Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

subaiku

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 28, 2013
Hi, so today I suddenly got this alert on my iphone and macbook. When I try to unlock it following apple's instructions, I get led to a page where it either asks to answer security questions (which I don't remember anymore) or to send an unlock email. Problem is the unlock email is the apple email I use for my icloud, which I can't access!

So what can I do in this situation?

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
...and to confirm, this is not a phishing type email or something, is it?
My suggestion would be to contact Apple Support, and resolve it that way.

Hi, so today I suddenly got this alert on my iphone and macbook. When I try to unlock it following apple's instructions, I get led to a page where it either asks to answer security questions (which I don't remember anymore) or to send an unlock email. Problem is the unlock email is the apple email I use for my icloud, which I can't access!

So what can I do in this situation?

Reactions: subaiku

subaiku

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 28, 2013
Duh, why didn't I think of that? No, it wasn't a phishing attempt. Anyways, somehow manage to remember my security questions. All good now. Still, I'm curious as to how people unlock their account if they use the email that's used for their apple id emails?

Thanks anyways @ivanwi11iams!

Reactions: circatee

cdcastillo

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
The cesspit of civilization
...I'm curious as to how people unlock their account if they use the email that's used for their apple id emails? ...

People write down the security questions and answers along with the password. Otherwise you may want to get another email (not an icloud one) for recovery purposes.

In my particular case, I have the security questions and answers stored in 1Password, this way the answers can be gibberish, increasing the security (by augmenting the entropy) of these questions. E.g., my grandmothers maiden name is something like q3r08divlhka.srtisdsekgrt9%"fsdthv/"?fisdfg

subaiku

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 28, 2013
People write down the security questions and answers along with the password. Otherwise you may want to get another email (not an icloud one) for recovery purposes.

In my particular case, I have the security questions and answers stored in 1Password, this way the answers can be gibberish, increasing the security (by augmenting the entropy) of these questions. E.g., my grandmothers maiden name is something like q3r08divlhka.srtisdsekgrt9%"fsdthv/"?fisdfg

Thanks for the 1password suggestion, will look into it! ??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.