Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California
It happens on my 16" MBP with YouTube videos and other online audio and video. Doesn't happen with the Music or Podcasts app. I remember people talking about this happening on previous models, but I never noticed it on any Mac until now. I don't use the on-board speakers that often, but I hope this is fixed. Based on what beta testers are saying, it sounds like it has been. I know there's a general perception here that anyone who complains about anything on an Apple product is just a "hater" who needs to shut up, but the fact is that these issues don't get fixed unless enough people bring them to Apple's attention. This is being addressed because people reported the issue. There does need to be enough noise made about these issues otherwise companies may not know about them or may not bother to fix them. If the issue is software-related, Apple will acknowledge the problem and there will be a solution.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I know there's a general perception here that anyone who complains about anything on an Apple product is just a "hater" who needs to shut up, but the fact is that these issues don't get fixed unless enough people bring them to Apple's attention. This is being addressed because people reported the issue. There does need to be enough noise made about these issues otherwise companies may not know about them or may not bother to fix them. If the issue is software-related, Apple will acknowledge the problem and there will be a solution.

Spot on - I wish more people realized this.

"Ignoring issues" and "keeping quiet and adapting" are not helpful solutions at all.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
If I might ask you... do you think it reasonable to declare the butterfly keyboard as defective as per this definition: Defective: having a defect or flaw : imperfect in form, structure or function. I find it rather obvious that Apple feels like it is as they created the Keyboard Service Program. I am not saying and have never said that the butterfly is a 100% fail, only that it fails at a higher than expected rate. Pretty reasonable assertion don't you think?
By that definition all computers are defective. The butterfly definitely had higher failure rates than it should, that the whole reason Apple created the service program. They were quite clear about it, though some constantly declared Apple wouldn’t dump it because they would be “admitting it was flawed”.

Apple has determined that a small percentage of the keyboards in certain MacBook, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro models may exhibit one or more of the following behaviors:
  • Letters or characters repeat unexpectedly
  • Letters or characters do not appear
  • Key(s) feel "sticky" or do not respond in a consistent manner

Last edited by a moderator:

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
If that’s the only complaint and it’s something with a software fix, it’s silly to return
That is debatable. If it really bothers the user, there is no harm in returning it. If the issue ever gets corrected, they can always purchase it again.

it’s something with a software fix
People are reporting that this issue has been around for a while on other MBPs and have yet to be fixed with a software solution.

Including the person that you quoted:
I have this exact same issue on a 2019 15" Core i9 machine and even on the latest version of Mojave, the issue is still present for me.

@Mythlin is still waiting for a software fix on a older MBP that may never come.

Returning something while one is still able to is not silly at all, it can always be purchased again. Holding onto an expensive device with a problem that bothers the user with the hope that there might be a fix coming could be considered a little silly.

Besides, I personally wouldn't rely or count on on Apple's software fixes to problems in the short term, at least not lately. My iOS 13 mail is still screwed up.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Besides, I personally wouldn't rely or count on on Apple's software fixes to problems in the short term, at least not lately. My iOS 13 mail is still screwed up.

Me either - half the time it seem like fixes eventually come along but then simultaneously introduce new problems.

kemal

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2001
Nebraska
Apple must think this is pretty serious. They are actually trying to fix it.

My money is on the blocking capacitors before the speakers being wrongly spec'ed.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Lets hope Apple will provide this fix for Mojave as well and will not force the users to run Catalina

Don't these machines come with Catalina installed? If you choose to downgrade, you're on your own, I say.
[automerge]1575757812[/automerge]
Why was it silly?

If the user was unhappy with the quality of the product they bought, it makes sense to return it while they still can.

Because this not a design flaw with the hardware (apparently), and this issue will be fixed in software (apparently). So returning the hardware solves nothing. I think that's what he meant.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Because this not a design flaw with the hardware (apparently), and this issue will be fixed in software (apparently). So returning the hardware solves nothing. I think that's what he meant.

check out this post:
That is debatable. If it really bothers the user, there is no harm in returning it. If the issue ever gets corrected, they can always purchase it again.

People are reporting that this issue has been around for a while on other MBPs and have yet to be fixed with a software solution.

Including the person that you quoted:

@Mythlin is still waiting for a software fix on a older MBP that may never come.

Returning something while one is still able to is not silly at all, it can always be purchased again. Holding onto an expensive device with a problem that bothers the user with the hope that there might be a fix coming could be considered a little silly.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
WOW!

You state the obvious, parts do in fact fail, all the time. However, SOME fail at a higher rate than what is considered the norm and the butterfly keyboards fit this description. I'm typing on one right now, unlike some I don't mind its feel and generally enjoy the experience but facts are they fail at a greater than average rate, GET OVER IT!

Apple would not have implemented the Keyboard Service Program unless the butterfly keyboards were failing at a greater than average rate, simple as that, GET OVER IT!

Are you seriously going to imply that my keyboard is the SINGLE failure? How many single anecdotal failures do you need to hear about before you will acknowledge a greater than average failure rate? Apple acknowledged this, why can't you?

I am not upset at all, I like Apple products, I own many of them, I am disappointed that this keyboard didn't live up to expectations that I have for Apple products and that I was unlucky enough to experience 2 failures. We already know you do not actually read posts that challenge your blind allegiance but if you read my initial post in the keyboard thread it stated:

I am very happy for those that like the butterfly and never had a problem but please stop making those of us who have experienced failures out to be drama queens.

Continuing to deny that the butterfly keyboards fail at a higher than average rate is ridiculous, again if it didn't fail at a higher than average rate Apple would never have created the Keyboard Service Program. I am very sure some users have experienced screen failures... does Apple have a 4 year Screen Service Program for every single Macbook/MacBook Air/MacBook Pro??? No they don't, why don't they? Because the screens fail at an expected, average rate. GET OVER IT!
Unless you know the rate, let's agree to be serious and not speculate. Apple is yet again taking care of their customers and continues to sell the butterfly keyboard. That's where we are.

Apple never acknowledged a "greater than average failure rate."

I also never said the keyboards aren't experiencing a higher rate than they want in an ideal world. I am saying the rate is evidently acceptable enough to not take any drastic action AND allows them to continue selling them as is.

You people calling it an inherent design flaw, serious defect, and acting like the sell every MacBook with a broken keyboard are creating unnecessary drama and false accusations.
[automerge]1575762801[/automerge]
For sure... And a super big helping of aggrandized anger to go with it is always a nice touch. Lets people know one means business. The sad state of the internet today.

Going on year three with my 2017 MBP. Zero issues, a joy to use. And I like the keyboard - increased accuracy and typing speed.
You can't like the keyboard. It has serious design flaws and is defective.

UnbreakableAlex

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2019
This year will go down in history as apples most buggiest year. How about testing your hard and software before releasing it? Oh, and how about paying taxes like you should.

Lalatoon

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2019
I would be very pissed paying a premium price and having this issue out of the box. Luckily it is a software issue and luckily I did not buy one :)

jlocker

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2011
Lake Michigan
I have used mine for 2 weeks on the internal speakers and on a optical connection and I have heard no popping. Love my 32gb with the 5500 8gb and 2 TB of storage.

Reactions: citysnaps

Digital Dude

macrumors 65816
Perhaps the criticism comes from some of us that have been around for a while. Apple used to be unique with exceptional quality, but that started to fade around the same time when the first iPhone came out. In recent years it's become more prevalent. I visited the Scottsdale Apple Store last week and I played with the 16-inch but I've grown skeptical.

I used to be a 'damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead' type a guy, and I considered myself pretty good at troubleshooting Apple products, but not anymore. I can't keep up with them.:(

Reactions: Queen6

jlocker

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2011
Lake Michigan
It it time for the Mac Pro, they did make it for fall.

Attachments

• FB639AB8-55D1-4F9B-A48C-44F571AB7C57.png
    FB639AB8-55D1-4F9B-A48C-44F571AB7C57.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 120

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
Interesting, my late 2016 MacBook Pro would do this. After a few years it has stopped though. Still don't know what caused that either.?

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Interesting, my late 2016 MacBook Pro would do this. After a few years it has stopped though. Still don't know what caused that either.?
Unless Louis Rossman sneaked into your house late one night while you were sleeping with his microscope/SMT rework station and replaced a bad part in the audio circuit, I’m going to guess it was caused by a software bug ?

insoft.uk

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2018
It’s an on going issue with Apple, even old MacBooks going back to 2006 still has pop issues never got fixed with software the screen issues with MacBook Air Late 2010 they did a firmware hack to sort it out, and I expect they just do the same this time a simple hack in software to prevent what ever is causing it but not exactly a fix as it will be hardware almost guarantee it but if a software hack and prevent it then guess that’s good enough after all if you look at old 80s computers like ZX80 and so on you see hardware hacks to the PCB so nothing really new but sound issues could of been easily been checked if Apple even bothered

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
You people calling it an inherent design flaw, serious defect, and acting like the sell every MacBook with a broken keyboard are creating unnecessary drama and false accusations.

100% not true, I challenge you to find my post that states "they sell every MacBook with a broken keyboard", you won't find it because it doesn't exist. I have stated that Apple continues to sell a keyboard with a HIGHER THAN AVERAGE FAILURE RATE, I have said nothing more. By my interpretation of the definition of "defective" this applies.

I also never said the keyboards aren't experiencing a higher rate than they want in an ideal world.

FINALLY! I never said the keyboard failed at 100%, 75%, 62%, etc, I only ever stated that they have a higher than average rate of failure, which necessitated the creation of the Keyboard Service Program. Apple knows this and FINALLY we have you on record as acknowledging that they do indeed fail at a higher rate than normal.

Moving on....

What does exist on this site, for the most part, are people chiming in on issues saying "yup, happened to me" or "nope, didn't happen to me".

What I find from you, now that I have chosen to look, are nonstop attempts to discredit individual accounts of issues as "anecdotal" and therefore meaningless. I even find from you attempts to do this BEFORE anyone else has even commented on a particular story, ex: THIS VERY THREAD and I quote:

Hey Macrumors, how many were impacted?

No, this isn't the death of Apple or the MacBook.

It's also not a referendum of quality control at Apple.

This post comes from you BEFORE anyone else even commented as to if they experienced the issue or not! Perhaps you should lower your tone to simple posts like: "Wow, sorry your keyboard failed twice, mine has performed well and I have no issues" which is really the only comment necessary.

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.