Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 20, 2017
It just means that Maestro will show up as a card when you click "+" in Wallet. Up until now only Visa & MC showed up as rotating cards.

samwa3

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2018
It just means that Maestro will show up as a card when you click "+" in Wallet. Up until now only Visa & MC showed up as rotating cards.
Yes I understand that. Maybe should‘ve made that clearer in my original question. So why did they change the promoted card
networks now?

docfred

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2018
Germany
Just added a Revolut Maestro. Let’s wait if it helps in any „GiroOnly“ store.
I never was able to pay anywhere with the bunq maestro. Even in stores that accepted MasterCard and Visa.

don‘t know if it‘s about the maestro or if its a bunq thing.

samwa3

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2018
Fwiw, I never had a problem with the bunq Maestro (be it using the physical card or via Apple Pay), but being close to the Dutch border may be a factor as there are a lot of tourists shopping here and Maestro maybe better accepted than average.

wSchabby

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2018

Is that good news or bad news? Some "Doomsayers" are already predicting the end of Apple Pay in Germany, saying that Apple would never open NFC for payments but rather close it for everyone completely. What do you think?

AlexSch91

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2018
Is that good news or bad news? Some "Doomsayers" are already predicting the end of Apple Pay in Germany, saying that Apple would never open NFC for payments but rather close it for everyone completely. What do you think?

Is it possible that you copy the text or maybe when the whole text is not allowed to post, then to give some important quotes from the article for the people that don't have or want access over the paywall ;)
Thanks a lot!

wSchabby

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2018
Is it possible that you copy the text or maybe when the whole text is not allowed to post, then to give some important quotes from the article for the people that don't have or want access over the paywall ;)
Thanks a lot!

Just google it or look here

TSMusik

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2009
But there might me a loophole Apple could use in terms of security:
§58a (3) By way of exception, the system provider shall not be obliged in accordance with subsection 1 if there are objectively justified reasons for refusing to make the services available. These shall exist in particular if the system provider can prove that the security and integrity of the technical infrastructure services is specifically endangered by making them available. The reasons for the rejection must be comprehensible.
Translated with help from DeepL, page 78 of http://dip21.bundestag.de/dip21/btd/19/151/1915163.pdf (German)

docfred

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2018
Germany
There is no way that Apple can proof that as they already allow access to NFC for other apps. Like access to ID cards as in Germany. Or immigration processes like in UK.

wSchabby

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2018
I see multiple defense strategies for Apple

1. They close NFC completely in Germany, so they don't contribute to payment services anymore. That would be the worst case und would probably totally destroy the relationship with the bank as reliable partner. For Apple, the German market would be dead for the next years.

2.It is not mentioned in §58a that the "Infrastrukturleistung" has to be the NFC-Chip. Maybe they could argue, that they already opened e.g. Bluetooth, what also works for payment transactions.

3. They have to offer NFC with "reasonable conditions". It is absolutely unclear when a condition is reasonable and when it isn't. They could simply just take a transaction fee that is at least as high or even higher as the Apple Pay fee. Thus nobody would use it.

4. What TSMusik said.

5. They offer the Apple Card asap.

6. EuGH/Bundesverfassungsgericht (rather unlikely)

PR1985

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2016
Germany

PR1985

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2016
Germany
It seems that they are, finally, ready.

1574344572524.png

Source: https://www.sskduesseldorf.de/de/home.html

Mr-Fly

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2018
Frankfurt, Germany
Looked it up on the Sparkasse of my wife. They really want 2,50€ per month for the Basis Visa which is a debit. They are really crazy!

Edit:
And just looked at SSK Düsseldorf, they want 36€ / year.

PR1985

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2016
Germany
That has been up for quite a while now.

My bet is on early December, potentially with iOS 13.3. I wish they'd be more open with Apple Pay rollout information but at least it's happening in the next few weeks.
You are right, but it wasn´t placed that prominent before.
[automerge]1574356330[/automerge]
Looked it up on the Sparkasse of my wife. They really want 2,50€ per month for the Basis Visa which is a debit. They are really crazy!

Edit:
And just looked at SSK Düsseldorf, they want 36€ / year.
Better to get the Credit Card. 25€ per year Standard MC or Visa, those who have Visa.

Last edited:

Mr-Fly

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2018
Frankfurt, Germany
You are right, but it wasn´t placed that prominent before.
[automerge]1574356330[/automerge]

Better to get the Credit Card. 25€ per year Standard MC or Visa, those who have Visa.

Yes. But as this is a normal credit it depends on the customer how much credit limit he gets. So sometimes a debit might be good if the credit limit might not get high enough.

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
Yes. But as this is a normal credit it depends on the customer how much credit limit he gets. So sometimes a debit might be good if the credit limit might not get high enough.
I thought Sparkasse is very flexible about credit limits on CCs? You can just call and say to increase it. That is if you have income.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 20, 2017
It probably also depends on your Sparkasse. Some are super flexible (my old one is totally chilled out - a short email requesting a realistic increase is enough and they'll put it up within a few days). My last temporary raise stayed at that level, which is the main reason I still have the card.

Others have very expensive card products and prefer to keep a wary eye on their customers before handing out any cards, but there you go.

Mr-Fly

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2018
Frankfurt, Germany
Sparkasse also has a broad customer range. From nearly poor to rich.
That’s why they need the debit cards, for the „not so rich“ customers.
So all cards have their Target.
Weird that they price the debit higher then the smallest credit.
Button the other hand look what they charge for the 0 credit Giro account. Crazy!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.