Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
What kind of Flying Spaghetti Monster deitydoesn’t have a garlic bread side deity.

And we all know the best garlic bread comes from a pizza oven.
Naturally. All pastafarians know that pizza and garlic bread are at the right and left hands of his High Spaghettiness.

RichardMZhlubb

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2010
Washington, DC
The problem then becomes distribution. It is not insurmountable but you can't just stick everything in a corner of the country. In fact they are currently doing work to send power FROM Cheyenne, Wyoming TO Las Vegas, Nevada to service the grids in NV, CA, and AZ. Seems crazy but it's complicated. ;)

The bigger problem is the duck curve and storage. We cannot fully rely on intermittent resources like wind and solar until we have cost-effective storage solutions available to turn that energy into a fully dispatchable 24/7 product. We’re still a decade or more away from that goal.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
This is why, at least from what I understand, solar power seems to be the way to go. It's estimated that 21,250 square miles of land would need to be covered in solar panels in order to meet the energy requirements for the US. The yellow in this map is 21,250 square miles:
View attachment 875099

Yes and No
It can go a long way, but not 100%, and not all the time.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
I find it sad that this story has to go in PSRI. A collaboration on renewable energy should not be a political issue.

Yup. A widescale collaboration mean that even arch-rivals (Apple and Samsung) can sometimes set aside differences and cooperate on mutual issues that's important to all the companies involved, but also important to all humanity.
[automerge]1573372904[/automerge]
I am curious about this New Texas. Is it an improvement over Texas?

Yeah I guess. And some people believe New Mexico is an improvement over Mexican Mexico.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.