Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brainwave89

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2006
The Catalina installer lets you know. But you can also generate a system report from “About this Mac”. The software section lists whether apps are 32-bit or 64-bit.
[automerge]1570652423[/automerge]
Yes.
Go to About this mac -> System Report -> Under Software, select Applications and there you can order the list based on 64bit apps.

Reactions: navaira

JeanDeFer

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2018
Tested Catalina today on MacBook Pro on the road. Mail drains power when off-line. One charge will last me 2 hours instead of 8. This is a mess. Last time I install an upgrade so quickly. We used to be able to trust apple, but these times seem to be over.

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
Apple just peaked with Snow Leopard 10.6.8.

Nowadays, both their software and hardware is too complex yet too buggy, too secure and restrained when it comes to customising yet too permissive and privacy intrusive when it comes to the real bad guys (no, it's not the russian/chinese/french/etc hackers).

There were not the only reasons, but inability to run 32bit apps and support Nvidia finally did it to me. I have had enough and I am on my way of migrating to something else (no, it's never going to be Microsoft).

Wow, how good was Snow Leopard. When all the features in Leopard came out I couldn't believe it, then they did a quality and speed update with SL. So freaking good. My next favourite after that has been Mojave - for me it was a pretty stellar experience compared with other versions.

I'll still take all of them over a Windows OS!

WhiteHawk

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
After being and still am being annoyed by iOS13 and some of the things I’ve read about this new Mac OS in a few minutes, I’ll be waiting till the new year before updating.

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
I installed on my 2019 15” MBP this evening. Downloaded and installed around 35 minutes. Had to enter my Apple ID more times than I would have liked, but seems to be working well for the short time I’ve used it. Need my reminders app back.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
You are assuming that everyone uses computers for social media/web -like apps, where you _have_ to have updates every week ? Or maybe that everyone fancies newish pay-to-win FPS games ? What about tools/utilities/emulators/games/plugins/drivers/libraries that happen to work perfectly as it is ?

Could you imagine if I forced you to watch Netflix TV series, Marvel's blockbuster movies, Lady Gaga's songs and I made all classic series, movies, and songs inaccessible ?

Stop making excuses for lazy developers.

flexiboy1912

macrumors regular
May 13, 2016
So for lots of users the new music app has a memory leak whilst uploading artwork , mine has crashed about 12 times due to it using all the RAM

Hopefully it will stay up long enough for me to actually use the new app!

Got a call with Apple support tonight because as of now Music app is unusable with my large library on a NAS.

If you start it the App it starts the uploading artwork which you can't stop and then memory goes down till it crashes the system. Now on my 30+ restart of Mac and the Music app in the hope it might actually finish the artwork task.

They knew about artwork issues since early beta releases and still did nothing and released it.

hagjohn

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2006
Pennsylvania
Got a call with Apple support tonight because as of now Music app is unusable with my large library on a NAS.

If you start it the App it starts the uploading artwork which you can't stop and then memory goes down till it crashes the system. Now on my 30+ restart of Mac and the Music app in the hope it might actually finish the artwork task.

They knew about artwork issues since early beta releases and still did nothing and released it.
I noticed that during the beta's, so I took all my music/Movies/TV off my NAS and put them on a Samsung X5 and now I have no issues.

NetCatman

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2012
"But starting Ubuntu 19.10, there will be no support for 32-bit anymore. There is no 32-bit libraries, software and tools. If you are using a 32-bit Ubuntu 19.04, you cannot upgrade to Ubuntu 19.10. There will be no 32-bit option for network install or minimalCD." (Taken directly from the Ubuntu website by me.)

haddy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2012
NZ
After being and still am being annoyed by iOS13 and some of the things I’ve read about this new Mac OS in a few minutes, I’ll be waiting till the new year before updating.
Okay I also felt like you. So I installed 10.15 on a 2TB external SSD and used Migration Assistant to transfer all the stuff to the external drive. Took a while but it has worked and everything seems to be just fine and works as before. It does seem as stable as 10.14.6. At the moment I'm running this iMac from the external...will give it a few days, and if all remains well will install 10.15 on the internal SSD. Catalina seems faster and the sound seems better....I have external speakers USBed to an integrated amp.

grad

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2014
No, Apple are right with their direction. You'll just be left behind with your quirky ancient software that hasn't been updated in god knows how long. Doesn't security mean anything to you?

Who said it was quirky ? And since when software needs to be upgraded every time a company decides it wants to go on with its obsolescence plan ? 64bit x86 CPUs can run 32bit software for a reason. Not everything is a Facebook.app to require updates/upgrades/new features every day as much as not everyone fancies new games/movies/songs/books over old ones. Many things work fine or they do not have alternatives (and they might never get). Don't talk to me about security.

• Sad
Reactions: NetCatman

Lnds500

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2012
Who said it was quirky ? And since when software needs to be upgraded every time a company decides it wants to go on with its obsolescence plan ? 64bit x86 CPUs can run 32bit software for a reason. Not everything is a Facebook.app to require updates/upgrades/new features every day as much as not everyone fancies new games/movies/songs/books over old ones. Many things work fine or they do not have alternatives (and they might never get). Don't talk to me about security.

Ok, but by that same logic you don't need to upgrade to Catalina. You can stay on Mojave. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Haha

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
Well this seems to me that if you install 10.15 you can't go back to 10.14.6 if you want to use your photos.

That would be correct, as I found out that despite my last Time Machine backup having been 10.14.6, the Photos library itself was upgraded.

After upgrading that restore to Catalina then nuking my Photo library and redownloading it, things seem to be working as intended now.

BroncoDog

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2019
Yee gads! Let's put it this way - it is crap. Catalina is a disaster and i dont even have it loaded yet...I tried however... YESTERDAY and all night. Hey listen folks. I am not new at this stuff so when it came time to upgrade I adopted it. Yessiree. and I waited, and I waited and I waited and then this morning it STILL wasn't loaded. So, bingo bango, back to Mojave. At least now I have an OS that actually works. Hey Apple pukes. Call me once you get your collective heads out of your asses and have something I don't have to fight with.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
"But starting Ubuntu 19.10, there will be no support for 32-bit anymore. There is no 32-bit libraries, software and tools. If you are using a 32-bit Ubuntu 19.04, you cannot upgrade to Ubuntu 19.10. There will be no 32-bit option for network install or minimalCD." (Taken directly from the Ubuntu website by me.)
Statement on 32-bit i386 packages for Ubuntu 19.10 and 20.04 LTS:
Thanks to the huge amount of feedback this weekend from gamers, Ubuntu Studio, and the WINE community, we will change our plan and build selected 32-bit i386 packages for Ubuntu 19.10 and 20.04 LTS. ... It has always been our intention to maintain users’ ability to run 32-bit applications on 64-bit Ubuntu – our kernels specifically support that.

No more clean 32-bit version of Ubuntu, something which Apple stopped doing eight years ago (2011) with MacOS Lion. App compatibility is not the issue here.

• Haha

justme1

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2016
Peoria, AZ
Yee gads! Let's put it this way - it is crap. Catalina is a disaster and i dont even have it loaded yet...I tried however... YESTERDAY and all night. Hey listen folks. I am not new at this stuff so when it came time to upgrade I adopted it. Yessiree. and I waited, and I waited and I waited and then this morning it STILL wasn't loaded. So, bingo bango, back to Mojave. At least now I have an OS that actually works. Hey Apple pukes. Call me once you get your collective heads out of your asses and have something I don't have to fight with.

Sorry you couldn't update. Don't know what your problem was, but my update was successfully finished in about 45 minutes.

Cyprusian

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2018
Hmm......it would be quite interesting to know the uptake rate of Catalina at this point, especially compared to Mojave and High Sierra at the same point in the last two years.

Babygotfont

Suspended
May 16, 2016

just keep waiting ... it’ll finish one of these years

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017
I will say this one more time. There is NO column labeled "64 bit" I have "Application name, version, obtained from, last modified" THAT'S IT, nothing more even if I move the columns over. There is NOTHING to the right of Last Modified which is the last column!!!!!
Just a quick update on this: I just upgraded my mac to macOS Catalina and I see what you are saying here. macOS Catalina seems to assume you’re no longer running any 32 bit apps, so the column labeled “64-bit” is no longer shown as part of the ‘applications’ table under software. I guess Apple expected everyone to check for 32 bit apps while still on Mojave and before updating to Catalina.

Reactions: Martyimac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.