Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Osamede

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2009
Awful attempt at mis-summary. Better to talk about the issues raised.

JagdTiger

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2017

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
No issues were raised except that she didn't want to pay the quoted repair price.

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA
"Apple could repair it, the Genius said, but it would cost at least $600 (£460) and take weeks; in the end, it would be cheaper just to buy a new one. So, with a lot of grumbling, that is what I did. "

Seriously....how is the author any better? $600 was too much to pay to help save the environment? Better yet, why wasn't she thinking about the environment when she opted to not buy Apple Care?

Take some personal responsibility, maybe?

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Total non sequitur. What does computer repair or not repair have to do with the environment? If the author brought a new computer, she could recycle her old computer or dump it in the trash. That's HER choice, not Apple's. She makes it sound as if Apple is dumping these broken Mac in some giant landfill.:rolleyes: If they are, someone tell me where. That's a veritable gold mine...literally.:cool: Extracting gold from circuit boards nets more gold than the same amount of gold ore.

JagdTiger

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2017
"Apple could repair it, the Genius said, but it would cost at least $600 (£460) and take weeks; in the end, it would be cheaper just to buy a new one. So, with a lot of grumbling, that is what I did. "

Seriously....how is the author any better? $600 was too much to pay to help save the environment? Better yet, why wasn't she thinking about the environment when she opted to not buy Apple Care?

Take some personal responsibility, maybe?
It is if the person(s) doesn’t have the money for repairs.

Reactions: PC_tech

benshive

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2017
United States
The rep told her there had been an electrical failure. My guess is they needed to replace the motherboard. That's not a cheap repair. I don't see the connection to the company's public stance on protecting the environment.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
To be fair, Apple says it cares about the climate. So, they make their products with recycled stuff. Apple does not say it cares about repairability. So the consumer pays through the nose and a kidney (in some places on earth) to get their notebooks repaired when they need. ;)

ruka.snow

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
Scotland
The busted notebook can be recycled at the same store the new laptop was bought. Repairability is irrelevant to the environment, especially when you turn down the repair and opt for a new machine.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
The force field is beginning to wear thin:

The company’s CEO waxes lyrical about the urgent threat to our environment, but it makes fixing its products prohibitively expensive
https://www.theguardian.com/technol...imate-crisis-so-why-does-it-charge-so-much-to

lol...Only Apple can answer that question. What goes in is better than how much it costs i think..

I want a devices to be recycled... not always cheap.

Plus, if cost is an issue,you can "Apple trade in" to your updated device.. Its not all about cost

Reactions: StyxMaker
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.