Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

truesepho

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2014
Does anybody know if the Apple TV app will be released for LG TVs? I’ve got a LG C9, if I AirPlay from my iPhone don’t think I’ll get 4K :rolleyes:

Reactions: Sandstorm

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I am not sure how credible this report is, but Techcrunch reported awhile back that:
Apple is launching the Apple TV app on smart TVs from Samsung, LG, Sony and Vizio.

The Samsung app will land first, and other manufacturers will get the Apple TV app this spring. The app will also be available on Roku and Fire TV devices. And the company is also launching an Apple TV app on macOS this fall. It’s unclear if you’ll be able to access the service from Android phones, Windows 10 computers, etc.
So far, Apple released apps for Samsung, Roku, and Fire TV.

I heard Sony is close to completion, but have not heard anything on the status of LG port.

Keep in mind that Apple TV app for LG webOS may not output Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos (only 4K HDR10 5.1), at least initially.

From CNET:

Apple TV app with Apple PlusAirPlayWatch iTunes purchased content, Apple TV ChannelsBuy or rent iTunes movies and TV, subscribe to Apple TV ChannelsIntegrate non-Channels content (Hulu, ESPN, Prime video, etc.)Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos
Apple devicesYesYesYesYesYesYes
Samsung TVsYesYesYesYesNoNo
RokuYesNoYesYesNoNo
Amazon Fire TVYesNoYesNoNoNo

Last edited:
Reactions: pauliaK

truesepho

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2014
Thanks for this, I couldn’t find a clear answer :) Hopefully they’ll roll it out in the next few month :rolleyes:

Sandstorm

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2011
Riga, Latvia
I'm also very interested, recently purchased LG C9 OLED as well (super awesome stuff).
AirPlay and HomeKit works (although functions are quite limited), but I really hope there will be an Apple TV app soon, because AirPlay is still a pain to use.

Reactions: truesepho

cookiemonster89

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2012
This is so ridiculous. Apple launched a streaming service with the intention to earn extra money. But still until now no Smart TV other than the current Samsung models can stream the content out of the box. What is Apple thinking. Everybody waited for Apple and is now happy to buy exra hardware just to watch their stuff?

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
This is so ridiculous. Apple launched a streaming service with the intention to earn extra money. But still until now no Smart TV other than the current Samsung models can stream the content out of the box. What is Apple thinking. Everybody waited for Apple and is now happy to buy exra hardware just to watch their stuff?
I fully sympathize. It would be one thing if Apple updated Apple TV 4K. But with rumors of Apple TV getting updated soon, possibly in the spring (it has MacRumor's "Don't Buy - Update Soon" badge, with 819 days since last update as I write this), the timing is just bad.

To be fair, Apple has publicly announced that "Apple TV app will come to LG, Sony and VIZIO platforms in the future", but future is a fuzzy word.

truesepho

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2014
I just airplayed The Morning Show from iPhone to C9 and the quality is really good, but can’t tell if it’s 4K lol
If you click on info while air playing, the 4K logo is there, but don’t know if it’s just an info as in “the show is available in 4K” or “the quality is actually 4K” ?

EDIT: Streamed a bit of The Elephant Queen and it’s definitely 4K, also all the shows are AirPlaying in Dolby Vision which I believe is the a HDR 4K video standard

Last edited:
Reactions: matrix07

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
Same here, B7 from 2017, no chance in hell ha!

Not that fussed, can easily be replicated with other HW, but built in is always nice.

Still tremendously satisfied with my 65” B7, but the one feature I am envious of in new models is variable refresh rate for gaming. Had a gSync monitor for my PC for years, it’s a great feature.

Heyho, won’t be upgrading till at least 2025+, 65” Micro LED I expect.

Sandstorm

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2011
Riga, Latvia
AirPlay is no option for me thanks to LG who only updated the 2019 lineup and I have a C8 from 2018.

This is really not cool. Yes, I have the current one, but this makes me worried that my perfectly capable and super fast 2019 LG model will also soon have some artificial reasons not to get some nice future updates, because, you know, go buy the latest.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
This is really not cool. Yes, I have the current one, but this makes me worried that my perfectly capable and super fast 2019 LG model will also soon have some artificial reasons not to get some nice future updates, because, you know, go buy the latest.

I agree, but I don’t expect meaningful feature updates with tv’s other than basic app updates. It stinks, but I’ve very low expectations in this field, I simply don’t think it’s a “thing” in the tv panel industry.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I agree, but I don’t expect meaningful feature updates with tv’s other than basic app updates. It stinks, but I’ve very low expectations in this field, I simply don’t think it’s a “thing” in the tv panel industry.
This is one of the strong selling points of getting Apple TV 4K. That is, when Apple updates it with more modern components and hopefully a redesigned remote control.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
This is one of the strong selling points of getting Apple TV 4K. That is, when Apple updates it with more modern components and hopefully a redesigned remote control.

I gave up waiting for a refresh and bought one Black Friday. With the £25 voucher and - surprising news to me - 1 years free of ATV+ I won’t feel too burned if a new one comes along in a few months. If it does, I’ll repurpose the current one in another room.

SqueakyBed

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2019
Wait you bought an a 4k Apple TV for £25? Is it like used or something? Becuase I just paid $170 for one, Pre tax lol

Edit: And yes I created an account just to ask you that question lol

Reactions: yegon

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
Wait you bought an a 4k Apple TV for £25? Is it like used or something? Becuase I just paid $170 for one, Pre tax lol

Edit: And yes I created an account just to ask you that question lol

XD

No no I wish, hahaha, I meant the sting of buying old hardware was lessened by purchasing the ATV4K during the Black Friday sale, when I got a £25 store voucher with it, plus a years free ATV+.

Generally speaking, if I’m buying anything Apple I’ll do it within 3 or 4 months of its release at most. The ATV4K was an exception. The last exception I made was buying the Thunderbolt Display in 2013 alongside a Mac Mini. Hilariously, at the time I was reluctant to buy it for fear of a new model round the corner. That new model turned out to be the XDR display lol, about £4K over my budget 6+ years later! The Thunderbolt Display is still going strong, it’s a great monitor, although admittedly old hat @1440p.

Last edited:

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
XD

No no I wish, hahaha, I meant the sting of buying old hardware was lessened by purchasing the ATV4K during the Black Friday sale, when I got a £25 store voucher with it, plus a years free ATV+.

Generally speaking, if I’m buying anything Apple I’ll do it within 3 or 4 months of its release at most. The ATV4K was an exception. The last exception I made was buying the Thunderbolt Display in 2013 alongside a Mac Mini. Hilariously, at the time I was reluctant to buy it for fear of a new model round the corner. That new model turned out to be the XDR display lol, about £4K over my budget 6+ years later! The Thunderbolt Display is still going strong, it’s a great monitor, although admittedly old hat @1440p.

Aaaand nearly a year later there’s still no successor, heheh.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.