Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
I am not Chinese. I like both Hong Kong and China. I have been visiting both places for about 27 years now. Some things are better in Hong Kong and some are better in China. Democracy and freedom is obviously better in Hong Kong. Apple telling TV show creators to avoid angering China is not much different from how US policies are applied in the US either when it comes to middle eastern politics and policies. I think by Apple compromising it is taking a neutral stance because it conducts business in a communist country. This would be no different from which it would be if Apple conducted business in Vietnam either as Vietnam is also communist. There is always some sort of a backlash from somewhere if someone or some group is angered. If someone said something about homosexuals in the US there would also be anger so it’s the same thing.

Reactions: GreginNJ

Regbial

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
Human development is coming from chasing after money and power. That is how human as species progress.

Money and power isn’t such bad thing. No money and no power means as nation you will be bullied around by big countries. Every country should seek more money and more power.
Yikes.

Or, we could talk with each other. And no many developments in tech and medicine for example come from people wanting to better the world and society. Look at the guy who invented Penicilin, he’s saved so many lives and he didn’t patent the thing. What an alien concept to you huh? Empathy for others...

And at some point we have to plateau. Are you a climate change denier? So much “progress” will end up killing us, foolish chasing of money and power will exterminate us. Then you’ll have no country to gloat about.

This mentality of “every country other than my own is my enemy” doesn’t fly too much in 2019, and I’m sorry but it’s a very infantile and ignorant way of thinking. Children who want the sandbox to themselves, rattling plastic swords. “Mine is bigger than yours!” ... ridiculous ?
[automerge]1571258369[/automerge]
Please go read history book and give me proof of when China invaded Hong Kong.

Hong Kong was part of China until UK took over from China with Treaty of Nanking and followed unfair treaty. Then UK handed Hong Kong back on 1997.

In which part of history did China invaded Hong Kong?

Are you just being brainwashed or you are unable to use your “freedom of information” to get correct information?

Assume you are right. People are fighting for their freedom by violence or lethal force, then please don’t complain when police officer or army open fire. You can’t have both way. If you revert to violence, then you should expect police will return the same measure. So next time, if you hear police shoot protestor, please don’t criticize police’s action.

By the way, what do you think about how Spain reacted Catalonia Referendum? As far as I know, Spain pretty much not acknowledging their independent movement and they have tried to arrest the leader.

Also. Apple doesn’t have to care what China think. Apple is free to do whatever they want, but don’t be surprised China retaliate against Apple. Freedom of speech doesn’t mean no consequence for whatever you say, it simply means you can say whatever you want. Freedom of speech doesn’t mean you won’t face any consequences.

[automerge]1571166634[/automerge]

Look at Constitution of Republic or China and tell me that Taiwan is a country?

Be informed. Thanks
Does it ******* matter? JEzuz... “daddy China said this isn’t a country so it MUST be true”

Do you even know what a meritocracy is? Have you studied the concept of “truth”? You should boi...
[automerge]1571258525[/automerge]
To the people of Taiwan, it is a country, to the people of China it isn’t? Who is more valid? Who holds the truth? It is a fragile concept. I say whoever isn’t most aggressive, in this case. (...Taiwan)

And for stupid crap like this people lose their lives and freedom... ridiculous. What an embarrassment... what a sick and turgid world...

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
Yikes.

Or, we could talk with each other. And no many developments in tech and medicine for example come from people wanting to better the world and society. Look at the guy who invented Penicilin, he’s saved so many lives and he didn’t patent the thing. What an alien concept to you huh? Empathy for others...

And at some point we have to plateau. Are you a climate change denier? So much “progress” will end up killing us, foolish chasing of money and power will exterminate us. Then you’ll have no country to gloat about.

This mentality of “every country other than my own is my enemy” doesn’t fly too much in 2019, and I’m sorry but it’s a very infantile and ignorant way of thinking. Children who want the sandbox to themselves, rattling plastic swords. “Mine is bigger than yours!” ... ridiculous ?

Does it ******* matter? JEzuz... “daddy China said this isn’t a country so it MUST be true”

Do you even know what a meritocracy is? Have you studied the concept of “truth”? You should boi...
To the people of Taiwan, it is a country, to the people of China it isn’t? Who is more valid? Who holds the truth? It is a fragile concept. I say whoever isn’t most aggressive, in this case. (...Taiwan)

And for stupid crap like this people lose their lives and freedom... ridiculous. What an embarrassment... what a sick and turgid world...
There are people of Hawaii and Alaska who view Hawaii and Alaska as a country or state. Chinese once told the US "The day you allow Hawaii and Alaska to become independent we will allow Taiwan to become independent".

Reactions: Regbial

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
Yikes.

I am not climate change denier. But I also oppose carbon tax, I am for building new pipelines and taking care coal workers. I don’t believe in green energy, as far as right now, they are just very inefficient and costly.

World is more greedier than you could think of. Money and power is ultimately the thing we must to hold if one doesn’t want to be bullied.

China didn’t not have power before, western power invaded China. China doesn’t have power before, Japanese killed 300,000 people. Iraq did not have power, US decided to invade Iraq, loom what Iraq now?

One can ONLY defend himself/herself if strong enough m. One country can only defend itself, if it has great military power.

Regarding with Taiwan. Both Republic of China and People’s Republic of China doesn’t recognize Taiwan as a county itself. It is not people in Taiwan get decide if they want independent, whole Chinese people would need agree. If people in Taiwan doesn’t like this way, then they can go find a pice of land and resettle over there. We Chinese will never agree with Taiwan independence. Taiwan independence means all out war.

In United States, constitution doesn’t even allow state conceded from the United States. Tell me why Lincoln went all out war with South? Why not let South independent? Tell me why Spain doesn’t recognize Catalonia independent?

Regbial

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
There are people of Hawaii and Alaska who view Hawaii and Alaska as a country or state. Chinese once told the US "The day you allow Hawaii and Alaska to become independent we will allow Taiwan to become independent".
interesting... ? well, as I said, US and China are two sticks from the same branch.. maybe they should let go of those states.. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
[automerge]1571317677[/automerge]
Tell me why Spain doesn’t recognize Catalonia independent?
same stupid reason
Why not let South independent?
Racism.
World is more greedier than you could think of. Money and power is ultimately the thing we must to hold if one doesn’t want to be bullied.
What is this obsession with being bullied? ...it's kind of sad at this point. Slightly disconcerting. And just because you repeat something over and over doesn't make it right or true.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
I was walking in Ningbo tonight when I came across two police officers. I stopped to ask for some directions and asked them in Mandarin. The officers were amazed at how my Mandarin was. They said it was the best they encountered on duty. I think it is good though but not great. His first question was where I learned to speak Mandarin and I said Taiwan. They both then asked if I thought Taiwan was a part of China or not. One of the officers then said "Of course it is and always will be". I then said you are Chinese but you can not say that you are not Asian right just like Koreans, Japanese, Singaporeans and others are Asians as well, right? He said yes of course we are Asians. I said people from Taiwan are also Asians and just like they are from Taiwan they are both Chinese and Asians but they are from Taiwan, right?? He said I never thought about it that way..You have a great point. After a 5 minute conversation both their opinions changed.

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)
What I would think is China will then immediately close its border and start a war against the entire world, maybe with Russia. Given what happens in USA right now, I am afraid that the western world will fail to ally together and hold off China’s full on invasion with Russia.
1.4 billion people mind controlled by Chinese communist party is a force to reckon with by any measure. I doubt western world wants to see that happen.
No way China would win a war against NATO.
And no way China, who totally depends on exports, will declare such a war... just because Apple left the Chinese market.

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)
Sounds great in theory. Where will Apple make their products? They can’t just leave China immediately, it will take years. If Apple angers China, the Chinese government could seize all Apple assets in China. They could completely destroy Apple. Is that better than Apple playing nice while working on their exit strategy? Is leaving better than staying and continuing to have American influence in the country?
I know what are you saying, but you have to stand for something. How can Tim Cook speak about privacy as a company valore after this ?

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
If you assemble, in China, you have to walk the a thin line who to anger. Either than who straight out say "All products are now made, and assembled in U.S" This might be possible give or take 5 to 10 years..

And if it does, only when it does, can Apple call it 'privacy'

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.