Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
An interesting analysis. Question though. Why would you care whether anyone that can afford a luxury product like a Mac Pro is paying more in taxes to own said luxury item. Aren’t they definitionally rich and shouldn’t they definitionally be expected to pay more tax in order to pay their fair share?
Sorry, you’re going to have to help me understand your question and how taxes connect to my comment...

Chazz08

Cancelled
Dec 4, 2012
Why? If it could be made in China for cheaper and the US is at full employment?

It's Econ 101.

Well, at least the factory in Texas is already employed, so that's adding to the "full" employment you reference. It's already being used to produce the current Mac Pro. It might not be fully employed since most people are probably waiting for the next Mac Pro.

steve333

macrumors 65816
Dec 12, 2008
Now about the Mini.....
I wasn't thrilled that my overpriced computer was sent to me from Shenzen, China

tripmusic

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Switzerland
Not sure why this is important to manufucture in the US? A tiny product like this isn't really going to help raise employment levels in the US.
What if other tech companies start manufacturing just one of their tiny products in the US? Don't you think that might start making a difference?

pertusis1

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2010
Texas
I wonder how long it'll take before we can have a Mac Pro thread that isn't full of sour grapes about the cost. It's not that poor people can't have it and rich people can. Granted, there will be wealthy people who buy it just because they can. The vast majority of people who buy this are going to be people who spend money on things like:

Auto CAD Mac - $185/month or $1470/yr.
Gemini 5K S35 video camera - $25,000
CryEngine - $1.2 million (ok, so there may not be many of those)
Renderware SDK - $240,000
Adobe Font Folio - $3000

They are going to be people who spend 40+ hours per week on their computers, for whom small speed bumps translate to substantial time savings doing projects for paying customers. Think about it! Many of these computers will see over 6,000 hours of professional work time before becoming obsolete. $2-3 per hour for a high-end professional tool is not prohibitive at all.

I get the feeling that most of us here in the forums are like me. We picked up a used 4,1 or 5,1, modified it as we had the money, love the machine we built, and are lamenting that we can't afford it's descendent. Take courage, my friends! The 7,1 will hit the refurbished market, and eventually the used market, where we can start picking them up, browsing Netkas forums, fighting over whether MVC upgrades are worth it, and coaching each other through foolish self-guided upgrades where we permanently bend the pins.

Patience, my friends...

ani4ani

Cancelled
May 4, 2012
I think my biggest question is how the blooody heck has this device not already entered production?

5 years in the making. Announced 3 months ago, and they still haven't started manufacturing... That's a massive supply chain failure.

It takes time to recruit 10 semi-skilled assembly folks!

• Haha
Reactions: LordVic

sidewinder3000

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2010
Chicagoland
Not sure why this is important to manufucture in the US? A tiny product like this isn't really going to help raise employment levels in the US.
What a sensitive and thoughtful post. I’m sure the hundreds of people who are part of the team that makes the Mac Pro in Austin, and their families, would disagree.

Reactions: PC_tech

beaker7

Cancelled
Mar 16, 2009
What a sensitive and thoughtful post. I’m sure the hundreds of people who are part of the team that makes the Mac Pro in Austin, and their families, would disagree.

Considering the sales numbers there can’t be more than 3-5 people making the TrashCan.

BOOMBA

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2001
Has anyone other modern Apple product other than the Mac Pro been assembled in the US?
Probably "recent" would be a better word than "modern", as the Mac Pro is still not spec'd to be a current top of the line graphics machine.

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2018
Pop quiz: at what point in this chart was Trump elected?

View attachment 862585
It doesn't help that Obama removed the people not actively looking for work while being unemployed from the unemployment number, so please spare me. It looks like unemployment goes up during election years and the year prior though and if you correlate the data to things such as 9/11, the housing market crashed (Caused by people not being able to afford their mortgage but lenders still lending), etc., you get a better picture.

Here's a more accurate chart WITH SOURCE:

1569330618800.png

[automerge]1569330783[/automerge]
Yes.

It's funny because all the anti-Trump people can only blame themselves for Trump's 2020 win that will occur.
[automerge]1569330879[/automerge]
There isn't a long-term plan to move manufacturing to the US. The US is much better at designing these products and writing the software that runs on them, which is far more valuable. It is a mystery why we are so obsessed with wanting low-skilled, low-paid manufacturing jobs back with horrible working conditions.
It's this attitude that is the reason there are lots of low-skilled workers that are unemployed.

Not everybody is a skilled worker, nor do all non-skilled workers deserve a high-paid job. Get a skill and make yourself worth more.

Until then, getting a "low skilled" manufacturing job can open doors, much bigger doors than can, lets say, McDonalds.

We have laws here that prevent horrible working conditions, unfortunately liberal companies (Such as Amazon and Apple) always seem to evade them, whether stateside or overseas.

Reactions: PC_tech

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
I don't think China cares about small run items. They only care about the mass items.

The iPhone employs like half a million Chinese people.

To make an iPhone in the US would also raise the prices drastically, so US manufacturing isn't something that should be looked forward to or encouraged.

If China can make a product for cheaper, LET THEM.

Sure, let's destroy the Chinese environment and people because with automation the major difference in product cost is the lack of government regulations, not labor.

xnu

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2004
You are tipping your hat to "a supply chain" guy, whose flagship top of the line machine is due to start shipping in 9 weeks and they haven't even started production. Regardless of how many they make, the factory should be churning out test units so they can find any glitches or problems that may occur if production needs to be ramped up.
I only tipped my hat. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Why do I have some conspiracy that Apple planned this all along? They probably wanted to do all of this to fight the tariffs on other products.

Vjosullivan

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2013
It’s symbolic to China that the USA can influence one the wealthiest companies in the world to not manufacture an item in China.
"Assemble" (from imported Chinese components) rather than manufacture would be a better description. And it's telling that it's only possible by actually removing the very tariffs that were supposed to force companies to manufacture in the US.

jscooper22

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2013
Syracuse, NY
Great, some parts from US suppliers, and some are from China et al, but like cars, does it really matter where they're all put together? My and my wife's cars are both Hondas. Mine was assembled in Ohio, hers in Canada someplace, and my coworker's Ford was built in Mexico. I'm sure they all have parts from all over the place; the finally assembly line may have bragging rights but that's it; the net economic benefit is negligible -- unless you're one of the handful who got a job working on THAT particular line of course.

Last edited:

Dozer_Zaibatsu

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2006
North America
There isn't a long-term plan to move manufacturing to the US. The US is much better at designing these products and writing the software that runs on them, which is far more valuable. It is a mystery why we are so obsessed with wanting low-skilled, low-paid manufacturing jobs back with horrible working conditions.

Manufactured goods are so cheap in China because they have so much cheap manpower to throw at it. As well as less-stated things like questionable working conditions, questionable respect of IP, and if you've ever purchased anything electronic off Amazon lately, definitely a lot of questionable quality.

I'm interested where automated 3-D printing and C&C machines come for the near future. Manufacturing jobs may come back, they may pay extremely well, but that may only be because it'll be less people operating complicated machinery to do all this. But even a few jobs here and there and a higher cost may be worth it for other reasons.

It's maybe a bit of a long-term stretch. But I'm starting to wonder if this shouldn't be a national security threat. I'm watching what's happening in Hong Kong, and in China in general with the "social credit" system, and I'm already wondering if we shouldn't be spending what it costs so that all of our electronic based infrastructure is not seemingly sourced entirely from China. I already would refuse to purchase anything from Huawei. Do I trust Lenovo? To what degree will Silicon Valley allow China to twist arms to allow backdoors in their systems? (I'm looking at you, too, Canonical…)

Reactions: pertusis1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.