Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple on December 14 is holding an open house event at Apple Park for Cupertino residents who live near the campus, and has been sending out invites via email to those who are eligible to attend.

The open house takes place from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., and requires attendees to RSVP by December 11. Apple says that it is supporting Toys for Tots, and asks those interested in participating to bring along a toy.

appleparkopenhouse.jpg
Image via Eddie Kuo

Potential attendees need to fill out a registration form and attendance is confirmed on a first come, first serve basis until capacity is reached.

Each household that receives an invitation can register up to four people in total, and households will be assigned a specific arrival time. Apple says that light snacks and beverages will be served, and the company recommends comfortable outdoor shoes.

Attendees will be able to take photos of exterior spaces at Apple Park, but not interior spaces or inside buildings.

Apple has previously invited nearby Cupertino residents to visit its Apple Park campus when the Apple Park Visitor Center opened up in November 2017.

Article Link: Apple Holding Apple Park Open House for Cupertino Residents, Collecting Toys for Kids

jeffkoontz

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2017
USA
I guess it's a decent way to allow the truly curious citizens access to the campus in exchange for a charitable deed, but I also cant help but think that the grand total of all toys collected, would not even be a rounding error on AAPL's financials.

meaning-matters

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2013
This is a great event that kids will remember.

(I still remember the open day of the European Space Agency department in my village.)

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
I would go just to see what it’s like just inside. I visited San Jose and was only able to access the visitor center.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I guess it's a decent way to allow the truly curious citizens access to the campus in exchange for a charitable deed, but I also cant help but think that the grand total of all toys collected, would not even be a rounding error on AAPL's financials.
Yeah why should any company support charitable giving for its employees (or the community) when it’s just a rounding error on their financials.

Puppuccino

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2019
United Kingdom
It's a dream of mine that one day a multi billion dollar company like Apple will just donate out of their back pocket rather than asking for donations from others.

They have the cash, and are likely not doing anything with it, yet their asking others to donate. Apple could buy new and used toys and their accounting team would barely notice.

If I was a resident, I wouldn't be impressed.

Reactions: Breezygirl

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
It's a dream of mine that one day a multi billion dollar company like Apple will just donate out of their back pocket rather than asking for donations from others.

They have the cash, and are likely not doing anything with it, yet their asking others to donate. Apple could buy new and used toys and their accounting team would barely notice.

You may not be aware Apple makes corporate donations to a variety of organizations.

That Apple inspires others in the neighborhood to donate as well is a plus.

toph2toast

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011

Yea, I think you are missing the point. A quick google search will show you that Apple matches employee donations dollar for dollar up to $10k per employee and they donated $125 million in 2018. Also, the average person can't just walk into Apple Park, so this is charity/community relations thing... donate a toy and you can take a look at the huge facility we built in your area.

Reactions: CarlJ and citysnaps

m4mario

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2017
San Francisco Bay Area

The toys are not the point of it. It is about coming together as a community that Gives. It is about showing the neighborhood, the experience of giving. Apple is a Public company and can't donate Share holder money at will(though they still donate considerably for a public company). They just cant give away all of the share holder's money. That would be illegal and unethical. Apple employees and shareholders though, they can donate how much ever they want. Apple as a public company can encourage that. For example, Tim Cook plans to give away most of his fortune. Thats what Apple as a company wants to inspire. Thats what they can do.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...y-all-his-money-fortune-idUSKBN0MM2YM20150326

Reactions: zooby and matrix07

BGPL

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2016
California
As someone who works for a large organization which does the "open house" type thing, it's extremely labor intensive and costly. The benefits to the organization drawn from the open house and charity are small compared to the time and cost put forth, in this case by Apple.

Apple gives away a bunch of money, deal with it. Is it marketing and a tax benefit? Yeah, but it's puts them in the red at the end of the day so it's not a financial win. If every corporation with positive earnings gave something, anything, just annually, our world would be unrecognizable in ten years.

Reactions: spotlight07

zooby

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2008
You guys have seriously never heard of a gift drive before? The CTV network has been having an annual gift drive in my city for decades, and you don't even get to tour their studios.
The ability here to find negativity in absolutely anything is staggering.

Only someone unhappy and negative would spin a charitable drive into something negative.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
and how do they know the right email addresses for all the local residents?

a tad creepy if you ask me, but still a nice thing to do
I guess it being something like creepy or not would depend on the answer to that initial question.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.