Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gavroche

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 25, 2007
Left Coast
I placed a large online order (over $1000) through a large well-known website that supports Apple Pay. My order contained multiple items. Their order confirmation specifies that although a hold may be placed on the card, you are not charged until the order is shipped. After placing the order, I received the notification of the hold on my iPhone for the full amount. A day later a small portion of my order shipped. And and a day or two later, the hold amount changed to just a small pro-rated portion of the original total amount (about 10%), and it shows as a completed transaction. No more hold showing up. Then the remaining items in my order shipped. But there is no hold or pending transaction charge for the remaining 90% of the amount. I've been thinking about it since yesterday... and I'm wondering how they could even put through a second transaction at this point... as they never even had my actual card information. Does Apple Pay have some provision for this in place for websites that support Apple Pay?

gavroche

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 25, 2007
Left Coast
Yes, this won't be a problem. The merchant can retain the DAN and other information required to process things like partial shipments or returns. See here for a list of transaction types supported by Apple Pay:

https://developer.apple.com/apple-pay/planning/

Ok cool. Because if they could not, they would end up calling me for payment, and I wouldn't be able to do Apple Pay payment on the phone. And 2% cash backon such a large transaction isn't trivial enough to want to lose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.