Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has paid $25 million for the rights to a Billie Eilish documentary that will be shown on Apple TV+ and follows the 17-year-old singer-songwriter's life after the release of her debut album in March, reports The Hollywood Reporter.

billieeilish.jpg

According to the report, the film is directed by R J Cutler and produced in collaboration with Interscope Records, and covers moments between Eilish and her family, as well as behind-the-scenes peeks at public appearances. The project is expected to debut in 2020.

Notably, the film will reportedly be released on Apple TV+ instead of Apple Music, which has previously been host to documentaries about musicians, like Taylor Swift's The 1989 World Tour (Live) and Ed Sheeran's Songwriter.

The decision could signal a broader shift in Apple's content plans so that all the company's original programming is released exclusively on its new TV+ video streaming service, rather than being divided across two platforms.

Earlier this year, Apple removed the TV & Movies category from the Browse section of the Music app and started linking out Apple Music programming from its TV app listings.

apple-music-video-content-listed-in-tv-app.jpg
Apple Music-hosted video content, currently discoverable from the TV app

Apple already bundles Apple TV+ with its Apple Music student plan, which costs $4.99 per month, so hosting all video content in the TV app would make sense. Apple is also considering bundling Apple Music, Apple TV+, and its Apple News+ subscription service as early as 2020, according to Bloomberg.

Eilish kicked off Wednesday's inaugural Apple Music Awards with a bespoke performance based on her debut album When We Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go? The singer was also awarded ?Apple Music?'s Album of the Year as the most streamed album of 2019, and Songwriter of the Year, which went to both her and her brother FINNEAS.

Article Link: Apple Pays $25 Million for Billie Eilish Documentary Headed for Apple TV+ Rather Than Apple Music

Reactions: ikir

Williesleg

Cancelled
Oct 28, 2014
Glad to see apple putting so much money into tv.
One thing I wish is if they could fix their existing tv.
For example, if you buy or watch the preview of the curse of oak island, latest season, latest episode, you get an entirely different show! No way to contact apple about it, so enjoy the free other show until they fix it, whenever. Or maybe they won't ever fix it. They're too busy doing other things.

• Angry
Reactions: Ar40

Craigwilliam

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2012
Auckland
I'm not really into her music, I guess I'm not really into modern music in general but I might check out the documentary to see if it's interesting.

Reactions: H3LL5P4WN

SoGood

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
The society has lost perspective to be so interested in a 17 years old 'kid' and willing to pay $25M. The valuation is commercial but makes social value sense in the bigger scheme of things. Just 17 years old!

bpp85

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2013
Europe
I’m going to need y’all to stop posting articles about this “artist”. I do not understand how she became so popular, her “music” is literally just her whispering to a beat. #edgy #getoffmylawn
Well I know some people on this forum who are apparently anointed judges of good taste in music might find this to be a shocking statement but - different people like different music. I don’t think this is reporting on Billie Eilish, it’s more about what is going to be on Apple’s services.

Velin

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
Apple wastes so much money instead of putting it into better product development

Right? We understand; Apple the services company needs content to compete. Got it.

But nothing about this "investment" is going to help pros, techs, or even consumers where it matters: the tech. Nothing about this improves speed, or reliability, or interoperability. This does nothing for workflows. This does not help us communicate better or more clearly.

If this helps Apple make more money, which then flows to (i) product and software development, (ii) Apple's use of AWS or its own datacenters for cloudflow, or (iii) lower product/service prices, then good.

chilly willy

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
Charlotte, NC
No axe to grind with the young lady. Good for her and her fans. But that’s a lot of money that to this curmudgeon could be put into hardware or software development. That said, Apple is transitioning from being a hardware company, so no one should be shocked. I’m just still trying to come to terms with fact Apple looking to become a big player in the entertainment world.

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
The society has lost perspective to be so interested in a 17 years old 'kid' and willing to pay $25M. The valuation is commercial but makes social value sense in the bigger scheme of things. Just 17 years old!
That kid is more mature than most users here. She also switched to vegan years ago for environment and animal rights. She is very intelligent and talented. I don’t like her music, but I recognize she is an artist. Also her success is incredible.
[automerge]1575548126[/automerge]
Apple wastes so much money instead of putting it into better product development
There is no relation in this. Hardware is a thing, entertainment is another.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Right? We understand; Apple the services company needs content to compete. Got it.

But nothing about this "investment" is going to help pros, techs, or even consumers where it matters: the tech. Nothing about this improves speed, or reliability, or interoperability. This does nothing for workflows. This does not help us communicate better or more clearly.

If this helps Apple make more money, which then flows to (i) product and software development, (ii) Apple's use of AWS or its own datacenters for cloudflow, or (iii) lower product/service prices, then good.
Well, if it's something I have picked up here, it's that anything which gets criticised here likely means that Apple is on to something and that it will resonate with everyone else.

All this reminds me of the "Where's my Mac Pro" whining that infested this forum not too long ago. Everyone here acting like a bunch of jilted lovers who can't seem to stomach the possibility of Apple having the *gasp* audacity to invest in products that they don't use.

Because if you have no use for it, means that no one else has a use for it, right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.