Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SuperMarioKart

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2015
I tested about 20 iPhone 6S & 6S Plus on iOS 9.2.1 to 9.3.2. If I erase all content and settings and return to the activation screen, the iPhones require me to restore to the newest version in iTunes to bypass the "Activation error' message. If i request a carrier unlock code and then try another SIM card for an already activated iPhone, I get the "Activation error" message and have to update as well. Anyone on iOS 9 want to test this and report back? Any way for Apple not to force us to update to the newest iOS?

Eriamjh1138@DAN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
BFE, MI
I JUST activated an iPhone 4S, but without a carrier (formerly verizon) and it took two tries.

It's the last iOS 9.3.5.

It's a dog, but it's just part of my collection.

SuperMarioKart

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2015
Well, that's because Apple is still signing the firmware for 9.3.5 iPhone 4S CDMA and GSM. I bet 5/5s/6/6s/Plus all have this issue.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
If I remember correctly,
if you wipe a phone that's on iOS 9, you can restore FROM BACKUP back to iOS 9. Basically a clone of what you had.

If you wipe a phone that has iOS 9 and want a fresh install without your backup data (everything gone) then you can only install the latest version of software that will run on your device. Currently that's iOS 11.3.

If you install 11.3 on the phone, you can never install iOS 9 back on it again.

SuperMarioKart

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2015
I'm not sure if this is accurate at all. You can't use the restore from backup option on an unactivated iPhone.

If I remember correctly,
if you wipe a phone that's on iOS 9, you can restore FROM BACKUP back to iOS 9. Basically a clone of what you had.

If you wipe a phone that has iOS 9 and want a fresh install without your backup data (everything gone) then you can only install the latest version of software that will run on your device. Currently that's iOS 11.3.

If you install 11.3 on the phone, you can never install iOS 9 back on it again.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
What? This is abhorrent. Seriously if you delete the phone on iOS 9 you have to restore to iOS 11? Talk to me about forced updates. It's wrong that restoring updates automatically, even more so that erasing does it now, too. Doesn't happen on iOS 10 so far, though. I erased a 7+ on iOS 10 and it's still in it.

KishanKissoon

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2018
This is terrible man, I'm just waiting for the next oppertunity or mishap on apples part to sign ios 10 back and jump on it and downgrade to it asap. IOS 11 is awful

Candlelight

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
New Zealand
I had battery issues so attempted a full back up, wipe and restore, but found I couldn't do it. Am now stuck on iOS 11 and my poor iPhone 6S is slow and ugly.

And I still have a battery issue. :(

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I had battery issues so attempted a full back up, wipe and restore, but found I couldn't do it. Am now stuck on iOS 11 and my poor iPhone 6S is slow and ugly.

And I still have a battery issue. :(
You might want to go get your battery replaced while Apple is doing it cheap this year.

Candlelight

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
New Zealand
So I replaced the battery this morning, took it off charge at 10.30am on 100%, but by 3pm it was down to 59%.

Have shut down all background app refreshes for the time being to see if that gives the charge back. Would hate it if it turned out to be an app I downloaded/updated last week.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.