Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I also experience weird, annoying pop sounds when playing sounds from multiple sources at the same time, on my MacBook Pro 13'' 2019. I hope they can fix it through software update.

I believe the beta is allegedly supposed to be addressing this. I would expect a ‘full patch’ within two weeks or less.

• Love
Reactions: Konigi

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
As an Electrical and Computer Engineer, we just know it is simply not possible to release a product in this scope without bugs and issues, especially if it is not prototyped to perfection. Finding all the design issues and mitigate them before release is just impossible.

I worked in Aerospace hardware/software for 35 years. If we had this "oh well" attitude airplanes/satellites/missles/etc. would fall out of the sky. Poor excuse...especially for such a cash rich company.

dmstasinos

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2019
No one is saying it should be left defective. Far from it.

Interesting that so few have posted to confirm this, you’d think there would be dozens or hundreds of reports here by now. In this and the main thread about the popping issue in the MacBook Pro forum, there are all of three or four.

I expected Apple to introduce a patch for both OS versions, Mojave and Catalina since many users (including me) can't jump to Catalina yet. Too many bugs there and especially for older machines. I usually make the transition to a new OS, 6 months after it's official release. In Mojave's case even that wasn't enough. It got stable only after 10.14.4 on my iMac 5K 2015.

But it seems that this is all we can get. I guess some one will come up with a terminal script soon. It has happened before with AntiPop.

dmstasinos

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2019
I worked in Aerospace hardware/software for 35 years. If we had this "oh well" attitude airplanes/satellites/missles/etc. would fall out of the sky. Poor excuse...especially for such a cash rich company.

Yep. People don’t realise that they are already paying for perfection at this price.

Maybe “perfection” is not the right typification here cause it’s kinda abstract. I would say “fully functional”. At least inside the Mac OS native ecosystem which includes Apple’s software. Final Cut and Logic for example have to be 100% functional on a brand new machine.

There is no such thing as “waiting 6 months for a patch” in pro work. And i am not talking strictly about the popping here, there are some serious bugs migrating from one OS to another. My iMac 5K for example had bluetooth connectivity issues after the Sierra update which where resolved after almost 2 years!

From what i am reading here some people are suggesting that the average consumer owes to be a Beta tester too. This is until one of these machines becomes a critical part of your work. Believe me, when this happens you will want to reconsider.

Last edited:

DeadSeaMac

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2013
There sounds like it's a pulse that's ticking the sound card with some sort of splat on the "keep awake". It certainly seems software related.

[automerge]1575669811[/automerge]

Catalina Bluetooth is a complete dumpster fire. I'm having to reboot every few days for a third-party keyboard. Same make and model is flawless under 10.14.

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
Unless Louis Rossman sneaked into your house late one night while you were sleeping with his microscope/SMT rework station and replaced a bad part in the audio circuit, I’m going to guess it was caused by a software bug ?
I feel like it was a mechanical issue (at least for me). The sound came from under the palmrest and sounded akin to a material separating.

Reactions: PickUrPoison

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2016
You guys can delay launches. We can’t. tictok. If iPhone 11 doesn’t get out this year, iPhone 12 will still come out next year, and no one will buy iPhone 11 2 month before iPhone 12 release date at full price.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
You would of thought a premium $3k computer with all their Beta testers would of caught this issue. Oh, I forgot the end users are the Beta testers.:rolleyes:

Timmy's Apple.o_O
Things get past people. Kinda like “would of” instead of “would have” got past you. Twice. ?

Reactions: coot and citysnaps

sarge

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2003
Brooklyn

Boeing's reputation has taken a dive thanks to the upper management laissez faire attitude w/respect to the 737 MAX. Thankfully nobody's life is in danger here...then again, I hear the pilots are carrying the manuals on iPads now so you never know.

ddtmm

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
Why does it seem like everything they release these days is embarrassingly laden with problems? From huge bugs in iOS13 and Catalina, massive keyboard problems with the MBPs, and this... Apple can't seem to do anything right these days. These are all the indications of a company that has let their standards slip a long way. At least they reverted to a working keyboard.

Peperino

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2016
Apple releases a universally acclaimed new MacBook Pro with a huge battery, massive performance boost, radically improved keyboard, and surprise surprise, some people are still not happy.

New Macbook Pro?
WHat is soo new about it? Going back to an older keyboard design? Bringing back the physical escape key?
It is quite hilarious you mentioned "radically improved keyboard" when it is an older keyboard design that Apple failed to fix for over 4 years...
YEs, We are not happy, when we suppose to pay almost 3k and you can NOT upgrade neither the RAM nor the SSD and upgrading the battery is a pain in the back...
PLease enlighten us how delivering a MBP with all soldered components is soooo good?

emdub

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2005
Sintra, Portugal
My 2016 MBP has been happily snapping, crackling and popping since I bought it. Although mine sounds more like the aluminium heating up and snapping into place than the speakers. Replaced one keyboard thus far and still pops.

michaelsviews

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2007
New England
3 years of bad keyboards. Now its crackling speakers. Please let the 2015 15" appear in the Refurbished group. Quality control has no place at Apple. With all those engineers, architects, programmers and still release buggy software and hardware that just doesn't work.

Reactions: hajime

Cancelled
Jun 8, 2017
My 2019 MacBook Pro running Mojave does this, so it's by no means limited to the 2016 model (or Catalina).

ThankYouRob

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2016
Minneapolis, MN
Honestly, I noticed this when I first got my 16" MBP. This weekend, however, I was doing a lot of work in FCPX and the popping was driving me nuts...thankfully theres a fix in the works!

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
3 years of bad keyboards. Now its crackling speakers. Please let the 2015 15" appear in the Refurbished group. Quality control has no place at Apple. With all those engineers, architects, programmers and still release buggy software and hardware that just doesn't work.

I returned the MBP 16" and now I am typing this on my MBP 17" 2010. Love the old machine!
[automerge]1575939415[/automerge]
The T2 chip is the biggest failure since the butterfly keyboard

Not going to buy any Mac at least until the T2 or whatever security chip after it is removed.

Reactions: g75d3
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.