Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

canhaz

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2012
This whole feature is one of the main reasons which makes it absolutely impossible for me to switch (again) to Apple Music. I recently gave Apple Music again a try, but i really missed this feature. It also sounds that the recently Apple Music redesign won't bring any improvements regarding to this topic.

As a longtime Spotify user and Apple Music, I have to agree. The Spotify Connect feature is simply incredible. Being able to control whats playing from any device seems like a no brainer. Yet apple seems to be obsessed with Airplay and sending audio from one device to another, meaning you have to carryon on using that device. Very odd.

Even Youtube moved over to a 'pointer based" casting approach to remotely playing Videos. Instead of streaming it from the control device to the output device, it simply tells the output device to "go here" and lets the output device do its thing. This decoupling means you can control it from multiple places. Spotify goes a step further even in this regard.

Unfortunately Spotify doesn't work as well with our Mercedes GLC entertainment system so I use Apple Music there.

J.Gallardo

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2017
Spain
I wanted to know if any of this has been fixed with the latest versions of the Remote app and apple music?

Currently, I have speakers outside that are connected to my computer (speaker wires run from my computer and stereo in my office, under my basement, and outside to the outdoor speakers I have. It works great over wifi from my iphone with the remote app, and I use itunes internet radio, that I can control the stations from on the remote app.

BUT, these stations kinda suck and the sound quality of them isn't the best. I was thinking about BUYING apple music, then I can be more of a DJ and play ANY SONG I WANT, but I think someone told me I can't do this unless the songs are on the actual computer harddrive? I hope that's not true. I'd like to control songs on the fly with apple music and control them still via the remote app, which all plays outside on my speakers. Any advice?
Just trying these days with this...
-Yes, Remote can just play songs in your mac's library. That's bad news, I can't fiddle with AppleMusic at that moment.
-But songs don't need to be downloaded in your mac. So, with Remote you can play your library (in the cloud).
-I haven't tried yet, but I suppose I can make a playlist in Music app in my phone, and possibly mac's library will show up that new list. A little mess, as you must use "Music" and "Remote" in your phone, but it should work, as far as Music on mac gets the change you made from your phone.

(Edit): Yes, it works. Mac syncs in a few seconds, and you can play added song from remote; you can make a special list, it'll be synced. Not perfect, but usable.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.