Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
As reported by jasper1977 in his post here, Craig Michaels from Apple has confirmed that there is no 24Hz output capability in the ATV4K. Because of this, 24Hz content (typical movie rate) is output at 60Hz instead (typical TV rate), which causes a framerate mismatch leading to visual judder.

If you would like to see this change, please leave feedback at the following link. It will take less than 1 minute. Apple claims to read every single one:
https://www.apple.com/feedback/appletv.html

Before you take the time to respond to me about how nothing will come of this... well you might be right. But the time you took to knock me down is time that you could've posted feedback to Apple instead.

Last edited:

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
While I don't care about 24hz I do appreciate you posting the link. I used it to request support for the HD audio formats which are very important to me.

Reactions: ActionableMango

megatron2000

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
As reported by jasper1977 in his post here, Craig Michaels from Apple has confirmed that there is no 24Hz output capability in the ATV4K.

If you would like to see this change, please leave feedback at the following link. It will take less than 1 minute. Apple claims to read every single one:
https://www.apple.com/feedback/appletv.html

Before you take the time to respond to me about how nothing will come of this... well you might be right. But the time you took to knock me down is time that you could've posted feedback to Apple instead.
Done

Bayshun

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2014
AFAIK, none of the current major streaming boxes support 24fps. I don't know what all these companies seem to have against it.

amro

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2008
AFAIK, none of the current major streaming boxes support 24fps. I don't know what all these companies seem to have against it.

Yep. Shield does. And as much as I hate Android TV and its ugly UI, the Shield outputs amazing picture quality along with all the proper audio formats...Come on Apple. Seriously?

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Oy that just sucks... so much. Good grief, Apple! Not supporting the correct frame-rate for material is plain idiotic in the latter half of 2017... ugh.

Reactions: JRobinsonJr

hipnetic

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2010
My TiVo supports 24Hz and has a VUDU app, and that's been my preferred streaming box for some time. I don't have a 4K TiVo (Bolt) so I'm not certain if that supports 24Hz 4K.

I was hoping this new AppleTV would support 24Hz after hearing them talk about how the latest iPad Pro models could support multiple Hz options. I hate judder.

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States
If you buy a good TV, it will generally compensate for this. Check rtings.com for reviews, there is a judder section that will tell you whether the TV can playback 60i/60p inputs without judder and what settings achieve this. That said, pretty much every single TV out there has no judder with 24Hz input, so I’m not sure why these boxes don’t support it. Maybe it’s because most TV shows are 60FPS, and with movies they expect you to use a Blu-ray player?

xsmett

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2015
That means we need to set Apple TV to 4k to 60fps and live with the 3:2 Pulldown.

But for some of us there might be other problems. 4k with Dolby Vision and 60fps is for example not supported by the pretty common LG Oled B6. We need to manually set the TV to 30fps to get Dolby Vision support. Thats really crap.

The ATV needs 24fps and auto switching framerate. Come on Apple.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Done - Will the judder be that noticeable?
It differs from person to person. If you haven't noticed it so far on regular cable TV or when using other devices that don't support 24Hz (such as the Roku), you're not likely to notice it now (tip: don't go looking for it too closely, you may not be able to "unsee" it in the future ;)).

Many modern TVs do a pretty good job reversing the judder.

andrewstirling

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2015
Hz = cycles per second

Do you mean 24 frames per second (fps)?

In terms of output from the Apple TV, aren’t they largely interchangeable? Of course the display will almost certainly be converting the 24hz signal into a higher multiplier such as 72hz

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
If you buy a good TV, it will generally compensate for this. Check rtings.com for reviews, there is a judder section that will tell you whether the TV can playback 60i/60p inputs without judder and what settings achieve this. That said, pretty much every single TV out there has no judder with 24Hz input, so I’m not sure why these boxes don’t support it. Maybe it’s because most TV shows are 60FPS, and with movies they expect you to use a Blu-ray player?

Actually most TV shows (like actual show
Hz = cycles per second

Yes, and he actually meant 23.976fps (24p).

Anyway, apparently my LG OLED C7 can remove judder from 24p sources played at 60p, so this shouldn't be an issue, I believe...

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Hz = cycles per second

Hz is the correct unit for the refresh rate of the display. Frame rate usually refers to how often the frame buffer of the source is updated and can be different from the refresh rate of the connected display (which causes artifacts such as tearing or motion judder).

Reactions: vipergts2207
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.