Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frostiex

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2010
Calgary
Let's be clear. It is really to think China = CPC (communist Party of China). But in reality China had been called china Since AD771. So in reality, CPC is just a brief 70years of governing "China". Their actions are despicable to say the least, I love China's rich history and contributed a lot to human race advancement. But the CPC have really taken this achievement backwards!

Reactions: Ian4Mac

Mansu944

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2012
Your sinophobia is despicable. We Europeans have had our fair share of your Five Eyes, Echelon, XKeyScore and other kinds of espionage, and nothing of the kind fom China. I trust Tencent way more than Facebook or Google, evil and malicious American companies who would sell your grandmother for dollars if they could.

By the way: China is not communist other than by name. Private companies are not part of the state, less so the government. Hey, I saw Tim Apple speaking with Obama, he must be part of the gubmint.
you are sooooooooooooooo wrong

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
It might be time for you to educate yourself regarding world history regarding totalitarian governments in Asia and Europe and as far as the current U.S. leader... that one who has helped orchestrate the best economy in the world over the last couple years... lowest unemployment in fifty years... lowest ever recorded for minorities and among the lowest ever for women, highest stock market value ever, national energy independence, best economic growth in decades... and someone doing everything possible to remove military from overseas involvement created by others in the past.... After decades of stagnant economics and questionable dangerous foreign policies... things have finally started to look great again.

Oh dear - oh dear oh dear. Apart from the fact that you're on the way into recession and most of the good stuff is happening because of Obama and your deficit has hugely increased because of the massive tax cuts given to the rich. I think you might be drinking the Fox News cool aid a bit too much, try perhaps more fact based independent sources, which I know are difficult in America as your media is more biased than China and we're all baffled in Europe by it.

You're currently the laughing stock of the world mate. Laughing stock of the world and you don't even realise it, joke of country. Make American hilarious to everyone else, again.

[automerge]1571075766[/automerge]
think of it this way...there are no Chinese companies, they are all part of the government. Communist government.

Absolute bollocks.

Last edited:

sledgehammer89

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2009
If they really care about privacy, they would give us self-hosted iCloud servers, where photo management works like in iCloud, but on my own Server.

Reactions: Marekul

Marekul

Suspended
Jan 2, 2018
Kid A was almost named No Logo, so it’s wild that someone using an element of its artwork would trust a brand so freely.
[automerge]1571057159[/automerge]

That’s a lot of data to host locally, and it would need to update very frequently. Orchestrating updates to millions of devices would be a headache - the current approach is the least complicated. All they need to do is scrub identifying information on the request before forwarding it.

Apple could act as a proxy. But they have about 12 billion reasons not to...

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
"Apple claims to take privacy seriously, but then they send user data to some Chinese company... bloody hypocrites!"

It's capitulation to the repressive Chinese government is quite bad, but let's expand upon that comment a bit...

"Apple claims to take privacy seriously, but then they send user data to Google... bloody hypocrites!"

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
False advertising
dwgoq2uv4aa_aov-jpg-large-jpeg.869421
You’ve shown that you don’t really understand the topic of this thread. Why don’t we see what the person I asked has to say?

hans1972

macrumors 68040
Apr 5, 2010
Apple never truly cared about privacy or they wouldn’t allow every app to have a billion different tracking snippets built into it. Look how many Instagram and Facebook requests I have within minutes even tho I have neither app installed

You do know that other applications can contact Facebook, Instagram and Google?
Every app on your phone can basically contact any server on the Internet.
[automerge]1571083535[/automerge]
Why doesn't apple have the list of fraudulent web sites downloaded to the device and have the checks done locally on the device instead of remotely on some server owned by google or some chinese company. This doesn't sound like "what happens on your iPhone stays on your iPhone".

The entire list would be huge, so to save space they only have a partial list. All the checking is done locally.

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
You do know that other applications can contact Facebook, Instagram and Google?
Every app on your phone can basically contact any server on the Internet.
[automerge]1571083535[/automerge]

The entire list would be huge, so to save space they only have a partial list. All the checking is done locally.

that’s why I said Apple doesn’t care or they would not allow these apps (basically any) at the store using those sdks

hans1972

macrumors 68040
Apr 5, 2010
Google sells your data to advertisers. Tenecent is a company operating under the heavy thumb of China's communist government (link). Yeah, I'd say there's just a bit of a difference there

To me advertising is worse, so Google is worse than Tenecent for me.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
If a Chinese government owned company is getting my user data I will NEVER buy another apple product again.

if you live outside of China you don’t have to worry about this. Locally they also have Cyberattacks to fight and deal with everyday. They say a million happen on a daily basis without being able to check IP addresses they won’t know who is hacking. US banks,US security companies like E*trade and others along with US government websites also do the same thing.

Google and Amazon get your data in the US and so does Microsoft. Amazon shares your Ring surveillance videos with local law enforcement agencies.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
After it is done clear your website data/history along with history and use Safari to login to whom ever you bank with in the US then let me know how that went.
After it is done clear your website data/history along with history and use Safari to login to whom ever you bank with in the US then let me know how that went. Normally this would create a security alert from your bank.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
No, you are a fool not to see the bigger picture here. Private companies in China follow Chinese law in China, just as they follow local law anywhere. It doesn't mean they ARE the government.

The attack on Huawei is just a scapegoat to block competition and derail free trade, along with the whole trade war. Containment of China is the new US policy, a cold tech war if you will. My bets are not on the US this time.

You're either a fool or a mainland Chinese because your talking points are exactly what CCP propaganda taught their bots to use to counter any criticism of CCP but as you can see it will never work.
[automerge]1571098310[/automerge]
Safe browsing always has been a privacy issue. Who cares if it's Tencent or google? Like any of those is respecting privacy...

At least the following settings need to be disabled if you're into privacy:
  • Safe Browsing/Fraud-Checking/... => sends out at least the domain, possibly the entire URL to google, microsoft, apple,... However, for not so tech savy people, it's better to sacrifice some privacy for security.
  • Search Suggestions => sends everything you type in the URL-bar to the search provider in real time.
    • If possible, split URL-Field from Search Field.
  • Pre-Loading of Links => for obvious reasons

I thought that was Siri‘s. Do you have any link to explain this in details?

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Why doesn't apple have the list of fraudulent web sites downloaded to the device and have the checks done locally on the device instead of remotely on some server owned by google or some chinese company. This doesn't sound like "what happens on your iPhone stays on your iPhone".
So browsing the Internet stays on your phone? That doesn’t track.

rgbrock1

Suspended
Feb 1, 2016
SC
It is a bit premature to suggest that user data is sent to China (as written in the headline). Is there any evidence that devices from outside of China access Tencent’s servers (and if so, where are these servers located?)?

That’s unavoidable if the connection is made from the device to Google’s servers directly. The only way to avoid this is by putting a server in-between, e.g. a server maintained by Apple.

Or by using a VPN client.
[automerge]1571144185[/automerge]
It's for everyone and there's nothing unsafe about sending data to Google.

There's nothing unsafe about sending data to Google? Bwaaa haaaa haaaaa. Surely you jest.
Hey, I have a bridge for sale in Arizona. Interested?

rgbrock1

Suspended
Feb 1, 2016
SC
Erm, that's quite a bold claim.

If you didn't have China in your life you'd not have a very good life currently considering everything from every manufacturer is built there. Not to mention they have some fantastic companies like QNAP who make the best NAS systems I won't be giving up anytime soon.

As someone in Europe, with the nut you've got at the helm, America are a far more dangerous entity to world peace at the minute and are currently doing just as many disgusting domestic things.

Ahhh, a European-based America basher. What a novelty.

Can you point out where in the U.S. a single concentration camp is located? No, I didn't think so.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Follow the money.....Apple could run their own servers with fraudulent websites but they send the request to Google. FOLLOW THE MONEY
Apple sells the data to Google to be mined.
What’s your source that Google is mining individual user data?

rgbrock1

Suspended
Feb 1, 2016
SC
What is unsafe about using google.com? I swear some people need to take off the tinfoil hats.

What are your issues with Google?

Correct, there is nothing unsafe about using google.com. However, if you don't mind Google knowing which websites you've visited, how long you visited them and how often you do, coupled with knowing where you've gone, how long you were there, how many stops you made between point A and point B, where you've gone on vacation, what you did and how long you did it, then it's a no-brainer, right?
[automerge]1571144976[/automerge]
What’s your source that Google is mining individual user data?

Asking this question shows that you need to get out more. You've got to be kidding, right?

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Just to be clear:

1. The Tencent safe browsing list is only used in mainland China.
2. Anywhere else, Safari periodically downloads a list of bad websites from Google.
3. Hashed websites are compared to the list that was downloaded to your individual device.
4. The sites you visit aren't sent to Google through this feature.
5. Because Safari requests the lists directly from Google, they do see your IP address when your device checks for a new list.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Just to be clear:

1. The Tencent safe browsing list is only used in mainland China.
2. Anywhere else, Safari periodically downloads a list of bad websites from Google.
3. Hashed websites are compared to the list that was downloaded to your individual device.
4. The sites you visit aren't sent to Google through this feature.
5. Because Safari requests the lists directly from Google, they do see your IP address when your device checks for a new list.
So the only thing google sees is your IP address?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.