Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OkiRun

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2019
Japan
Hmm, id love to have.

Buut, i doubt its that much of a performance increase for Audio work over my 2013 trashcan for the price, which would be a big wallet hit even though I work as a professional. Guessing ill be waiting a few years until Other World Computing start selling used units.
10 years ago, it was quite difficult to find music to license for our shows, movies, commercials, etc. Today... dang! There is so much competition among creative musicians - and I think computers and software like those sold by Apple has fueled a creative bonanza in the audio field. It's certainly great for my company.

Reactions: Reed Black12

Billrey

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2010
Copenhagen
It's not about whether Apple supports Nvidia, it's that Nvidia is planning on stopping support for CUDA on MacOS in the next version. Nvidia has the ability to support Drivers and CUDA on MacOS if it wants too.

AFAIK nVidia don’t actually have that ability. Third party GPU drivers were blocked in Mojave. Apple could itself easily port Metal to nVidia if it wanted to.

i suspectone of the reasons Apple doesn’t want nVidia, is due to a power struggle. It’s in Apple’s interest to kneecap CUDA, so the industry doesn’t become reliant on nVidia, which would put Apple in a weaker position to negotiate deals and pricing. If it can get the industry to adopt Metal, that would put Apple in a position of strength.

rylim

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2017
Typically what is the life cycle of a Mac Pro? Will it be cycled every year or every 3 years? I remember the last update was 6 years ago.

Regarding the PCI-E Gen x3 on the new Mac Pro, should I be worry about it since the latest technology is Gen x4.

I can’t wait to buy the Mac Pro, but the Gen x3 is something that bother me. I just want to buy a Mac Pro that kind of future proof and will last me more than 5 years due to the high price tag

pertusis1

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2010
Texas
I feel like that display is going to be quickly outdated with better tech for much less and probably not that long from now, especially if the rumors of micro LED MacBooks and iPads come to pass.
I'm reading this forum on a 30" ACD. When it came out in 2004, it was $3299. That's $4,500 in today's dollars, although it did come with a stand. I think mine is from about 2009, and I paid $450 for it in 2013. I can't believe how good it still looks. I have two, and neither has a single solitary missing pixel. My guess is that if you just buy the monitor and use it, you'll love it for many years.

OkiRun

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2019
Japan
I don’t personally have an issue with the price but there are plenty of research groups and students at major graduate universities who do cutting edge science and engineering work that need a powerful machine for scientific computing work. Unlike commercial users they don’t have large budgets where they can justify buying such a computer.
I noticed that on an OIST 2018 administrative meeting minutes, a proposal was made to purchase all graduate students MacBook Pros.

Billrey

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2010
Copenhagen
Why is everyone so upset.

Because many pros actually can’t afford or justify $12,000. Even if you are pro, you still have a budget.
And when you look at what performance you could get for maybe $4-5,000 Linux machine with 32 cores and multiple high end GPU’s, the $12,000 is just going to be a hard sell for people in my field, which uses little to no Mac-specific software.

Reactions: Marekul

Kettil

macrumors member
May 31, 2011
The concern here is if you don't want an integrated display, your only other option is a Mac mini, which is a sealed box (apart from the ram). It feels like there should be something between the $800 mini and the $6000 Pro.
The maxed out Mac Mini is $3,099...

Reactions: OkiRun

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Because many pros actually can’t afford or justify $12,000. Even if you are pro, you still have a budget.
And when you look at what performance you could get for maybe $4-5,000 Linux machine with 32 cores and multiple high end GPU’s, the $12,000 is just going to be a hard sell for people in my field, which uses little to no Mac-specific software.
if you can get the job done while spending less money, that should make you happy, not upset you.

jinnyman

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2011
Lincolnshire, IL
How can someone compare MPX module with PC counterparts?
MPX module is one of those Apple marketing gimmick that Apple has created as problem in search for problem. Don't tell me MPX module slot is something special and has godly Apple quality in it. It's just goddamn PCI 3.0 slot with integrated power feeder.

Bandwidth wise, a simple PICe 4.0 slot now appearing kills MPX.

And you know what? that proprietary power feeder is one reason that everybody should be angry about. I can't believe Apple dares to market MP 7,1 as a true professional model when they are using a proprietary power supply. Good luck to all those money burners. after care period is over, you'd have fun time fixing more than 20k machine with makeshift cables and tape.

falainber

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2016
Wild West
I wouldn’t call it the norm. I had, or was assigned, many engineering workstations over the years, and none had two sockets since the days when AMD introduced opteron with two cores. It’s been a long time since multi-socket was the norm for workstations
While not all workstation offer dual sockets, the high end ones (from Lenovo, Dell, HP, Supermicro, ASUS etc.) definitely have dual socket configurations. They offer 2x CPUs and up to 2x (3TB) RAM configurations compared to Mac Pro.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
The thing doubled in price with a single generation. That is not even close to being explainable by inflation.

It doesn't need to be explained. It is what it is.

If you'd don't need it, can't afford it, whatever...simple, don't purchase it.

If you need/want it, for whatever reason, and can afford it, simply purchase it.

Macpro2019

Suspended
Jun 7, 2019
Hurry up with december 10.
[automerge]1575857631[/automerge]
Any prosumers crying about the costs

<------------------ mac mini forum that way
imac forum that way ----------------------------------------------->

Deal with it , Tim Crook knows what's best for you
Until Apples Steve Balmer quits or gets the sack Apples just pricing it's customers out.
How dare I want a tower mac with propper cooling.
This would teach prosumer a lesson...what lesson, you say? To stop them from thinking that they need a pro computer.

jinnyman

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2011
Lincolnshire, IL
Basically, everyone is telling to the people criticizing MP 7,1 that either accept at whatever price level Apple is throwing at it or leave, fine.

When BTO price is open, don't say the price is high. no matter what price tag Apple put, "real" professionals will get it right? Good luck.

Reed Black12

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2019
Typically what is the life cycle of a Mac Pro? Will it be cycled every year or every 3 years? I remember the last update was 6 years ago.

Regarding the PCI-E Gen x3 on the new Mac Pro, should I be worry about it since the latest technology is Gen x4.

I can’t wait to buy the Mac Pro, but the Gen x3 is something that bother me. I just want to buy a Mac Pro that kind of future proof and will last me more than 5 years due to the high price tag
Dude, OF COURSE this machine is future proof! That’s the whole point of the build. I still have a 2009 Mac Pro tower, a 2009 MacBook Pro, and a 2013 Mac Pro and they all run fine. So it’s safe to say that this system should be scalable for at least 8-10 years!! You’ll be fine. I can’t wait to finally up grade my desktop and laptop. pumped!

Reactions: OkiRun

jlocker

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2011
Lake Michigan
I alway say if you want something from Apple you got to use the Apple feedback page. If you want a Mac Mini Pro, you got to ask for it. People did not like the MacBook Pro keyboard, they fixed it, People wanted better cooling for the MacBook Pro and they did it. They wanted a bigger screen, like the old 17in MacBook Pro and they did it. The AMD 5500 mobile chip is fantastic, i am running borderlands 3 at 70fps.

The new Macbook Pro 16 is a killer laptop. If my job required it I would get a new Mac Pro to do the job without a question.

mannyvel

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2019
Hillsboro, OR
I just checked, and I paid $6500 for my SE/30 back in the day. And that didn't include the cost of my rasterops video card and the subsequent ethernet card. Unreal. I still have that guy on my shelf. I made a ton of money with that guy back in the day.

Lalatoon

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2019
Expansion Slots
Eight PCI Express expansion slots
Two MPX Modules or up to four PCI Express card slots
Each MPX bay provides:
x16 gen 3 bandwidth for graphics
x8 gen 3 bandwidth for Thunderbolt
DisplayPort video routing
Up to 500W power for an MPX Module
Alternatively, each MPX bay can support:
One full-length, double-wide x16 gen 3 slot and one full-length, double-wide x8 gen 3 slot (MPX bay 1)
Or two full-length, double-wide x16 gen 3 slots (MPX bay 2)
Up to 300W auxiliary power via two 8-pin connectors
Three full-length PCI Express gen 3 slots
One x16 slot; two x8 slots
75W auxiliary power available
One half-length x4 PCI Express gen 3 slot with Apple I/O card installed

Find me a PC motherboard that match this technology and not cost a arm and a leg. Not all Motherboard are the same.

https://www.asus.com/me-en/Motherboards/ROG-Dominus-Extreme/specifications/

I am not very good with mobo.. but anyway, is it good enough?

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
For rendering, yes it will. Pretty much. Renderers use buckets and divide the image up into sections for each thread. There’s an almost linear improvement in render time as you add more cores with most renderers.
Of course there is a little overhead, but not much. A 32 core/64 thread Threadripper CPU will absolutely crush the 8 core Xeon, no doubt about it.

They have no understanding of Rendering if they believe 8 cores/16 threads will match 32/64 cores. It will demolish an 8 core system. A thousand cores/2 thousand threads would render most 8k cells in near real-time. Combined with the GPGPU it absolutely will obliterate an 8 core/16 thread with the same GPGPU.

RenderFarms exist for a reason.

Reactions: Billrey and Marekul

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
Defacto they do.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/HMUA2VC/A/lg-ultrafine-4k-display?fnode=7c

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/HMUB2LL/A/lg-ultrafine-5k-display?fnode=7c

Those are offered as add ons to your purchase order at check out for most Mac products. They are just as "one and only one" input as the XDR ( and previous Apple Display docking stations. )

They cost sustantially less than the XDR. They don't have an Apple logo on the base but they are pragmatically outsourced by Apple. ( LG wouldn't make these if left entirely to their own constraints. ).

After Apple cajoled LG into making these, the aren't going to turn around con cover these with their own product label.

yea.. no lg won't do)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.