Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MTD's Mac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 18, 2010
Los Angeles
Lately I’ve been thinking about Apple’s naming conventions. When I was first getting interested in Apple and Macs many years ago, one of the first things I did was develop an awareness of what the various names (prefixes, roots, and suffixes) referred to. These were the days of the iBook and Power Mac, so clearly much has changed since then!

Later, when I started following Apple rumors, predictions about names always caught my attention. This is still true, but I think we can see Apple’s naming plans playing out if we look closely at recent product launches and discontinuations.

Some names are obvious. Mac refers to traditional computers, portable or desktop. Pad means tablet. Phone means smartphone. Watch means wrist-worn device. Others have more nuance. This list is by no means complete, but let’s have a look:

Air

Current uses: MacBook Air, Air Play, Airports

Discontinued uses: iPad Air

I remember a lot of rumors about an iPhone Air. Then it never happened. This name used to be reserved for the thin variant of a product. But, amazingly, the “thin is in” trend seems to be slowing. iPhones haven’t gotten thinner, and rumors predict the iPhone 8 will actually be thicker than its predecessors. Wireless services and devices also have Air in the name, but as wireless becomes less of a novelty and more of an expectation, I think it has lost meaning. iPad lost the Air designation this year to become iPad and iPad Pro, so perhaps Air is being phased out as a naming standard.

Pod

Current uses: iPod, HomePod, AirPods, EarPods

As stand-alone devices iPods might be on the way out, but the Pod name has a lot of historical meaning to Apple. The new AirPods and upcoming HomePod seem to signify commitment to the name. Apparently Pods can be portable, or stationary, but are always music-themed.

As a side note, the iPod line is the only place Apple has used the names Nano, Shuffle, and Classic, none of which seem to have much of a future in product names.

Pro

Current uses: Mac Pro, MacBook Pro, iMac Pro, iPad Pro

Apple seems firmly committed to the Pro name, even if it simultaneously designates both pro-sumer and truly professional-grade products. The upcoming iMac Pro (and farther-off modular Mac Pro) and recently-revised iPad Pro lineup signal the plan to have a Pro level to several product lines, referring to devices with more power, newer features, and sometimes-shocking price tags. Could an iPhone Pro or Apple Watch Pro ever come to market? Maybe not, but the Pro name seems to be here to stay.

i

Current uses: iPhone, iMac, iPad, iPod, iBooks, iMovie, iTunes

Discontinued uses: iBook

This one is interesting. On the one hand, Apple seems to be moving away from the i name. (Remember when everyone was expecting an iWatch?) But then again, the iPod and iPhone names have such brand value, it will probably never die entirely. i used to refer to “internet” (among other terms) but today is almost synonymous with Apple as a brand.

Apple (or )

Current uses: Apple Watch, Apple Music, Apple Pencil, Apple (retail stores)

It’s the name of the company, and a logo recognizable worldwide. When many of us were expecting an iWatch, we got Apple Watch instead. I think it’s a nice break from the i-based naming pattern, and it allows them to signal that a new device represents Apple’s vision for the category. Apple Pencil: Apple reinvents the pencil! But we all already know what a pencil is, so their job is half done. I wonder if the iPad were released today, might it be called the Apple Tablet?

Edition

Current uses: Apple Watch Edition (ceramic)

Discontinued uses: Apple Watch Edition (gold)

Edition could be a Watch-only name, but some have speculated that we’ll see it again in the name of the OLED iPhone. I think this would be a big source of confusion, especially if the stainless steel phone rumors are true and there’s a steel iPhone Edition and a steel Watch, which is not the Edition model.

Home

Current uses: HomeKit, HomePod

A newer name, but HomePod is potentially a very big product, and new technologies related to smart homes might borrow Home as well.

Mini

Current uses: Mac mini, iPad mini

Discontinued uses: iPod mini

This one seems to be on its way out. Smaller devices might get their own names in the future to designate them as special (see IPhone SE) rather than being called “mini” versions of more substantial products.

Touch

Current uses: Touch Bar, iPod touch, Touch ID

Until all interfaces are touch-based, I think this one will pop up whenever Apple makes a product with a more touch-based interface than the version it replaces.

Magic

Current uses: Magic Mouse, Magic Trackpad, Magic Keyboard

Strange that the most exaggerated name is used for desktop peripherals only. But this could come up again, in Magic Glasses, or some new area where they want to create a sense of wonder.

Another interesting part of naming is product numbering. iPad has ditched counting for the most part, but it persists in iPhones and, to a lesser extent, in Apple Watch (Series 1, Series 2). Maybe it’s because there are the products Apple most wants people to upgrade year-over-year, and numbering makes it easy to count generations and feel like something needs to be replaced. I remember when iPhone 5 was rumored to be losing the number designation (it wasn't the 5th generation, nor was it 5G) but Apple just kept counting. We’ll have to see what iPhone “8” is called to determine the future of numbering.

What do you all think? I haven’t even addressed names like SE, S, TV, or Plus. But if we have a sense of which names are on the way in or out, maybe we can glean a bit about upcoming products as well, or at least what they will be called!

MTD's Mac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 18, 2010
Los Angeles
UPDATE for 2019

A few years ago I wrote an analysis of Apple’s naming conventions, with an eye toward future product names. A lot has happened since then, and with a raging debate over the merits of naming anything an “iPhone Pro” I thought it would be a good time to revisit the subject, going name by name, prefix by prefix.

Air

Current uses: MacBook Air, iPad Air, AirPlay, AirPods, AirDrop

Discontinued uses: AirPower

Before iPhone Pro rumors, there were a few cycles where we expected an iPhone Air (thinner, possible wedge-shaped). This never came to be, but today Apple uses Air in two distinct ways: to refer to lighter versions of other hardware, and to denote wireless capability in headphones, file sharing, and screen sharing.

AirPower would have offered wireless charging, and I can imagine the Air prefix showing up again in a future wireless charging product, possibly when Apple is ready to ship something with longer-range wireless charging capabilities.

With a new iPad Air reviving the name last year, and the Air prefix showing up in other areas too, Apple seems to have doubled down on the Air name.

Pod

Current uses: iPod, HomePod, AirPods, EarPods

No changes here in the last few years. As stand-alone devices iPods might be on the way out, but the Pod name has a lot of historical meaning to Apple. The new AirPods and upcoming HomePod seem to signify commitment to the name. Apparently Pods can be portable, or stationary, but are always music-themed.

As a side note, the iPod line is the only place Apple has used the names Nano, Shuffle, and Classic, none of which seem to have much of a future in product names.

Pro

Current uses: Mac Pro, MacBook Pro, iMac Pro, iPad Pro, iPhone Pro

Apple seems firmly committed to the Pro name, even if it generates conflict and confusion. The Pro name refers to devices with more power, newer features, and sometimes-shocking price tags. The new iPhone Pro reveals Apples plan to use this name whenever they want to position a product as “extra” compared to a “good enough for most people” version.

i

Current uses: iPhone, iMac, iPad, iPod, iBooks, iMovie, iTunes

Discontinued uses: iBook

Not many changes here either, compared to two years ago. On the one hand, Apple seems to be moving away from the i name. (Remember when everyone was expecting an iWatch?) But then again, the iPod and iPhone names have such brand value, it will probably never die entirely. i used to refer to “internet” (among other terms) but today is almost synonymous with Apple as a brand.

Apple (or )

Current uses: Apple Watch, Apple Music, Apple Pencil, Apple (retail stores), TV+, News+, Arcade

It’s the name of the company, and a logo recognizable worldwide. When many of us were expecting an iWatch, we got Apple Watch instead. I think it’s a nice break from the i-based naming pattern, and it allows them to signal that a new device represents Apple’s vision for the category. It’s also been used a lot with the new services. When was the last time we got an “i” device? For anyone interested in the names of new product categories (cars, VR/AR glasses),  seems like the prefix of the future.

Edition

Current uses: Apple Watch Edition (ceramic, titanium)

Discontinued uses: Apple Watch Edition (gold)

Despite premium materials, the iPhone X never took on the Edition name that some had speculated. This seems like a name specific to the watch when, mostly on years without a major redesign, Apple adds new and premium case materials.

Home

Current uses: HomeKit, HomePod

A newer name, but HomePod is potentially a very big product, and new technologies related to smart homes might borrow Home as well.

Mini

Current uses: Mac mini, iPad mini

Discontinued uses: iPod mini

This one seems to be on its way out. Smaller devices might get their own names in the future to designate them as special (see IPhone SE) rather than being called “mini” versions of more substantial products.

Touch

Current uses: Touch Bar, iPod touch, Touch ID

Until all interfaces are touch-based, I think this one will pop up whenever Apple makes a product with a more touch-based interface than the version it replaces.

Magic

Current uses: Magic Mouse, Magic Trackpad, Magic Keyboard

Strange that the most exaggerated name is used for desktop peripherals only. But this could come up again, in Magic Glasses, or some new area where they want to create a sense of wonder. Or maybe it’s a relic of the Steve Jobs era, and will never appear in a new product again.

Max

Replaced ‘plus’ as the identifier for the flagship iPhone with the bigger screen, but what will happen if a future phone passes the 6.5-inch “maximum” size? Why aren’t the 15-inch MacBook Pro, 27-inch iMac, or 12.9-inch iPad Pro “max” products too? There’s not a lot of logic here, or even good taste in naming, but Apple seems to like a special word specifically for the phone with the biggest screen.

Counting

Numbering continues to be another area of interest in regards to Apple naming. iPhone models continue counting upward, 8, X, 11... iPads have wiped the slate clean, and Macs haven’t used numbers in their names in decades, but the Apple Watch adds a digit to its Series name each year. Numbering products seems like a good way to signal a timeline for upgrading. Wearing an Apple Watch Series 3, or using an iPhone 6, feels like a mark of shame when a Series 5 or iPhone 11 are being advertised all around you.

Summary

A few naming conventions seem to be on the rise for Apple (, +, Pro) while others seem to have dropped off (Magic) or just stabilized (mini, i, Touch, Home, Edition) serving only specific, limited roles. With the discontinuation of the 12-inch MacBook, it appears that Apple sees a lot of value in these prefixes, and would rather sell a “MacBook Air” than a “MacBook.” Also, “iPhone Pro” was chosen over “Phoine” or “the new iPhone” (2019). It’s cleverly not about simplicity or aligning names and prefixes across product lines, but about the connotations all these little phrases have taken on over the years as people make buying decisions.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
I thought it would be a good time to revisit the subject, going name by name, prefix by prefix.

I think you've probably put more thought into the matter than Apple has :)

but today Apple uses Air in two distinct ways: to refer to lighter versions of other hardware, and to denote wireless capability in headphones, file sharing, and screen sharing.

Well, it started out as both: when the MacBook Air launched, yes it was ultra small and light, but some of that was achieved by drastically cutting things like optical drives, ethernet ports, USB ports (the original Air only had one) on the assumption that users would use WiFi and Bluetooth, and Apple had already established "Airport" as their name for WiFi.

When many of us were expecting an iWatch, we got Apple Watch instead.

Probably because Apple couldn't use the trademark: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-37350870

On the other hand, Pod - and especially Tunes - would have been non-starters at the time, not just because of the lack of Unicode support in the early 00s, but because of the touchy relationship between Apple Computer and a certain record company... Probably not an issue now that Apple are more famous than John Lennon and I assume that the hatchet was buried (probably in somebody's back) by the time that Apple dropped the "Computer" from their name.

"i" was originally partly about the internet but was also a riff on "personal" - otherwise "iPod" really wouldn't have made sense (esp. as it pre-dated the iTunes music store) and became a label for consumer products (iPod,iMac, iBook) when the serious Macs were still "Powermac"... The release of the "iMac Pro" ("consumer" and "Xeon" don't belong in the same sentence) put the tin lid on that, though.

Oh, by the way, you forgot to mention "retina" which still appears in product descriptions but got demoted from top billing with the dropping of the 12" MacBook.

Meanwhile, the mess Apple need to sort out now is the "laptop formerly known as the 13 inch MacBook Pro without Touch Bar - now with Touch Bar". Once the grass has grown on the 12" MacBook's grave it might make sense to re-name these "MacBooks"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.