Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JagdTiger

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2017
Since 2001, right wing extremists have been responsible for almost 3x the number of terrorist attacks in the U.S. versus Islamic extremists. So the first order of business in the United States if you supported banning people for public safety reasons should logically be right wing extremists.
How do you know they are right winged? because the mainstream press tells you this?, could they be left winged?...it has been said a lot that of that violence came from people on neuroleptic drugs.

IIGS User

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2019
All my Apple stuff is new enough to wait it out for a while. Most my most recent purchases were below my usual Expectations for quality. So I purchased with my AMEX for the double length warranty (AppleCare is an overpriced waste, IMHO) and have more than a year left on all my stuffs.

by the time I’m in a buying mood again, this will be resolved one way or another. Passing it along to the consumer wont work. People have all ready shown their aers when it comes to $1,000 telephones. Those days are pretty much over.

I see Apple eating the difference to maintain market share to drive more people to their service offerings. That’s where the next cash cow lives..

Marekul

Suspended
Jan 2, 2018
Still proves your original comment that they “completely” moved out of China as false. And that doesn’t include component purchases that end up in a device, even if the final device is assembled outside of China.

I laugh at the hypocrisy in this thread about China when people are posting messages using computers that were either made in China or have parts from China. Why don’t you all go through your house and throw out everything from China and see what you’re left with.

Then you can lecture companies about where they make things.

So by that logic - i must get rid of all apple products before i am allowed to complain about apple? Or i must move out of my country before i am allowed to complain about politics? Or dump my car before being allowed to complain about traffic?

Reactions: kis

realtuner

Suspended
Mar 8, 2019
Canada
So by that logic - i must get rid of all apple products before i am allowed to complain about apple? Or i must move out of my country before i am allowed to complain about politics? Or dump my car before being allowed to complain about traffic?
Never said that. Just calling out the hypocrites.

kis

Suspended
Aug 10, 2007
Switzerland
Still proves your original comment that they “completely” moved out of China as false. And that doesn’t include component purchases that end up in a device, even if the final device is assembled outside of China.

I laugh at the hypocrisy in this thread about China when people are posting messages using computers that were either made in China or have parts from China. Why don’t you all go through your house and throw out everything from China and see what you’re left with.

Then you can lecture companies about where they make things.

There’s zero justification that Apple still produces in a country where human rights count nothing and that’s led by an evil dictatorship which extends its tentacles into every single one of the Chinese businesses. And Apple continue their brown-nosing efforts by torpedoing freedom of speech efforts in Hong Kong.

Last edited by a moderator:

iMi

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
I would like a “waver” on the products I am importing. Where do I sign up?

Onelifenofear

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2019
London
The idea, Tim, is that you should be offshoring your production from China to a country that is less inclined to steal your intellectual property and more inclined to support free trade agreements in general. I‘m pretty sure that there are other countries other than China too with Universities that you can join as a director. Get with the program. Be an American.

America doesn't have the workforce skillset, Tooling experts or education system that allows for targeted learning. It's not that American education is bad but it's broad and slow.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
There’s zero justification that Apple still produces in a country where human rights count nothing and that’s led by an evil dictatorship which extends its tentacles into every single one of the Chinese businesses. And Apple continue their brown-nosing efforts by torpedoing freedom of speech efforts in Hong Kong.

That's a fine stand. Have you backed that up by taking personal responsibility refusing to purchase any products manufactured in China?

JagdTiger

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2017
America doesn't have the workforce skillset, Tooling experts or education system that allows for targeted learning. It's not that American education is bad but it's broad and slow.
The politicians fault but also the union workers because they were given broken promises by both parties which reneged on any deals.
[automerge]1572795531[/automerge]
Yea, that would be the political correct way to do it.

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA
Apple is a well run company. Just posted their latest financials with almost 40% profit margin. Yet they are requesting relief on tariffs. A well run fortune 500 company doesn't need relief, they should stand by their American values and take a hit. Trump already recognized companies like Samsung will have the advantage as a foreign company in the same market, and will do something to level the playing field.

beaker7

Cancelled
Mar 16, 2009
Apple is a well run company. Just posted their latest financials with almost 40% profit margin. Yet they are requesting relief on tariffs. A well run fortune 500 company doesn't need relief, they should stand by their American values and take a hit. Trump already recognized companies like Samsung will have the advantage as a foreign company in the same market, and will do something to level the playing field.

Why should Apple sacrifice themselves to pay for Trump’s economic policy?

kis

Suspended
Aug 10, 2007
Switzerland
That's a fine stand. Have you backed that up by taking personal responsibility refusing to purchase any products manufactured in China?

As a matter of fact, I avoid Chinese products whenever possible. My garage door motor is made in Spain, my alarm system in Tunisia, none of my clothes are made in China, my TV is made in Poland, my shoes are Italian, my car is made in Canada, none of my furniture is from China either. Coming to think of it, I actually don’t own a lot of Chinese products - except those made by Apple.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Why should Apple sacrifice themselves to pay for Trump’s economic policy?

Exactly. People think Apple's 38% "profit" goes right into the bank. But that's gross profit margin (GPM). Apple's net profit margin, after operating expenses (employee payroll and benefits, rents, utilities, marketing, maintenance, insurance, legal, and on and on) and federal/state/local taxes, is around 20%.

Compare that 20% NPM to the tariffs and you'll see why eventually they're usually passed on to the consumer. It's a hidden tax that goes straight to the US Treasury. And the US debt, now at >$23 trillion continues to climb.

The current US tariffs are terrible economic "policy."

kis

Suspended
Aug 10, 2007
Switzerland
Exactly. People think Apple's 38% "profit" goes right into the bank. But that's gross profit margin (GPM). Apple's net profit margin, after operating expenses (employee payroll and benefits, rents, utilities, marketing, maintenance, insurance, legal, and on and on) and federal/state/local taxes, is around 20%.

Compare that 20% NPM to the tariffs and you'll see why eventually they're usually passed on to the consumer. It's a hidden tax that goes straight to the US Treasury. And the US debt, now at >$23 trillion continues to climb.

The current US tariffs are terrible economic "policy."

Why should Apple pay for this? The American population voted Trump into office and large parts of it still supports the guy - so Apple should pass the price hikes on to the American consumer. Why? Because otherwise people simply don't realise what it means to have someone like Trump for their president.

beaker7

Cancelled
Mar 16, 2009
Why should Apple pay for this? The American population voted Trump into office and large parts of it still supports the guy - so Apple should pass the price hikes on to the American consumer. Why? Because otherwise people simply don't realise what it means to have someone like Trump for their president.

It should be added as a line item on the invoice. Transparency is best.

Reactions: thasan and kis

Brandhouse

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2014
I think that's because a lot of people have an aversion to facts.

Maybe it's more to do with The Great Idiot Leader with his, "great and unmatched wisdom" is actually starting to kill your economy, let alone the rest of the world's. But the MAGA zombies can't see beyond their blind subservience.

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
The only people paying the price of tariffs are ultimately the consumers.
You can delude yourselves otherwise if you want, but it will not change the outcome.

Reactions: thasan

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Maybe it's more to do with The Great Idiot Leader with his, "great and unmatched wisdom" is actually starting to kill your economy, let alone the rest of the world's. But the MAGA zombies can't see beyond their blind subservience.

Absolutely no disagreement there.

Reactions: kis and thasan

thasan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
Germany
Well with the average time a person uses their phone (3 years), and with great 0% financing options, i sure would and not play games with countries who steal IP and oppress their people. There’s your 3x’s the price.

So you never buy anything from china cause they oppress their people? Unless you live in a cave, thats nearly impossible these days.

Reactions: Brandhouse

predation

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2013
So you never buy anything from china cause they oppress their people? Unless you live in a cave, thats nearly impossible these days.
Of course it’s impossible in this day in age of globalization, but when I can, I do. ??‍♂️
Some of you guys are so literal and myopic.

Last edited:
Reactions: kis
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.