Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway

grad

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2014
Apple just peaked with Snow Leopard 10.6.8.

Nowadays, both their software and hardware is too complex yet too buggy, too secure and restrained when it comes to customising yet too permissive and privacy intrusive when it comes to the real bad guys (no, it's not the russian/chinese/french/etc hackers).

There were not the only reasons, but inability to run 32bit apps and support Nvidia finally did it to me. I have had enough and I am on my way of migrating to something else (no, it's never going to be Microsoft).

Reactions: NMBob and Foxglove9

dracobdn

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2014
So for lots of users the new music app has a memory leak whilst uploading artwork , mine has crashed about 12 times due to it using all the RAM

I agree. I also think the app tends to lock up quite often during use and takes a lot of CPU and RAM.

Tommo66

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2014
I beta tested Catalina last night and all can say is don't upgrade to it. The new remake of iTunes is far from better and certain programs I use no longer work even though they are 64bit. For me a non starter.... and now I hear that the new mac pros will have Catalina as their operating OS.
I would suspect all new Macs will have Catalina as their only bootable OS. Apple have been doing that for years.
[automerge]1570619395[/automerge]

Nowadays, both their software and hardware is too complex yet too buggy, too secure and restrained when it comes to customising yet too permissive and privacy intrusive when it comes to the real bad guys (no, it's not the russian/chinese/french/etc hackers).

There were not the only reasons, but inability to run 32bit apps and support Nvidia finally did it to me. I have had enough and I am on my way of migrating to something else (no, it's never going to be Microsoft).
Citing inability to run 32 bit Apps as a reason for moving platform is just postponing the inevitable. I believe the next revision of Ubuntu will not run 32 bit code and as has been mentioned before others have already implemented it.

Reactions: NetCatman

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
So I installed on my 2015 iMac. It's been incredibly slow as far as Photos and Music is concerned. And after a forced reboot, my Photo library got corrupted. It sat at 0% for most of an hour, so I'm now restoring from Time Machine.

Anyone else experience anything similar?

• Sad

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK

It's late 2019. If you are still using 32-bit apps then give the lazy developers a kick up the jacksie. They've had over a decade to sort this out.

GalileoSeven

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2015
After the iOS 13 release, I'm not surprised to find Catalina is a similar steamy pile of garbage. Depending on how Apple treats this in the coming months, I might just continue rocking Mojave until I decide to ditch my MBA and move back to Windows.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
So I installed on my 2015 iMac. It's been incredibly slow as far as Photos and Music is concerned. And after a forced reboot, my Photo library got corrupted. It sat at 0% for most of an hour, so I'm now restoring from Time Machine.

Anyone else experience anything similar?

The first boot after installing the OS, the OS was laggy, CPU at 100%, I went to iCloud and saw photos unchecked. Freaked out, opened Photos and saw it was updating the database. This took ... quite some time (120+GB photos database). I was tempted to turn on iCloud photos (was on before) but figured I'd just screw stuff up if I did.

Yep, upon it updating the database (1-2 hours? - % bar didn't move until end) it showed checked in iCloud then spent the next 24 hours chugging away at 100% CPU finding duplicates and what not.

Typical Apple fashion - let it do its thing, if you interfere you'll screw it up. It won't tell you what it is doing or give any indication it is doing anything - just wait till it is done.

Now things are settling down. Feels smoother scrolling and doing various UI functions - works with my 4k monitor nicely vs last OS.

Last edited:

GlenK

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
It's running fast and smoothly on my 2015 MBPro. Had an issue with iCloud, photos, files, etc, but once I signed into iCloud on Safari it all started working perfectly. Not sure what that did but it fixed a lot of things and corrected that cycle about System Preferences and iCloud needing something updated.

Now I love it! It's extremely fast with no issues.

picaman

Cancelled
Oct 6, 2005
Typical Apple fashion - let it do its thing, if you interfere you'll screw it up. It won't tell you what it is doing or give any indication it is doing anything - just wait till it is done.

I’ve been installing Apple OSes since floppy disks and this has always been true. Patience, and walk away if you can’t be patient while looking at the screen ;)

grad

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2014
It's late 2019. If you are still using 32-bit apps then give the lazy developers a kick up the jacksie. They've had over a decade to sort this out.

You are assuming that everyone uses computers for social media/web -like apps, where you _have_ to have updates every week ? Or maybe that everyone fancies newish pay-to-win FPS games ? What about tools/utilities/emulators/games/plugins/drivers/libraries that happen to work perfectly as it is ?

Could you imagine if I forced you to watch Netflix TV series, Marvel's blockbuster movies, Lady Gaga's songs and I made all classic series, movies, and songs inaccessible ?

wdwpsu

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2017
Orlando
I've lost my dual monitor support on my Mac Mini 2018. It's worked fine all along, but it now doesn't detect my LG display. Thanks Apple!!!!

Tommo66

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2014
After the iOS 13 release, I'm not surprised to find Catalina is a similar steamy pile of garbage. Depending on how Apple treats this in the coming months, I might just continue rocking Mojave until I decide to ditch my MBA and move back to Windows.
Windows 10, you're a braver man than I. Have to run it at work and that can be a bundle of fun. Pesonally I am impressed by Catalina and ios13.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Just downloaded and installed Catalina on my 2018 15" MBP and all went smoothly. So far, no issues to report! I did my 12" MacBook yesterday and it, too, went seamlessly, no problems. The MBP took about an hour from beginning the download to completion, while the MacBook took around 45 minutes. The latter has a smaller-capacity SSD and fewer apps installed than the MBP.

Everything on both machines feels snappier and quicker!

hagjohn

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2006
Pennsylvania
No operating system will be running 32bit soon.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I think that the upgrade or not question is simple to answer: If you have mission critical apps that must work and are crucial for your work, then do not upgrade unless you are 100% sure that all of the required components have been updated for Catalina. Otherwise, upgrade!

Cyprusian

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2018
Until now I've had enough faith in Apple to be an early adopter of each new version of OSX/MacOS when they were released.

While some users report good things after upgrading to Catalina, there are a lot of others who report the opposite. That being the case, I'm going to join the cautious band who are hanging onto Mojave or earlier until the metaphorical dust has settled after Catalina's release.

Last edited:

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
After restoring, Mojave was kind enough to inform me that my photos library was incompatible and I needed a newer version of macOS.

After upgrading, we're back to the iMac being slower than dirt, and Photos is once again "Restoring..." with it being stuck at 0%. This is wonderful, really.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
PlayOnMac doesn't work :(.

CCC'ing to encrypted disks is now a pain in the ass - your previous bootable AFPS+ Encrypted disks are useless. So, I guess I'll just rely on Time Machine and have CCC backup my User's folder to an encrypted disk (not bootable).

Woke up to my Mac having crashed sometime overnight (set it to run all night for Photos). Been running for 2 days now for my 120+GB Photos library - 80% done.

Tried to share Apple Notes folder only to have it say sorry it couldn't share... and now it is working surprisingly.

Xcode failed to update several times and got stuck in a loop so I just uninstalled it.

I repeat from a previous post - My 4k Samsung monitor works perfectly now with my MBP 13' 2017 (before I had to connect/reconnect the cable several times for the monitor to recognize the connection). Works normally now.

FWIW, I manually downloaded Xcode from the developer website (under “all downloads”) and now I’m good. Never could get App Store to download It.

I still cannot actually upload anything to the App Store, though. Gives me a failure error message with no information. I think I’m going to have to try to wipe my distribution certificate and generate a new one or something. Nothing has worked so far. Catalina is not fun.
[automerge]1570644903[/automerge]

Snow Leopard was probably the pinnacle of MacOS buglessness, and was way ahead of the competition in terms of features.

My biggest frustration isn’t lack of progress or more bugs, it’s the fact that MacOS has slowly drifted to the point where things silently fail with no helpful error messages, so you have no idea what to do or where to look.

haddy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2012
NZ
After restoring, Mojave was kind enough to inform me that my photos library was incompatible and I needed a newer version of macOS.

After upgrading, we're back to the iMac being slower than dirt, and Photos is once again "Restoring..." with it being stuck at 0%. This is wonderful, really.
Well this seems to me that if you install 10.15 you can't go back to 10.14.6 if you want to use your photos.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.