Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PR1985

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2016
Germany
Guys? i just talked to my Stadtsparkasse. They say that you would need chipTAN or pushTAN and it sounds like you would need it, to be able to use Apple Pay. That´s not the case. They say it, because you need it for online banking anyway.
Without the app you won´t have a complete purchase history since wallet shows you only the last ten transactions.

KarstenS

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2018
They say that you would need chipTAN or pushTAN and it sounds like you would need it, to be able to use Apple Pay.

Not "to use" for payments with ApplePay. But to add a physical card to the wallet.

Typically, the step will not needed for adding a card with the app. But I think to use the app at all, you will need it too.

Reactions: PR1985

PR1985

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2016
Germany
Not "to use" for payments with ApplePay. But to add a physical card to the wallet.

Typically, the step will not needed for adding a card with the app. But I think to use the app at all, you will need it too.
To use the app not, but to do certain things like authenticate a normal online payment or a change of your personal data or for the online banking-login, every 90 days (PSD2 you know?!).

PR1985

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2016
Germany
The second factor will not get asked when logging into your banking account with the app?

I really can't believe this.
First I have my password for the app. I use FaceID, so I do not need it. Sure, after a logout you need it.
Second is the online banking PIN, which I do not save in the app but I type it in every time.
In addition you need a TAN every 90 days. Since I use chipTAN USB and only have one card reader attached to my PC I have got to be at home to do this step.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 20, 2017
Guys? i just talked to my Stadtsparkasse. They say that you would need chipTAN or pushTAN and it sounds like you would need it, to be able to use Apple Pay. That´s not the case. They say it, because you need it for online banking anyway.
Without the app you won´t have a complete purchase history since wallet shows you only the last ten transactions.

That sounds odd. I assume that's for the automatic adding to Wallet. There will most certainly be another option (probably via the SPK callcenter).

As I get push notifications for my SPK Mastercard, I wouldn't really be bothered that much. But it would be nice to get an instant overview of transactions.

xManny

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2018
LOL i was able to add my Sparkasse Visa to Wallet. Activation is not possible.
D9D68988-E672-43EB-BAA4-3192A85AAA86.jpeg

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 20, 2017
LOL i was able to add my Sparkasse Visa to Wallet. Activation is not possible.

Just out of pure interest. What is the cards name in Wallet?

I've tried my Mastercard and it won't work. Seemingly only Visa are "working" at the moment. I would assume Tuesday is a good day for the launch.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 20, 2017
Now we know why we will need the app in the first place.

Well it's that option or the SPK service center (T&Cs were leaked online and it's a number in Stuttgart, so probably S-Payment that's dealing with the entire backend including service for customers). Consorsbank also only offers hotline or SMS verification.

Deutsche Bank has in-app, SMS and hotline verification methods.

Reactions: PR1985

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
It makes sense that they use their TAN system to verify card ownership, much easier and smoother authentication solution than calling a hotline or waiting for a SMS code.
I assume we'll see iOS 13.3 + Apple Pay rollout for Sparkasse next week (not saying 13.3 is tied to Sparkasse Apple Pay, but it could very well be the case).

Knight22

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2018
I just saw a post on Facebook that SolarisBank is showing T&C with Google Pay. I tested Apple Pay and it went to „Setting up Card for Apple Pay”. So we may see something big this or next Tuesday.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 20, 2017
Openbank is on the list in wallet.

Which is funny really, because they haven't even launched their half-a***d attempt at a digital/challenger/direct bank yet. Does anyone really need Openbank?

Santander should've just put their energy into launching Apple Pay for their German retail bank and the many 1plus Visa credit card customers. But there you go.

boon Planet is quite interesting for those people who are looking for a basic current account, mastercard debit and Apple Pay. Benefit with boon is, that it's via Wirecard Bank which also has a DE-IBAN, decent customer service with a hotline and German banking licence - so thoroughly regulated. I would also say Wirecard is a safe bet through it being in the DAX.

Reactions: PR1985 and samwa3

LarsN.

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2017
The family sharing bug is annoying. Like if my cc data doesn’t have to be protected because 5 people are using them ...

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
Loads of articles mention (and claim it‘s been the internally fixed date since october) the 10th December as the Sparkasse launch day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.