately and realistically, such change as would be necessary will not happen while the human animal continues to manifest the same behaviors which he has historically enacted.
It just gets worse. When students attempted to leave HK Polytechnic (albeit in mass to avoid arrest), the Hong Kong police deployed tear gas to drive them back into the campus - then - fired more tear gas into the campus.

Fact: Tear gas is designed to disperse crowds - this is its ONLY proper use. Using it to confine crowds is inflicting terror. Firing tear gas at people in a confined space is torture.

If justified legally, Police can make arrests and disperse crowds using proper methods that require limited use of force. Using tear gas to terrorize and torture people - even if they are breaking the law - amounts to tyranny.

But this is where things get tricky.

It's certainly valid to assert that by allowing this type of police behavior the Hong Kong government has lost its legitimacy, but we must be careful. Making this charge only plays into the Chinese Communist Party's (CCP) strategy of moving in to occupy Hong Kong. If there is an international charge that the Hong Kong Government is illegitimate, then the CCP would actually be justified in moving in (even based on the 1997 handover treaty). Condemning the Hong Kong government in this way would be an impotent / stupid move.

The other alternative would be the "Big Move" in making the truthful charges of CCP meddling in the Hong Kong situation. There is evidence of CCP directed violence, incitement, and other actions aimed at destabilizing Hong Kong. There is also evidence that the CCP actions have been covered up by the Hong Kong authorities at the direction of the CCP. But calling out the CCP on its efforts to destabilize Hong Kong will create a huge problem because the claims will need to be "prosecuted" in the international arena. This will be a S61t show that no one needs right now. Such "prosecution" will only justify Hong Kong anger and certainly escalate damaging protests, which will cause the situation to further devolve, and eventually play into the CCP's strategy of a justified Hong Kong occupation.

So both the above options are bad because Hong Kong gets "burned" if either option is chosen.

But we all know that communism is the failed system because it relies on authoritarianism to even "keep the lights on". Sadly, we thought gassing people was a horror of history, but now we are seeing it perpetrated by the CCP right before our eyes. Even the "veiled proxy" of Hong Kong Police is wearing thin. Tear gas may not be fatal, but when used the way we've seen in Hong Kong it certainly amounts to terror and torture.

But luckily there is a 3rd option that will take out the CCP while hopefully sparing Hong Kong and as much of China as is possible. Yes, the CCP must go down, but it has to crumble on its own, or at least it has to appear that way. Option #3 is the stealth option, and it is underway. There is a huge and vulnerable set of CCP interests world wide, so expect some visible "flare ups" while option #3 is in play. But be assured there are many things already ablaze behind the scenes. Been to Canada lately? :cool:

Communism is a sham, and a scourge on humanity. It should have auto-failed a long time ago, but world leaders made stupid mistakes in the past. Finally taking it down is turning out to be easy by just removing the idiotic enablers that have kept it going this long. Taking additional adverse actions will expedite its demise. And, this is where everyone can join in the fun! How exciting!
[automerge]1574579545[/automerge]
Oh, One more thing:

"China, said Cook, has never asked Apple to unlock an iPhone, but the United States has. "And we stood up against that, and said we can't do it," Cook said. "Our privacy commitment is a worldwide one.""

This is a pathetic and stupid dodge.

The CCP does not need Apple to unlock an iPhone. The user just hands over the password, or watches his family, and his own organs get donated. The CCP will just rip your child's beating heart out their chest while you watch unless you give them what they want. I cannot believe people believe Timmy the Crook's ignorant, smug blathering.
Please explain your Canada comment—what is going on with regard to the Chinese?
I know that China has falsely detained Canadian citizens in revenge for Canada's extradition of the Huawei heiress. Canada has unfortunately (for them) fallen in as a U.S. proxy actor. Not the best place for their citizens, given that some are now forced to flee the China or else face imprisonment (I've read of some others who have been falsely accused and arrested in China recently).

Regarding Hong Kong, it really is dispiriting, since there is not much we outsiders can do. China would laugh/rage against any World Court judgement against them—but such a judgement will never happen anyway. China has too much financial sway throughout the world at this point. In their eyes, so what if westerners label them despotic or inhumane?

Hong Kong will be subsumed into China, like it or not. Sad to say, but the UK should never have conceded jurisdiction of HK to China. I highly doubt that the people of HK prefer being Chinese 'citizens' to having been a British commonwealth, despite the colonial history. At least they were free and not being murdered by the State. Also, the CCP is not going to be 'lenient' much longer, despite the world watching. They want full control of HK and will have it. But to appear 'weak' in the eyes of their public and the world is detestable to their leadership. I think a lot of people will be 'disappeared' from Hong Kong in the coming years. Anyone with means would do well to leave while they still can—if they still can leave (and take any of their assets with them).

As for Cook, I see him as like any other CEO of a mega-corporation. At the end of the day, he is there to protect and promote the brand. And part of that is obeying the laws of countries where they do business. Even when those countries are murderous autocracies. Should they be doing business with China? Personally, I feel they should not. But rationally, I understand that this is a huge market which they cannot afford to leave.

ZeuSGoKiL

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2016
Norlisk, Mother Russia
I agree 100% that companies are amoral and exist only to make money, and that is how our economic and social system is currently organized. So company execs do have a duty to their shareholders/companies to maximize income and profit.

Which is why governments need to mandate action—that is, if a government has such an inclination.

The only actions we take are against nations who are 'enemies' and who are also despotic. But if they are 'friendly' and despotic and murderous, well that has always been fine with the old U.S. of A.

Examples: Brazil, Argentina, El Salvador, Guatemala, Peru, Bolivia, & Chile back in the '80s; Saudi Arabia, Turkey, Syria, and of course the huge mess we directly helped to create in the Middle East (like Saddam Hussain in Iraq, propped up with copious US dollars throughout the '80s).

Unfortunately and realistically, such change as would be necessary will not happen while the human animal continues to manifest the same behaviors which he has historically enacted.

I know that China has falsely detained Canadian citizens in revenge for Canada's extradition of the Huawei heiress. Canada has unfortunately (for them) fallen in as a U.S. proxy actor. Not the best place for their citizens, given that some are now forced to flee the China or else face imprisonment (I've read of some others who have been falsely accused and arrested in China recently).

Regarding Hong Kong, it really is dispiriting, since there is not much we outsiders can do. China would laugh/rage against any World Court judgement against them—but such a judgement will never happen anyway. China has too much financial sway throughout the world at this point. In their eyes, so what if westerners label them despotic or inhumane?

Hong Kong will be subsumed into China, like it or not. Sad to say, but the UK should never have conceded jurisdiction of HK to China. I highly doubt that the people of HK prefer being Chinese 'citizens' to having been a British commonwealth, despite the colonial history. At least they were free and not being murdered by the State. Also, the CCP is not going to be 'lenient' much longer, despite the world watching. They want full control of HK and will have it. But to appear 'weak' in the eyes of their public and the world is detestable to their leadership. I think a lot of people will be 'disappeared' from Hong Kong in the coming years. Anyone with means would do well to leave while they still can—if they still can leave (and take any of their assets with them).

As for Cook, I see him as like any other CEO of a mega-corporation. At the end of the day, he is there to protect and promote the brand. And part of that is obeying the laws of countries where they do business. Even when those countries are murderous autocracies. Should they be doing business with China? Personally, I feel they should not. But rationally, I understand that this is a huge market which they cannot afford to leave.

I am pretty sure that is not to the British to decide anyways , Geographically Hong Kong is in China territory and yes British was there as a ruler for quite some time. And those treaty agreement was made well before year 1999 .

China is too huge a market and economy power to just being ignored or left alone. By the rate that they are going now .. I would have think that they have more prowess than the former USSR .

developer13245

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2012

This video sums up the situation:

Basically China is traveling down a dead end road and they know it. The CCP is driving, and the rest of the country is unwillingly along for the ride. The scary part is their road ends at a cliff and I'm convinced NO ONE realizes this, and the danger of them just careening off that cliff is very high. The consequences will be tremendous, yet there is absolutely nothing anybody can do about it.

I agree with most of the analysis in the video, but Mr. Waldron cannot see that he is also now on "the [China] payroll" system that he describes in the video. He presents great information about how 'experts' were so wrong in failing to predict the Soviet collapse. But now he is the 'expert', and his optimistic predictions will most likely be wrong. He rambles a bit (ok, more than a bit), but presents some great insight into how consensus is formed via "group think" and how outlying ideas can only go so far before they are considered "dissident" - great discussion.

He does call out western corporate ignorance regarding China, but at this point it is quite clear nothing will be done about that. He forms an excellent analogy to describe China - a delicatessen selling fine foods in the store front, with a "back room" filled with vats of human organs. Corporate "leaders" do business in the store front, but somehow get away with ignoring the back room.

The US "Hong Kong freedom and Democracy act" was signed by our El Presidente (yay), and will hopefully have an effect. Speaking of our El Presidente, I can now see how US policy is attempting to build some sort of bridge for China at their dead end road. This is the trade deal which demands reforms China must make, but also becomes the "poison pill" for the CCP . The bridge basically is a toll bridge, and communism will not be allowed to travel with China across the bridge. The choice of traveling across the bridge, or going over the cliff will be made by the CCP, but 'she' (the rest of China) is now "accountable":

"That's the best deal you're gonna get, I won't tell you you can save yourself, because you can't":
Either the CCP makes a trade deal and swallows the poison pill, or the whole county goes off the cliff.

My main problem with Apple is their "we care" schtick. Apple does not care about China's human rights abuses. It is legal to do business in China, so Apple does business there. An honest slogan would be: "We do business where it is legal (at least we're not sneaking into Iran)."

Re Canada: This is a master play by the USA. The US requesting detention at YVR was a great way to get Canada "in the game" against China. Consider the detainee was scheduled to board a flight to Mexico. Question: What country is between Canada and Mexico? Bingo! The USA! The flight enters US airspace. If we wanted to detain a person on that flight we could have just ordered the flight to land at any US airport where US marshals were waiting to detain her. But then her prosecution would have opened a can of worms for US foreign policy - who wants to let Iran have a trial in the USA (that's what it would devolve to)? Besides, the CCP will not allow her extradition - as I've said before she will take the poison pill and return to China in a box. If she was extradited to the US, she would cut a deal in exchange for information that will be damaging to the CCP. So the CCP will not allow this. The best part: She's actually Mao's daughter (sneaky guy), and the CCP will be forced to execute her.

Re Human 'animal' behavior: The US founders understood human nature and realized human propensity for evil. They realized the only real way to protect people from each other was to ensure they have the right to defend themselves. Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness only works if Life can be self defended. This was their design. All other law and order must be build on this basic tenant or it will fail.
If a government will not protect its citizen against an enemy, then the citizens have a right to do so themselves. The CCP is vulnerable in so many ways. Have fun.

Reactions: thevault
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.