Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djr7572

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Lately, when using Apple Maps, for some reason the turn by turn voice commands are simply not present. The on-screen directions will continue as I drive, but there will be no voice. This doesn't happen every time, but it seems to be happening lately. It's like all of a sudden Siri just decides to be silent and not say anything while the on-screen directions continue. My volume is up, voice commands are enabled, so I know that's not the issue.

Thanks

djr7572

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
Have you tried killing the Apple maps app in the task manager then doing a hard reboot ?

A hard reset? And delete which settings? I'm always really hesitant to do a hard reset on my phone unless it's absolutely necessary.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
A hard reset? And delete which settings? I'm always really hesitant to do a hard reset on my phone unless it's absolutely necessary.
It's basically just turning off the phone and back on, just like any other electronic device/appliance, nothing really dangerous or anything like that.

djr7572

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
It's basically just turning off the phone and back on, just like any other electronic device/appliance, nothing really dangerous or anything like that.

Well, that's a soft reboot, which is no big deal. The other poster suggested a hard reset - which is what I was concerned about.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Well, that's a soft reboot, which is no big deal. The other poster suggested a hard reset - which is what I was concerned about.
Which is more or less the same, at least as far as it being any more or less dangerous essentially.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community

There are three things available to iPhone:

1) Turn it off using Power Button followed by screen swipe to right
2) Respring phone
3) Force reboot by depressing Power and Home button at same time until Apple appears on screen (this known as hard reboot)

Neither of 3 is dangerous nor can they harm the phone.
As far as closing running apps in task manager, that is perfectly safe also.

djr7572

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
There are three things available to iPhone:

1) Turn it off using Power Button followed by screen swipe to right
2) Respring phone
3) Force reboot by depressing Power and Home button at same time until Apple appears on screen (this known as hard reboot)

Neither of 3 is dangerous nor can they harm the phone.
As far as closing running apps in task manager, that is perfectly safe also.

I'll try a hard reboot next time I experience this issue.

Thanks

djr7572

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
UPDATE: Still having issues with this. Before I call AppleCare I thought I'd check here again to see if anyone has a theory on this.

Apple Maps - still only getting the audible turn-by-turn voice commands about 50% of the time. Looking at the screen, I can see that the visual turn-by-turn directions continue, but otherwise it's total silence. I'm perplexed - the volume is up, voice settings are on, etc. Trying to get somewhere without the audible directions is a lot harder since you're resigned to looking at the screen. Very frustrating.

I've tried the hard reboot. No help.

Thanks

djr7572

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
Is the volume limiter set by chance?

I don't see anything in Settings for a volume limiter ....

----------

Ok, this allows you to adjust the volume between low/normal/loud. I've always had it set to normal and it's never been an issue. It's set to normal and I just click the volume rockers up a bit if I need it a little louder.

I've never needed it to be set to high to hear it. The voice is just non-existent half the time.

As far as Bluetooth goes, I don't use it. My vehicle is a Ford. I didn't think Apple Maps needed Bluetooth to work .... :confused: Doesn't it just need data connectivity/carrier signal?

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Yes, but I've never needed it for Maps to work. I never use Bluetooth for anything .. I don't have a BT headset.

What they're getting at is perhaps your car's stereo is taking over the audio output without you knowing it. And then, if your stereo is off, you wouldn't hear anything.

Next time it happens turn off the phone's bluetooth to be sure this isn't the case.

I admit this is a long shot, but worth checking I suppose.

(Similarly, make sure you're not using a USB port in the car that can send audio to the car's speakers. I've done that before...when I plug into my adapter-charger everything's fine but then I accidentally use the built-in USB and wonder where my sound went. I'd suspect this over the bluetooth thing, actually, since it's happened to me more than once in the past.)

yaredna

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2010
Maps no voice frerquently

On my wife's iPhone 5 / iOS 7.1.1. As compared with my phone (same identical), mine is working fine. Hers give trouble with the following:
. Maps voice over usb
. MAps voice over bluetooth
. Audio / Music over bluetooth

Phone usually works well. I am losing my latin here, maybe i should reset all her data settings (she will need to reinstall everything )

t0talpkg

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2014
The reason is that the turn by turn voice commands turn off while your phone is charging, which is a straight-up defect if you ask me. I refuse to believe that's by design. If anyone from Apple is reading this, please fix this horrible oversight.

DeadAhead

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2017
Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Lately, when using Apple Maps, for some reason the turn by turn voice commands are simply not present. The on-screen directions will continue as I drive, but there will be no voice. This doesn't happen every time, but it seems to be happening lately. It's like all of a sudden Siri just decides to be silent and not say anything while the on-screen directions continue. My volume is up, voice commands are enabled, so I know that's not the issue.

Thanks
[doublepost=1504044410][/doublepost]In Settings there is a Maps setting for voice volume. On my Kia Sorento, with my iPhone 6S and the latest IOS, it seems to get reset to No Voice either when I turn off the car or disconnect from Apple Car Play/USB cable, say in the middle of stopping at some intermediate point to my programmed destination.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.