Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robertosh

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 2, 2011
Switzerland
I'm really annoyed. I don't want to update (kill) my iPhone 6 with to iOS11 (I've tried it and went back luckily) and I am receiving EVERY DAY a annoying popup suggesting me to update. This popup is not a Yes/No, its a "Remind me later" and after that you have to tap again a little link to dismiss the update for a few hours. Also, the update is WASTING 1.3G of MY storage. I can remove it, but after few days the update is auto-downloaded again. And I won't talk about the permanent red balloon on the settings app.

I'm really sad to see in what Apple has become.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
I'm really annoyed. I don't want to update (kill) my iPhone 6 with to iOS11 (I've tried it and went back luckily) and I am receiving EVERY DAY a annoying popup suggesting me to update. This popup is not a Yes/No, its a "Remind me later" and after that you have to tap again a little link to dismiss the update for a few hours. Also, the update is WASTING 1.3G of MY storage. I can remove it, but after few days the update is auto-downloaded again. And I won't talk about the permanent red balloon on the settings app.

I wouldn't say that's Apple "forcing you to update". It's more like they're forcing you to put up with a few nags to avoid the important security updates they provide for their devices. I can't imagine it's as big a deal as some people are making it out to be. Certainly didn't warrant a new thread on top of the others but I'm no mod.

Reactions: Yun0 and KGB7

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
Beaten to it. What he said ^^. Put the tvOS profile on my wifes new iPad mini (got it at Best Buy in late Oct and still had 10.3.2 on it) to keep it on iOS 10 as long as we can since it's significantly less buggy and smoother than 11, especially on A7/A8 devices.

Reactions: g-7 and pacorob

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
Delete the ios 11 download in Settings -> General -> Storage and Icloud Usage -> (Storage) Manage Storage

That will stop the pop-ups until your phone downloads the ios update again while plugged in charging and connected to Wifi. (which happens to me maybe once a week)

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
This is what Apple has always done - why are people surprised and why don't they search forums before posting another and another of the same topics

Reactions: Yun0 and KGB7

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Indeed the suggestions (although annoying that we have to look for such things) are following the steps which are mentioned in the ''How to Completely Disable OTA Updates on iPhone or iPad" when you Google it.
I do get that for security reasons updating to the latest version can be good as far as security is concerned if there are serious bugs in an older version, however especially now with iOS11 Apple has seriously crippled a lot of things:

- no longer a 2 column widget view on iPad, you have to scroll to see them all
- no longer the option to fully turn off WIFI or Bluetooth within Control Center directly
- no longer allowed to use URL schemes for Apple's Settings app or various Apple apps to quickly launch things (see Launcher topic and this one). I know the new Control Center has some options now which iOS10 and before didn't have but it still lacks quite a few things. You can't go quickly to Settings such as 'Refresh in background', 'Location use per app', 'Notifications on apps' 'x amount of MB/GB Storage per app', Battery status (x hour of usage/standby) and Storage maintenance that are unfortunately missing in the list of options to see in the new Control Center and you can also no longer launch other various Apple apps.

It's also so odd that in iOS11 you no longer can turn off WIFI and Bluetooth within Control Center see this.

Aside of updating to a newer iOS version could really slow down older iDevices such an iPhone 5s, iPad mini2.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/how-can-you-turn-off-the-ios-needs-an-update-message.2090604/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/how-to-stop-automatic-ios-11-installation.2074189/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/how-to-cancel-the-ios-update-badge-in-the-setting-app.2080195/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/forcing-an-update.2078090/

Reactions: Yun0 and jhall8

aKansasKid

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2015
My iOS 10.3.3 iPhone 6 has dowloaded iOS 11, and used to have the big red "1" on the settings icon on the home page, but no longer. I don't see the "1" until I enter Settings itself. And it's quit reminding me. But, I've been switching phones a few times recently, so if it is still reminding me, it's infrequent. Hard to say it's a major annoyance, though.

robertosh

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 2, 2011
Switzerland

It doesn’t work. After a few days it comes back.
[doublepost=1512087562][/doublepost]
Delete the ios 11 download in Settings -> General -> Storage and Icloud Usage -> (Storage) Manage Storage

That will stop the pop-ups until your phone downloads the ios update again while plugged in charging and connected to Wifi. (which happens to me maybe once a week)

Well I do it everyday cause of the iCloud backup, so it’s very annoying

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It doesn’t work. After a few days it comes back.
[doublepost=1512087562][/doublepost]

Well I do it everyday cause of the iCloud backup, so it’s very annoying
Did you follow what's been suggested about deleting it and installing the tvOS profile?

Reactions: g-7 and pacorob

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
Did you follow what's been suggested about deleting it and installing the tvOS profile?

That is method not supported by Apple. That is one small step away from telling a user they should jailbreak or root their device to make it work. Not nice for a device that should be more user friendly.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
That is method not supported by Apple. That is one small step away from telling a user they should jailbreak or root their device to make it work. Not nice for a device that should be more user friendly.
Does "not nice" help the user in any way?

Installing an Apple profile is perfectly supported and safe, and doesn't do anything at all in this case aside from getting the device not to find compatible updates. Nothing complex about it or changes anything else about the device.

But you know all that.

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
How dare Apple “force” an update with security issues patched and new features? /s

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me"

Most people believe iOS updates have a possibility of issues because of their experience in the past.

The security fixes and new features aren't the problem. It is the quality of the software, the bugs, the rush to release updates before all the beta issues are fixed.

While a iPad and iPad can't replace a MacBook, people still use their iPhone/iPad for work and having issues with iOS updates is the last thing they need when they don't have a computer or other device to use. They depend on their iphone/iPads working.

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me"

Most people believe iOS updates have a possibility of issues because of their experience in the past.

The security fixes and new features aren't the problem. It is the quality of the software, the bugs, the rush to release updates before all the beta issues are fixed.

While a iPad and iPad can't replace a MacBook, people still use their iPhone/iPad for work and having issues with iOS updates is the last thing they need when they don't have a computer or other device to use. They depend on their iphone/iPads working.
Which is one reason why the nagging about updates and making it very easy to "accidentally" update is a problem.

Similar to Windows 10. People lost ability to run programs they needed.

That auto download of the iOS updates was such a **** move. which brought no benefit to the user. (Please, share your reason why the user benefited from this)

Reactions: FeliApple

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
I was on iOS 8 on an iPhone 6 until recently.. I REALLY didn't want to upgrade (every iOS upgrade I've tried has resulted in the device being significantly slower, over time) but I pretty much had to. App after app stopped fetching data unless I upgraded, and I couldn't upgrade the app without upgrading iOS to 9 at least. Tried to get iOS 9 to install and it kept failing, so finally opted for 11.

In my experience, it's been an entirely positive experience (for someone coming from 8 anyway). No noticeable performance difference or major bugs yet.

I'd rather have had a choice, but that's not really going to happen. If Apple update iOS, then the app makers have to update their apps (generally). If they update their apps, they won't want to support lots of app versions connecting to their servers, so they limit it to recent app versions only. So users end up having the choice of apps stopping working, or upgrading their iOS.

iphonehype

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2012

Hey bro your iPhone is 4 years old, so it may not run as fast as the latest OS. iOS 10 has all the latest things for security which is important. If I was Apple i'd be pushing it to keep you secure.

On the other hand. You can blame Apple for....slowing down your iPhone as people do? But what do expect it to be the same speed as Apples latest iPhone X on the same OS?

My 2013 Ford car is not going to be quick as your 2016/7 Ford card even though they are both 2 liters, petrol and auto. Your is newer and fine - tuned. Get it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.