Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
I think you misunderstood what I said. It works absolutely fine on my tv.

You said it’s playing in dv like it always has. Except it always hasn’t been. Everyone had the same problem. People who were saying they were getting Dolby vision this entire time had their atv set for Dolby vision without the match settings enabled. So it was forcing it.

ke-iron

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2014
You said it’s playing in dv like it always has. Except it always hasn’t been. Everyone had the same problem. People who were saying they were getting Dolby vision this entire time had their atv set for Dolby vision without the match settings enabled. So it was forcing it.

You got me confused now. I currently have my Apple TV setting on 4K Dolby vision, and match content range and frame rate. Now when I start playing any of Apple shows, it pops up on my screen Dolby vision and Dolby atoms right under it. You’re telling me it’s not showing in the format it says it is?

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
You got me confused now. I currently have my Apple TV setting on 4K Dolby vision, and match content range and frame rate. Now when I start playing any of Apple shows, it pops up on my screen Dolby vision and Dolby atoms right under it. You’re telling me it’s not showing in the format it says it is?

I’ve heard that as of today Dolby vision is working again for atv+. I haven’t tested today. Prior to today it hasn’t been working for anyone. If you were getting Dolby vision prior to today it’s likely a setting was wrong. Some people have reported settings reverting to stock which may explain it. Or not.

Better to have the atv set to sdr rather than Dolby vision or hdr. With match settings on. It will then switch correctly based on the content.

ke-iron

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2014
I’ve heard that as of today Dolby vision is working again for atv+. I haven’t tested today. Prior to today it hasn’t been working for anyone. If you were getting Dolby vision prior to today it’s likely a setting was wrong. Some people have reported settings reverting to stock which may explain it. Or not.

Better to have the atv set to sdr rather than Dolby vision or hdr. With match settings on. It will then switch correctly based on the content.

You’re still wrong. Don’t say it have not been working for everyone. It has been working for me since day one. My Apple TV settings has always been the same as I have just mentioned in my previous reply, and every time I started one of their shows it told me Dolby vision, Dolby atmos. In addition to that it has been visually stunning to look at every single episode of See.

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
You’re still wrong. Don’t say it have not been working for everyone. It has been working for me since day one. My Apple TV settings has always been the same as I have just mentioned in my previous reply, and every time I started one of their shows it told me Dolby vision, Dolby atmos. In addition to that it has been visually stunning to look at every single episode of See.

It hasn’t been working for everyone as Apple disabled it. So it couldn’t have.
HDR was working. Just not DV.

Just tested and as of today DV is back for their shows.

For shows that are technically not available in Dolby vision are you still getting a Dolby vision badge or an HDR badge?

Last edited:

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Up to you. I'm just saying it works and it's easy to turn on and you have nothing to lose. Hopefully apple will fix it someday. But until then it's an option.

I have only my enjoyment of movies to lose, you mean. I don’t use my Apple TV anymore for foreign movies of any sort. It’s a joke that they haven’t fixed this problem yet.

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
I have only my enjoyment of movies to lose, you mean. I don’t use my Apple TV anymore for foreign movies of any sort. It’s a joke that they haven’t fixed this problem yet.

How would changing a simple setting that fixes the issue ruin your enjoyment?

Have you even tried it?
Dejudder 2
Deblur 9

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
How would changing a simple setting that fixes the issue ruin your enjoyment?
Have you even tried it?

Of course not! It doesn’t fix the issue. The issue is in the source-playback device. It’s like trying to wash the exterior of a car to make the engine run better. They’re not related. I feel like you don’t understand the problem enough to be commenting on it.

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
Of course not! It doesn’t fix the issue. The issue is in the source. I feel like you don’t understand the problem enough to be commenting on it.

I understand it fine. Before changing the setting I had the occasional dropped frame on certain content. Now I don’t.
I’m not saying the issue doesn’t exist. I’m saying by changing those settings you can’t see it.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I understand it fine. Before changing the setting I had the occasional dropped frame on certain content. Now I don’t.

No. That’s not how that works. And I don’t know what content you’re talking about. I have no dropped frames in any material except 24hz (not 23.976hz) material. The Apple TV 4K plays back 24hz material at 23.976hz. No amount of tinkering on your TV is going to fix that.

What were you watching that had issues and now doesn’t?

You can google the issue, but it’s a long-standing one. E.g....

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-n...2-apple-tv-4k-lacks-support-24-000-video.html

ke-iron

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2014
It hasn’t been working for everyone as Apple disabled it. So it couldn’t have.
HDR was working. Just not DV.

Just tested and as of today DV is back for their shows.

For shows that technically not available in Dolby vision are you still getting a Dolby vision badge or an HDR badge?

For shows that are in Dolby vision, it pops up when the video starts and say Dolby vision. Shows that support Dolby vision and atmos, it does the same. Shows that are 4K like from amazon prime, it pops up but it has some colorful icon that says HDR. Shows that don’t support any of those fancy formats, nothing pops up it just plays.

But since I’ve been watching See it has always popped up Dolby vision, Dolby atmos, and like I said the visuals have been absolutely stunning, so has the atmos sound. It’s so good on my 4K tv I don’t use my other tv that’s 1080.

I’m not sure why for some others it hasn’t been working or their setting keep switching to something else. That just sounds crazy to me.

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
No. That’s not how that works. And I don’t know what content you’re talking about. I have no dropped frames in any material except 24hz (not 23.976hz) material. The Apple TV 4K plays back 24hz material at 23.976hz. No amount of tinkering on your TV is going to fix that.

What were you watching that had issues and now doesn’t?

I understand that.
Try dark on Netflix. That’s what was recommended to me. Before changing the setting there were dropped frames. After they were no longer visible. Or use any foreign film of your choice to test with.
Works on my LG OLED.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I understand that. Try dark on Netflix. That’s what was recommended to me. Before changing the setting there were dropped frames. After they were no longer visible. Or use any foreign film of your choice.

As I said earlier, no TV setting can fix the issue. I don’t intend to motion smooth over any frame skips/drops. I cannot stand faux motion nonsense.

Another thread:

https://www.avforums.com/threads/apple-tv-4k-owners-thread.2121816/page-293

Anyway, if you’re happy to accept a sub-par image, that’s great for you. I’m not.

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
As I said earlier, no TV setting can fix the issue. I don’t intend to motion smooth over any frame skips/drops. I cannot stand faux motion nonsense.

Another thread:

https://www.avforums.com/threads/apple-tv-4k-owners-thread.2121816/page-293

Anyway, if you’re happy to accept a sub-par image, that’s great for you. I’m not.

Lol. It’s not sub par. And you won’t see any “faux motion nonsense”. No reason to be so stubborn.

I don’t need threads on the issue. I know exactly what it is. In fact I got the “fix” on a thread on avsforum on this very topic. Probably in the very thread you linked.
Dejudder2
Deblur9

Last edited:

Alan Wynn

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2017
Of course. The person quoted was talking about hdr10. Not hdr10+ which nothing uses.
Certainly could be the case, but he specified that HDR10+, so my question was about that. Seen lots of HDR10 vs. DolbyVision comparisons. :)

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Lol. It’s not sub par. And you won’t see any “faux motion nonsense”. No reason to be so stubborn.

I don’t need threads on the issue. I know exactly what it is. In fact I got the “fix” on a thread on avsforum on this very topic. Probably in the very thread you linked.
Dejudder2
Deblur9

I’ve been an obsessive when it comes to frame rates and refresh rates for a very, very long time. All you are doing is masking (badly) a problem that exists. Please show me where this “fix” is stated to “fix” the issue with the Apple TV unable to display 24hz at exactly 24.000hz.

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
I’ve been an obsessive when it comes to frame rates and refresh rates for a very, very long time. All you are doing is masking (badly) a problem that exists. Please show me where this “fix” is stated to “fix” the issue with the Apple TV unable to display 24hz at exactly 24.000hz.

Try and see for yourself. It’s that simple! You don’t need anything from me. It’s quick and easy.
Someone said it worked. I did it. It worked for me. Done.
See what your eyes see. Nothing to lose but a little bit of time.

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA
Looks good on my end!
0123A48C-4ABD-451F-A838-895AD3D1AB3E.jpeg

Last edited:

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
How can you tell? And yes it does mean something.
Why did you say the indicator doesn’t mean anything ?
The indicator there doesn't mean anything other than a label. The issue was that it was still labelled correctly but when you were watching it there was no DV stream being sent. The only ones who thought they still had it was those who forced their TV's to already be in DV mode, but still what they were receiving wasn't really DV.

I normally have my 'menu' set to 4K SDR 50Hz such that those catchup tv and on-demand tv apps that haven't got the inbuilt switching properly coded will run correctly in most cases in my region.

I hope they've fixed it as I stopped watching the AppleTV+ shows. They were so great in DV but the picture was definitely not the same without it.

Reactions: archer75
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.