Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
No it doesn’t, however if you search for a movie that’s in one of your family accounts you can play it without the need of switching.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
No it doesn’t, however if you search for a movie that’s in one of your family accounts you can play it without the need of switching.
I figured that out. This is so dumb. Every shared user should have access to ALL Shared Movies. And in the Movies App ALL should be ALL not 0. Why have ALL with 0 and then a Family selection then pick the family member with the movies which in my case is me not others. Allow me to have a store account and use my iCloud account to keep tack of what I watch and Arcade and Game Center. Store ID should not be the main place to store watch I and others watch and games.

Reactions: PhoenixDown

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
Strangely, the Apple TV app on Roku allows you to view your Family Members' library just like the Movies app does. o_O
Does it look the same as Movies with ALL = 0 and then you click on Family Sharing (or something like that) where you pick which family member to look at? If so, at least there is hope for us Apple TV customers but very strange.

Alan Gordon

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2014
Dawson, GA
Does it look the same as Movies with ALL = 0 and then you click on Family Sharing (or something like that) where you pick which family member to look at? If so, at least there is hope for us Apple TV customers but very strange.

There's a section for Family, you click on it, and it shows your family members just like the Movies app does.

BF1M

Suspended
Nov 17, 2018
I agree it’s pretty stupid but unlikely to ever change. I was hoping with the profiles addition on Apple TV we might see the ability to do something along those lines but nope.

Ruggy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2017
It is really stupid.
If you are talking about on the TV app on the phone, Mac et., then the shared libraries of films, series etc., are still there in iTunes.

If you aren't familiar with this you have to go to 'purchased' and select the family member of the person that bought them.

The family manager may also have to set up sharing again under Catalina if you've upgraded (I seem to remember having to do that).

Once you've started to watch it on your device it will appear in the TV app.

Otherwise, you have to know what's already shared and when you navigate to it, it'll let you play it rather than telling you to buy it.

I think it's really badly implemented but the whole app is a bit of a mess at the moment in my opinion.
And how that works out on the actual TV I don't know. I haven't got to other family purchases on that yet.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.