Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States
You mean HDR10? Apple, along with almost all streaming services, do not support HDR10+.

Also, if HDR10 looks better than DV, your TV maybe the culprit. Which set are you using?
[automerge]1575656311[/automerge]

It's ridiculous that Netflix charges for HD and UHD. This is very cable TV-like behavior. And before someone say "but you get 4 screens", I have no need for 4 simultaneous screen. I just don't want Netflix to look like crap in comparison to Amazon, Apple TV+, Disney+, and Hulu originals.
To be fair Netflix 1080P looks pretty good, even on 4K TV’s.

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
but how do you tell what you’re actually getting if you can’t rely on the label?

That depends on how your tv provides that info. The settings on your devices, etc.
It’s possible to fake it and force it to display Dolby vision when it isn’t. Make sure your match settings are enabled.
It’s like the labels on the back of a disc case. It tells you what’s on the disc even if you can’t get it. But it’s your equipment that says what you’re able to get.
Sometimes those labels on certain streaming services can be dynamic. On Netflix they’ll change based upon the content and your equipment. On other services those labels are static and don’t change. And sometimes it could be bugged and not change when it should.

Last edited:

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
but how do you tell what you’re actually getting if you can’t rely on the label?
Your TV is telling you. And your eyes should clearly see the difference whether it is a real or fake signal. It was very clear when this was broken on my OLED. Absolutely superb again now.

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA
That depends on how your tv provides that info. The settings on your devices, etc.
It’s possible to fake it and force it to display Dolby vision when it isn’t. Make sure your match settings are enabled.
It’s like the labels on the back of a disc case. It tells you what’s on the disc even if you can’t get it. But it’s your equipment that says what you’re able to get.
Sometimes those labels on certain streaming services can be dynamic. On Netflix they’ll change based upon the content and your equipment. On other services those labels are static and don’t change.

thanks but how is that apples responsibility? I have a samsung 4K tv under a year old but if it can’t handle what the Apple TV provides then how is that apples fault? Im still confused how people realized they weren’t getting what they signed up for and determined it was Apple who wasn’t providing the correct content. Does the TV say It’s not getting the correct signal or something?

just got my ATV4K a few days ago so sorry for all the questions. It’s a huge difference from my original ATV.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
thanks but how is that apples responsibility? I have a samsung 4K tv under a year old but if it can’t handle what the Apple TV provides then how is that apples fault? Im still confused how people realized they weren’t getting what they signed up for and determined it was Apple who wasn’t providing the correct content. Does the TV say It’s not getting the correct signal or something?
Yes it does. If you have DV it will show it switched to DV mode. Besides your eyes can tell the differences.

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon

just got my ATV4K a few days ago so sorry for all the questions. It’s a huge difference from my original ATV.

Samsung doesn’t do Dolby vision. So you see a Dolby vision label but it’s not possible for you to see Dolby vision. That’s how you know the label isn’t changing in your case.
The shows are available in Dolby vision, the label said Dolby vision, but people like myself were getting HDR as that’s what the tv said when starting the show.
The Dolby vision issue was noted on many forums and articles. It was fixed yesterday.
Since Samsung doesn’t do Dolby vision the issue with the content not displaying Dolby vision didn’t affect you.

Last edited:

ke-iron

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2014
The indicator there doesn't mean anything other than a label. The issue was that it was still labelled correctly but when you were watching it there was no DV stream being sent. The only ones who thought they still had it was those who forced their TV's to already be in DV mode, but still what they were receiving wasn't really DV.

I normally have my 'menu' set to 4K SDR 50Hz such that those catchup tv and on-demand tv apps that haven't got the inbuilt switching properly coded will run correctly in most cases in my region.

I hope they've fixed it as I stopped watching the AppleTV+ shows. They were so great in DV but the picture was definitely not the same without it.

You guys trying so hard to convince everyone they never watched it in Dolby vision is really sad. Just because it was not working for many does not mean it was not working for all. I know for a fact it worked for me because it will tell me Dolby vision and Dolby atmos when the actual video began playing. My TV has a tells the format it’s playing. If I watched HDR it will pop up when the video starts playing. When I watched something without 4K or HDR, nothing popped up on the screen, the video just played.

if the Apple TV shows were playing in any lesser format my tv would’ve indicated it with the pop up at the beginning of the video. If you guys were correct, when my video started it would have just said HDR or said nothing. But every episode I watched for the past few weeks has been consistently saying Dolby vision, Dolby atmos.

Reactions: Saints1

Saints1

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2004
You said it’s playing in dv like it always has. Except it always hasn’t been. Everyone had the same problem. People who were saying they were getting Dolby vision this entire time had their atv set for Dolby vision without the match settings enabled. So it was forcing it.

That is absolutely not true or accurate. I know exactly how the match settings work on the ATV. I also know that a lot of people are "faking" DV and even HDR not realizing that they have their ATV set up incorrectly. I also know that I watched episodes 1-4 of "The Morning Show" in Dolby Vision on my LG OLED. It wasn't until episode 5 that I lost the Dolby Vision stream and it started showing it in HDR instead. I haven't watched the episode that was released yesterday yet, so I don't know how that is going to do.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
You guys trying so hard to convince everyone they never watched it in Dolby vision is really sad. Just because it was not working for many does not mean it was not working for all. I know for a fact it worked for me because it will tell me Dolby vision and Dolby atmos when the actual video began playing. My TV has a tells the format it’s playing. If I watched HDR it will pop up when the video starts playing. When I watched something without 4K or HDR, nothing popped up on the screen, the video just played.

if the Apple TV shows were playing in any lesser format my tv would’ve indicated it with the pop up at the beginning of the video. If you guys were correct, when my video started it would have just said HDR or said nothing. But every episode I watched for the past few weeks has been consistently saying Dolby vision, Dolby atmos.
I think you misunderstand what the issue was. It was working just fine. And it continued for the earlier episodes. It was simply that for a few weeks that the episodes released in that period did not switch to DV. The content stream simply did not include that information.

if you have your TV set so it is always in DV then naturally it kept doing the conversion. But that is not the same as having the actual stream.

What I find really sad is that you not only argue against something that Apple acknowledges was a fault, but then even call out those who try to explain how this works technically as sad.
[automerge]1575792584[/automerge]
That is absolutely not true or accurate. I know exactly how the match settings work on the ATV. I also know that a lot of people are "faking" DV and even HDR not realizing that they have their ATV set up incorrectly. I also know that I watched episodes 1-4 of "The Morning Show" in Dolby Vision on my LG OLED. It wasn't until episode 5 that I lost the Dolby Vision stream and it started showing it in HDR instead. I haven't watched the episode that was released yesterday yet, so I don't know how that is going to do.
Well considering even Apple acknowledged the problem it is pretty amazing that you managed to watch it in that format ;) I’m sorry but somewhere along the line I suspect you are forcing your TV into Dolby Vision mode.

Saints1

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2004
Well considering even Apple acknowledged the problem it is pretty amazing that you managed to watch it in that format ;) I’m sorry but somewhere along the line I suspect you are forcing your TV into Dolby Vision mode.

Apple acknowledged the problem because there was an issue after episode 4 with DV. You're wrong, so get over yourself.

• Haha
Reactions: cyb3rdud3

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Apple acknowledged the problem because there was an issue after episode 4 with DV. You're wrong, so get over yourself.
You are just unbelievable. You just acknowledged the issue. Yes indeed, episodes 1-3 that were released at the release of TV+ were absolutely fine.

That is just too funny considering your childish reaction. ?

Saints1

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2004
You are just unbelievable. You just acknowledged the issue. Yes indeed, episodes 1-3 that were released at the release of TV+ were absolutely fine.

That is just too funny considering your childish reaction. ?

You're contradicting yourself and not making any sense. I'm bored with you.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
You're contradicting yourself and not making any sense. I'm bored with you.
Ok. Instead of gracefully admitting you had it wrong and moving on you decide it’s my “fault” and I’m boring you.

Anyway it’s fixed now :)

EdRed

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2007
Mother was trying to watch ATV+ content on ATV3 and it kept dropping out the entire day and even subtitles going out of sync. Needless to say it wasn't a great introduction to the service. She clearly wants Netflix back.
This happens to me all the time and it's really annoying.
Video stops, sound keeps playing, then video goes back to before it stopped and restarts completely out of sync with sound and/or subtitles. And the cycle repeats.
The problem goes away if you turn subtitles off.
I've also had other problems watching in the AppleTV app of my MacBook.

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
I also know that I watched episodes 1-4 of "The Morning Show" in Dolby Vision on my LG OLED. It wasn't until episode 5 that I lost the Dolby Vision stream and it started showing it in HDR instead. I haven't watched the episode that was released yesterday yet, so I don't know how that is going to do.
Exactly. That's the issue. The first few of each series did play in dolby vision as you said. Then later episodes only played in HDR, also as you said. And even later the earlier episodes that originally played in Dolby Vision then reverted to HDR only. My statement is accurate. As is your reply confirming my statement. So i'm not sure what you're arguing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.