Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 11, 2005
Apple TV+ subsection on main page/sub page.

MR needs a separate section on the homepage on the right side or a tab across the top or both to separate out Apple TV+ content articles as there are more and more coming out rather than including these as part of the general MR news article main page feed. This will become a complete and distinctly separate part of Apple and shouldn’t be part of the “tech feed” that is MR’s main purpose.

LJGlik

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2017
Apple TV+ subsection on main page/sub page.

MR needs a separate section on the homepage on the right side or a tab across the top or both to separate out Apple TV+ content articles as there are more and more coming out rather than including these as part of the general MR news article main page feed. This will become a complete and distinctly separate part of Apple and shouldn’t be part of the “tech feed” that is MR’s main purpose.

Could not agree more. I come to macrumors for news on apple hardware and software, not on television programming. I think this news should be broken off into another page/site so it is not on the homepage newsfeed.

Reactions: jasnw

TacoChowder

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2019
I come from an entertainment background, the discussions and reporting for these things are subpar, at best. There's a few people who're well informed on beyond just surface level things, but the majority of the readership on here are here for tech news. The discussions held in the comments of the articles feel boomers saying "I did/n't like this" and people responding "Well I feel the opposite!" These articles are neither talking about software or hardware, but content.
It's one thing to have an article when we all get a U2 album put onto our phones, it's entirely different to talk about the casting decisions of an Apple produced show. If people want that, there's already websites dedicated to those things, this has never been a place for that.

Even more, there's been posts on here about Amazon hardware, but never their produced shows. It's a competitor now; following the logic, you'd want reports on their casting decisions, no?

Last edited by a moderator:

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
Would like to second the opinion of the OP. I think it would improve the MR experience for many. Perhaps run a poll on whether folks would like to see TV+ show news in the same feed or a separate feed.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Just to pile on here -- aside from the corporate connection this stuff has zero to do with Apple hardware or software.

Foogoofish

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2011
London
I also have to agree, and I came to this part of the forum to make this topic (refreshing to see others agree!).

It honestly comes across as a plug for the TV service. While I am sure (and hope) it is not, it has put me off coming to the website. Why can't there be a separate entertainment section, or a 'soft' content section?

It's like writing about a new album that had come out, back in the days of iTunes.

Judging by the number of comments on the TV articles compared to the real Mac news it also seems like a lot of people aren't really that interested either.

Who knows where this feedback goes, or if it is read...? @arn

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It's like writing about a new album that had come out, back in the days of iTunes.
To be fair, it’s not really like that given that the content that is in question, in addition to the service itself, are all from Apple.

TacoChowder

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2019
A weekly recap would make more sense, since updates about things are relatively small, like a premier where nothing of note happened or someone signing on to a show. Or just a DeadLine section under the "Guides" on the side column? Things in the industry are really fickle. As the catalog grows there's going to be a ton more 'news' coming out.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
I'm not personally interested in Apple TV+ and agree in part with someone upthread who said that this type of content is covered elsewhere in greater depth.

However, the site's remit is to cover Apple-related news, whether its watch bands or content. Just an impression, but I don't see that covering this area is pulling MacRumors' resources away from other areas. Besides, Apple play the long game and move in mysterious ways, especially as they're obviously building strong verticals with services. Despite my scepticism about the fragmentation of streaming services across all media and Apple's approach to entering this market, I don't see why this site shouldn't cover this topic.

There's always room for editorial improvement and tweaks, but bear in mind that no-one posting in this thread is party to any analytics about how this content is performing. MacRumors', in my view, has always been about broad coverage and community, following where Apple are going. If Apple want to build their platform by producing exclusive content, then they clearly have a strategy, which may or may not bear fruit in the long run.

Finally, Apple have incredibly deep pockets. If they won all exclusive streaming rights for the NFL, NBA and MLB, I'm sure the forum threads about this would be on fire.

Foogoofish

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2011
London
There's always room for editorial improvement and tweaks, but bear in mind that no-one posting in this thread is party to any analytics about how this content is performing.

I would be amazed if the main measure of a stories performance was not analysed through community engagement? But hey, what do I know?! :)

Reactions: TacoChowder
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.