Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
When I saw the thread title I wondered if the comments would be dominated with cloaked criticisms with a hefty hint of homophobia and I wasn’t disappointed. One in particular had an incredible 106 likes on it! Wow! Well I hope everybody is proud of that and if you ever wonder why someone like Tim Cook speaks publicly about his sexuality, this thread is a good example of why.

If his personal experiences inspire someone struggling with their sexuality and give them the courage to come out, it’s a job well done.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
When I saw the thread title I wondered if the comments would be dominated with cloaked criticisms with a hefty hint of homophobia and I wasn’t disappointed. One in particular had an incredible 106 likes on it! Wow! Well I hope everybody is proud of that and if you ever wonder why someone like Tim Cook speaks publicly about his sexuality, this thread is a good example of why.

If his personal experiences inspire someone struggling with their sexuality and give them the courage to come out, it’s a job well done.

This thread has also already had to be heavily modded because of it. you're lucky you didn't see it before hand! (thank you mods for dealing with the truly egregious hate)

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Fascinating stuff. Really. I mean it. I hope the CEO of Discount Tire will tell me how she or he feels about something equally relevant to the products I buy, like which flavor of ice cream they think is best, or maybe what music selections provide the right motivation for his or her Peloton sessions.
Everybody is entitled to their opinion. If the ceo of discount tire wants to discuss ice cream. Zei Gezunt.

Reactions: LordVic

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
Youre still more left than centre tho
Take a sheet of paper and draw a line down the middle. One the left side make a list of people who are too far left, politically. On the right side, list people who are too far to the right.

Try to alternate as you fill up the page, so that for each name on the left, you put the name of someone with roughly equivalent stature (i.e., don’t put Dylan Roof and AOC on the same line, assuming either is someone you wish to put on the list at all).

Whichever side gives you the most trouble coming up with names is most likely the side you are on.

Reactions: PickUrPoison

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
If what another poster here said is true, that Cook's days are numbered, I for one will not lament his departure. It's past time to move on and go back to what Apple was best known for -- Innovation and the Spirit of Invention.

I don't like Apple neglecting MacOS or the Mac, I don't like Apple's deformed software GUI, and more...
but truth to be told, Tim has done very well as a CEO. Apple was not doomed after Jobs, and its making more money than ever. He didn't run it to the ground, as has many other CEOs did to their companies.

Look at Yahoo...

Williesleg

Cancelled
Oct 28, 2014
Sculley. did not turn Apple into a Trillion Dollar company. Think whatever you want about Apple's products, but in terms of success, Tim has made Apple the most money. And in the world that we live in, money is most important

Tim didn't do jack ****, he's just treading water and selling services. All the hard work was done by Steve and crew.

Reactions: Huck

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011

Spot-on assessment. Now we know what really drives a lot of the hate that's been festering for years.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Taking nothing away from Williams’ capabilities and competence, you think he’s a visionary product inventor in the the Jobs/Musk mold? You might be the only one.

Dumping a proven rockstar CEO for a seemingly very qualified potential successor is decidedly not what a competent board has any interest in whatsoever.

Williams’ skills in product development are best utilized without loading him down with all the additional duties and responsibilities of a CEO.

Last edited:

Williesleg

Cancelled
Oct 28, 2014
Cool worked for Apple under Jobs too.
It amazes me how many people here think CEO’s design and develop products for market lol.

Obviously they provide an environment to change the world not just sell more iTunes crap and watch bands.
Heck, every time I go by the Apple store it's full of people bringing back broken crap to be fixed, not buy new stuff. That only works for so long.
I'll guarantee Tim Cooked is out on his ass within 5 years. But it'll be a golden ass as he won't be giving any of it away to his causes and problems in San Francisco.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Heck, every time I go by the Apple store it's full of people bringing back broken crap to be fixed, not buy new stuff. That only works for so long.
There are so many customers with many Apple products, things break. But I will say in my local Apple stores, one can see people walking out of the store with new product. So I don't buy that people don't buy product in the store as a general rule.
I'll guarantee Tim Cooked is out on his ass within 5 years. But it'll be a golden ass as he won't be giving any of it away to his causes and problems in San Francisco.
I think Tim will be out of Apple in 5 years, but not on his "ass". He will appoint a successor and have an orderly transition and yes, leave Apple rich. It's Cooks' stated goal to give away most of his wealth, but it is not written anywhere it has to be put in one bucket to the city of San Francisco.

Reactions: tookitogo

TracesOfArsenic

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2018
Why would that be exciting may I ask?
Sure thing! It's all about me and my history of enjoying (and often championing) Apple products. It might see a change in the company that gets me excited again about the products it puts out.

I haven't been excited about Apple hardware or software for several years now, for me personally it's been missing the mark too much (software quality has declined, hardware faults have been ignored etc).

Admittedly, a change in leadership could go even further in the direction I'm already not loving but the possibility excites me because I can't see them changing course with Cook at the helm.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
I know Tim is being associated with lack of innovation in this thread, but how do we know Steve would’ve innovated with a mature smartphone market? I mean, he didn’t want a phone more than 4 inches for crying out loud. Remember when he introduced the same iMac for 3 straight years in different colors?

I think people are underestimating how big this AR stuff will be. Let’s see what happens later in 2020.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
I know Tim is being associated with lack of innovation in this thread, but how do we know Steve would’ve innovated with a mature smartphone market? I mean, he didn’t want a phone more than 4 inches for crying out loud. Remember when he introduced the same iMac for 3 straight years in different colors?

I think people are underestimating how big this AR stuff will be. Let’s see what happens later in 2020.

Excellent post. I believe Apple would be about where it is today if SJ were still leading Apple. Computers and smartphones are pretty much mature.

AR, on the other hand, has huge potential in how people will access and engage information, and, go about their lives. Apple has been investing heavily in AR for years now. Stay tuned.

Reactions: tookitogo

Feyl

Cancelled
Aug 24, 2013
Maybe he did talk about it and they edited it out, who knows? It was an interview in People, they’re going to ask the questions they want and print what they want.

When Cook was interviewed by CNBC (Jan 2019, May 2019), Time (April 2019), Stern (Oct 2019), CBS (June 2019), Axios (Nov 2018), Tech Crunch (May 2019), ABC (May 2019), NPR (Feb 2019), PBS (Oct 2018), BILD (Oct 2019), Reuters (Nov 2018) he talked about Apple plenty. (Those interviews are all within the last year.)
How many of them were actually about tech and not about iPhone batteries or sales?
[automerge]1572376180[/automerge]
Excellent post. I believe Apple would be about where it is today if SJ were still leading Apple. Computers and smartphones are pretty much mature.

AR, on the other hand, has huge potential in how people will access and engage information, and, go about their lives. Apple has been investing heavily in AR for years now. Stay tuned.
I don’t understand why people say this all the time. I think mature in this context means a lack of imagination. Who would’ve thought that Apple could completely change the game in 2007 with the mighty iPhone. Phones were "mature" at that time too, right?

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
How many of them were actually about tech and not about iPhone batteries or sales?
[automerge]1572376180[/automerge]

I don’t understand why people say this all the time. I think mature in this context means a lack of imagination. Who would’ve thought that Apple could completely change the game in 2007 with the mighty iPhone. Phones were "mature" at that time too, right?
Mature could mean running at full tilt And getting the job done efficiently and effectively.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.