Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Furzul

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2013
Derbyshire, England
I find it silly that Lloyds would restrict it, Apple Pay is the most secure payment method there is if I am not mistaken. It can't be skimmed like using a physical card, you need your fingerprint or face to be able to use it, opposed to someone to guessing a PIN or just having the physical card in their possession - makes no sense why they'd do that, to me at least.
I agree. But I do not think that Lloyd’s are the only ones to restrict Apple-pay. I opened an account with Starling bank a couple of years ago (closed it since) and they restricted Apple Pay to £500. It may have changed now though.

Furzul

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2013
Derbyshire, England
I checked with Lloyds and they told me it was a £30 limit on Apple Pay. I dont believe that
That is not right. I have filled my car up at Sainsbury’s using Apple Pay and it can cost up to £80.00. The £30 limit was imposed by some retailers when Apple Pay first came out. The truth is you can ask ten people at Lloyd’s the same question and get ten different answers, they just do not seem to know.

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
That is not right. I have filled my car up at Sainsbury’s using Apple Pay and it can cost up to £80.00. The £30 limit was imposed by some retailers when Apple Pay first came out. The truth is you can ask ten people at Lloyd’s the same question and get ten different answers, they just do not seem to know.
Yeah its ridiculous really. I might give customer services a call

Reactions: Furzul

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016

Brilliant news. It seems to have automatically set my default card as the express travel card on the phone but wasn’t set automatically on the watch. When I manually try to set it up I get an error. Is anyone else facing the same issue?

84f561a26d7f0bfe91c3e895e8079e36.jpg

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Brilliant news. It seems to have automatically set my default card as the express travel card on the phone but wasn’t set automatically on the watch. When I manually try to set it up I get an error. Is anyone else facing the same issue?

84f561a26d7f0bfe91c3e895e8079e36.jpg

I figured it out. I tried this when I wasn’t wearing the watch so it was an authentication issue. I put the watch on and tried again, it worked.

marklemac

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2003
Southampton, UK.
Good call. I hadn't noticed that; you have to download the Nectar app to Apple Watch and use the barcode in there instead.

Which is completely stupid isn't it. Defeats the point of the wallet app, if the nectar card shows properly in the phone wallett app, then it should show the same in the watch wallet.

iGeek2019

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2019
No Selection
If you set up ‘favourite stores’ in the Clubcard app (up to 10) when you’re in the vicinity you’ll see a red dot on Apple Watch. Drag it down from the top and it’s there ready.

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2004
London, England
The way around the Oyster card not in Apple Wallet would be to have the Citymapper Pass. It is a subscription, but so is Oyster if you use it for weekly/monthly/annual Travelcards.

Also, whilst banks can put limits on contactless/Apple Pay use, so can stores. When contactless first came out, the limit was £30, but that restriction doesn't apply anymore. It's up to the stores to update their terminals, which they rarely do.

I'm glad that Nectar and Boots finally has an Apple Wallet card, as trying to scan from their apps was terrible. I hope Nando's does this soon as there still is no barcode in the app and you can't even get the number if you have no 'net connection.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ifti

cosmo811

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2011
Cambridge, UK
I don't live in London but I was there for an academic giving a public talk about their book last week, so I gave it a go using the 'express card' functionality on the underground and it was honestly really pretty cool. I don't go to London often enough to justify an Oyster card, and not even needing to unlock my phone to get through the gates was cool. Could see this saving a lot of time/speeding up foot traffic/lowering congestion on the underground if it gets used by lots of people.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.