Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Volusia

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2016
Central Florida
Trying to set up a family plan that includes my adult son and his wife. Want them to have access to Apple Music, but do not other purchases to go through same family account (movies, apps, etc.).

Is there a way to set this up?

TIA

Wingzfan61

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2012
After you've created the family share go to settings>your contact card up top>family sharing. Under "Shared features" turn off the features you don't want to share, such as "Purchase Sharing".

Reactions: aristobrat

bumbo

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2009
This isn't very well publicised and would be a killer feature if it got really granular and let you choose specific services for different members.

esf215

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2013
This isn't very well publicised and would be a killer feature if it got really granular and let you choose specific services for different members.

exactly I wish it was all or nothing and we could pick the services we want to share with each family member

Volusia

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2016
Central Florida
Following Wingzfan61's instructions you can pick and choose a lot of the services to provide to family members. However, my son already has a family sharing set up within his own family, mainly to control air time for the grandson, and you can not join two family sharing groups.

esf215

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2013
Following Wingzfan61's instructions you can pick and choose a lot of the services to provide to family members. However, my son already has a family sharing set up within his own family, mainly to control air time for the grandson, and you can not join two family sharing groups.

Yes but you can't individualizing each service . For example you can't choose too share apple music with only your son and not his wife. If they are all apart of the family, then everyone has access or no one at all. Same with App Store and everything

bumbo

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2009
Be a part of 2 family groups? What a nightmare. Imagine all the mess that would cause

tgara

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2012
Connecticut, USA
Be a part of 2 family groups? What a nightmare. Imagine all the mess that would cause

So if, say, my wife was the organizer for the family plan we share and where I am just a member, can I, as just a member, purchase an Apple Music family subscription and share it with her?

In other words, is it just the organizer who can make such purchases? Or can individual members do so? I’m thinking perhaps it is the former since that plan is attached to a specific payment method, but thoughts from the group would be helpful.

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
So if, say, my wife was the organizer for the family plan we share and where I am just a member, can I, as just a member, purchase an Apple Music family subscription and share it with her?

In other words, is it just the organizer who can make such purchases? Or can individual members do so? I’m thinking perhaps it is the former since that plan is attached to a specific payment method, but thoughts from the group would be helpful.

If you’re already in a family subscription you cannot create another until you leave that one.
Everyone in the family group can make purchases, it’s just the organiser is the one who pays unless the other have their own iTunes credit balance which would come from that first.
As an organiser you can set it so you are notified of an intended purchase which you can accept or decline.

Reactions: tgara

tgara

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2012
Connecticut, USA
If you’re already in a family subscription you cannot create another until you leave that one.
Everyone in the family group can make purchases, it’s just the organiser is the one who pays unless the other have their own iTunes credit balance which would come from that first.
As an organiser you can set it so you are notified of an intended purchase which you can accept or decline.

thank you, this is very helpful.

Reactions: -Gonzo-

bumbo

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2009

If the purchase is for Apple Music, or Apple TV+ then everyone gets access to it regardless of who initiated the purchase

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.