Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

purdnost

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
I’ve seen others receive Apple TV app push notifications regarding lives sports games, but does there exist push notifications for newly available episodes of TV shows I’m watching, or new movies available to rent, for example?

JBaby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2015
I only get them on iOS. I don’t get them for movie rentals. Just when new episodes are available.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
I’ve seen others receive Apple TV app push notifications regarding lives sports games, but does there exist push notifications for newly available episodes of TV shows I’m watching, or new movies available to rent, for example?
Assuming you mean the iOS app, go to Settings/TV/Notifications. There you can enable notifications for "Up Next". You'll receive a notification if a new episode becomes available for a show that's on your watch list. I don't think there's a way to be notified of movies becoming available to rent though.

purdnost

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
Do the TV show episodes need to be directly from Apple to get notifications? So far, I haven’t received any new episode notifications for new episodes from Hulu for example. I understand some Netflix episodes can be added to the “Up Next” list while others cannot.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Do the TV show episodes need to be directly from Apple to get notifications? So far, I haven’t received any new episode notifications for new episodes from Hulu for example. I understand some Netflix episodes can be added to the “Up Next” list while others cannot.
Not sure. I know that the notifications work for shows from Apple and from "channels" within the TV app like HBO. Hulu isn't fully integrated though, so it may not work for that.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Like @JBaby mentioned, I only get iOS notifications when new episodes are available to stream. With sports though, I get a notification not only on my iOS devices, but also on the Apple TV itself when my favorite sports teams are about ready to play.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Do the TV show episodes need to be directly from Apple to get notifications? So far, I haven’t received any new episode notifications for new episodes from Hulu for example.
I have just received a notification for the latest episode of "Handmaid's Tale", so it does work with Hulu. :)

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
Like @JBaby mentioned, I only get iOS notifications when new episodes are available to stream. With sports though, I get a notification not only on my iOS devices, but also on the Apple TV itself when my favorite sports teams are about ready to play.
I did too but I have not gotten sports notifications recently..... not sure if it stopped with iOS 13 or not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.