Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
$25m for ... documentary? Like, for a DOCUMENTARY??! Are they filming it with solid gold cameras or setting up entire city scape sets for this thing? It's self promotion for the artist, so her income from it should be minimal and off the earnings later.

Apple really knows how to buy a luxurious catering spread while losing the script.

If they aren't throwing money down the drain on re-re-heated talent doing insipid stories based on neotrash, they are doing ultra-expensive documentaries. Nice.
Yeah I’ve got nothing against this artist. I’m fine with a documentary about her. But why on earth does it cost $25 million dollars to make a documentary about a pop star who has been popular only what—3 years? :eek: I just heard of her this year, myself.

25 million dollars. Jeez. For that kind of money I hope Baby Yoda is in it.

The Captain

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2008
Apple’s turning into one of those companies that popular artist know are a ‘mark’ they can fleece as long as their popularity and name recognition is flashy enough at the moment.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pikup Andropov

PhilMacbook

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2018
Britain
Sure Apple can afford it but surely they don't waste millions. By paying $25 million it implies there was serious competition for the documentary.

Ar40

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2017
Yeah I’ve got nothing against this artist. I’m fine with a documentary about her. But why on earth does it cost $25 million dollars to make a documentary about a pop star who has been popular only what—3 years? :eek: I just heard of her this year, myself.

25 million dollars. Jeez. For that kind of money I hope Baby Yoda is in it.
It's not the price for the content. It's the fee for the brand of Billie Eilish.

PhilMacbook

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2018
Britain
By bundling Apple TV+ with Apple products those of us who buy hardware and don't watch Apple TV+ are subsiding these sort of deals.

I would rather they knocked $50 off an iPhone than bundle content I don't want.

bpb

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2019
By bundling Apple TV+ with Apple products those of us who buy hardware and don't watch Apple TV+ are subsiding these sort of deals.

I would rather they knocked $50 off an iPhone than bundle content I don't want.
Huh? They didn't raise the price of devices to bundle Apple TV+. They're waiving the Apple TV+ subscription fee for anyone who happens to buy a new device. There's a big difference.

Reactions: Ar40

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
The society has lost perspective to be so interested in a 17 years old 'kid' and willing to pay $25M. The valuation is commercial but makes social value sense in the bigger scheme of things. Just 17 years old!
Sounds more like a major success story from the perspective of this "kid", if they made it big at just 17

Have you ever accomplished a $25 million deal in your life? I certainly haven't

• Love
Reactions: Ar40

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Apple has paid $25 million for the rights to a Billie Eilish documentary that will be shown on Apple TV+ and follows the 17-year-old singer-songwriter's life after the release of her debut album in March, reports The Hollywood Reporter.

billieeilish.jpg

According to the report, the film is directed by R J Cutler and produced in collaboration with Interscope Records, and covers moments between Eilish and her family, as well as behind-the-scenes peeks at public appearances. The project is expected to debut in 2020.

Notably, the film will reportedly be released on Apple TV+ instead of Apple Music, which has previously been host to documentaries about musicians, like Taylor Swift's The 1989 World Tour (Live) and Ed Sheeran's Songwriter.

The decision could signal a broader shift in Apple's content plans so that all the company's original programming is released exclusively on its new TV+ video streaming service, rather than being divided across two platforms.

Earlier this year, Apple removed the TV & Movies category from the Browse section of the Music app and started linking out Apple Music programming from its TV app listings.

apple-music-video-content-listed-in-tv-app.jpg

Apple Music-hosted video content, currently discoverable from the TV app

Apple already bundles Apple TV+ with its Apple Music student plan, which costs $4.99 per month, so hosting all video content in the TV app would make sense. Apple is also considering bundling Apple Music, Apple TV+, and its Apple News+ subscription service as early as 2020, according to Bloomberg.

Eilish kicked off Wednesday's inaugural Apple Music Awards with a bespoke performance based on her debut album When We Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go? The singer was also awarded ?Apple Music?'s Album of the Year as the most streamed album of 2019, and Songwriter of the Year, which went to both her and her brother FINNEAS.

Article Link: Apple Pays $25 Million for Billie Eilish Documentary Headed for Apple TV+ Rather Than Apple Music

to quote a lyrical and musician legend 'Albums Matter' (Prince).

Very glad to see the Album was streamed vs just singles which is too common.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
It's not the price for the content. It's the fee for the brand of Billie Eilish.
Yeah but it’s promoting her. That’s crazy how this business works.

I’m just too old for this world. I remember when $6 million would get you a better, faster, stronger man who not only could find Sasquatch, he could wrestle him, too 😜 Can Billie Eilish do this?

5E01E25E-8705-4B1F-8292-3709AAA3FDDF.jpeg

DoctorApple

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2017
Can someone in the industry tell me how the compensation breaks down? Being a non-scripted film, how much does the studio make and how much does the artist take home?

kennyt72

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2011
Chelsea, London, England
This is all to do with Jimmy Iovine it has his name written all over it, the documentary is produced in collaboration with Interscope Records which was founded by Jimmy, he's calling the shots here and has named his price.

slide_to_unlock

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2018
US
May be ....May be ....make Steve Jobs documentary using real Apple office, his real house, probably his real wife, his real garage, real design lab...WTF Apple. I don't know who Billie Ellish is. See I can't even pronounce or write his/her name.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.