Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kung gu

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 20, 2018
Set trackpad options in Windows with Boot Camp on Mac - Apple Support

make sure to update bootcamp in windows first though.

Trackpad always sucked on bootcamp/windows cause of lack of proper drivers. Apple finally adds support.

the trackpad is great to use on macOS on my 16", now its great on Windows too.

Check if your Mac supports precision touchpad settings​

1. In Windows on your Mac, click the Start menu, then choose Settings.
  2. In the Settings window, click Devices, then click Touchpad.
  3. If “Your PC has a precision touchpad” appears at the top of the Touchpad pane, you can set precision touchpad options using Windows.
    If “Your PC has a precision touchpad” doesn’t appear at the top of the Touchpad pane, your Mac either doesn’t support the Microsoft precision touchpad drivers, or you don’t have the latest Boot Camp support software installed. Use Boot Camp Control Panel to set the trackpad options instead.
To learn how to install the latest Boot Camp support software, see Update Apple software in Windows using Boot Camp on Mac.

Reactions: Sema

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
Set trackpad options in Windows with Boot Camp on Mac - Apple Support

make sure to update bootcamp in windows first though.

Trackpad always sucked on bootcamp/windows cause of lack of proper drivers. Apple finally adds support.

the trackpad is great to use on macOS on my 16", now its great on Windows too.

Check if your Mac supports precision touchpad settings​

1. In Windows on your Mac, click the Start menu, then choose Settings.
  2. In the Settings window, click Devices, then click Touchpad.
  3. If “Your PC has a precision touchpad” appears at the top of the Touchpad pane, you can set precision touchpad options using Windows.
    If “Your PC has a precision touchpad” doesn’t appear at the top of the Touchpad pane, your Mac either doesn’t support the Microsoft precision touchpad drivers, or you don’t have the latest Boot Camp support software installed. Use Boot Camp Control Panel to set the trackpad options instead.
To learn how to install the latest Boot Camp support software, see Update Apple software in Windows using Boot Camp on Mac.
Too late. After several years with poor touchpad controls, Apple finally adds proper support when its newest computers will not even run Windows anymore. Kind of ironic.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
I'm glad they did this, but it seems really weird given how fast they are pivoting away from Intel Macs (that can run Windows).

It's like fixing up furniture for a girlfriend who you've broken up with and asked to move out ASAP.

prism

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2006
Does anybody know if they also improved the power management? I heard it has always been dismal with the processor stuck at its most inefficient state without any possibility to alter that state.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Does anybody know if they also improved the power management? I heard it has always been dismal with the processor stuck at its most inefficient state without any possibility to alter that state.
I haven't heard of that, but for Macs with dGPUs, bootcamp lacks switchable graphics. That means the high power GPU is always active, and that dents battery life noticeably. There's no kosher way of changing that unfortunately.

prism

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2006
I haven't heard of that, but for Macs with dGPUs, bootcamp lacks switchable graphics. That means the high power GPU is always active, and that dents battery life noticeably. There's no kosher way of changing that unfortunately.
Thanks, I think I read somewhere that the “deep sleep” state of newer gen cpus cannot be accessed through bootcamp.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.