Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nollimac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 10, 2013
So, I have the extreme tower and had been using it as one names two frequencies, 2.4 and 5ghzs; however, I bought a wireless camera (Hikvision) that only work on the 2.4 frequency. So, I had to separate and name them differently; however, in doing so, I cannot hide the network as before...whenever I hide, none of the devices (all Apple, such as MacBook Pro, iPhone, iPad, and AppleTV) cannot find the 5ghzs. Only when broadcasting does it enables connection to the 5Ghzs...doesn't make sense. Also, separating the frequencies tends to create another problem...the 2.4Ghzs drowns out my guess network that is a separate device because of the ability to not have the guest feature on the extreme tower hidden.

The 5th generation extreme (don't have it anymore) can do what I wanted without issues...so, is this how the extreme tower roll?

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
So, I have the extreme tower and had been using it as one names two frequencies, 2.4 and 5ghzs; however, I bought a wireless camera (Hikvision) that only work on the 2.4 frequency. So, I had to separate and name them differently; however, in doing so, I cannot hide the network as before...whenever I hide, none of the devices (all Apple, such as MacBook Pro, iPhone, iPad, and AppleTV) cannot find the 5ghzs. Only when broadcasting does it enables connection to the 5Ghzs...doesn't make sense. Also, separating the frequencies tends to create another problem...the 2.4Ghzs drowns out my guess network that is a separate device because of the ability to not have the guest feature on the extreme tower hidden.

The 5th generation extreme (don't have it anymore) can do what I wanted without issues...so, is this how the extreme tower roll?
I’m a bit confused because when I used an all extreme setup I had both frequencies on the same name, and I had many devices that only worked on 2.4, and it worked fine. The devices that only work on 2.4 only see 2.4, so there is no need to create a separate network for them.

nollimac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 10, 2013
I’m a bit confused because when I used an all extreme setup I had both frequencies on the same name, and I had many devices that only worked on 2.4, and it worked fine. The devices that only work on 2.4 only see 2.4, so there is no need to create a separate network for them.

Well, I separated the frequencies just to be sure that the camera will see the 2.4ghzs differently as with the one name I wasn't sure what the camera was seeing since it wouldn't join the network. I contacted Hikvision's support and awaiting live response. Still, why one couldn't hide the SSID?

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Well, I separated the frequencies just to be sure that the camera will see the 2.4ghzs differently as with the one name I wasn't sure what the camera was seeing since it wouldn't join the network. I contacted Hikvision's support and awaiting live response.
Hmm. That’s weird. If the device can only work on 2.4GHz then it shouldn’t even see the 5GHz network. I recently switched away from airports, but when I was using them I had at least a dozen devices (cameras, thermostats, etc.) on the network that only worked with 2.4GHz, and it was fine.

nollimac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 10, 2013
Hmm. That’s weird. If the device can only work on 2.4GHz then it shouldn’t even see the 5GHz network. I recently switched away from airports, but when I was using them I had at least a dozen devices (cameras, thermostats, etc.) on the network that only worked with 2.4GHz, and it was fine.

I agree...the camera specifically states not compatible with 5Ghzs but didn't mentioned whether it cannot see 5Ghzs. All my other Hikvision cameras are wired connected...the location where the wireless will be cannot connect by wire.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.